Meng sci-fi kits from The Wandering Earth

Will Vale

Hi all,

I spotted these in Hobby Search's pre-order page and thought they were pretty interesting:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10667064/10/1

https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=151237

They're kits from Meng (moulded in colour) of machines from The Wandering Earth, a Chinese sci-fi film from which I remember seeing quite a cool trailer. I haven't seen the film though.

AFAICS the 1/100 truck is available - there are several listings from Chinese eBay vendors with pics of the box contents. I'm not sure any of the others are though, although they're all listed as 2019 releases.

The truck must be pretty big even in 1/100 scale, as it's 80 quid. I don't know if it's the *most* coherent design - it looks like slightly generic spec concept art. But it is nice and brutish, particularly the tractor, and appears to make up into a nice model - see pics here:

https://toylandhobbymodelingmagazine.press/2019/03/19/meng-model-wandering-earth-1-of-the-kits-update/

Will be interesting to see if they go ahead with the rest of the range.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will Vale said:

The Wandering Earth, a Chinese sci-fi film from which I remember seeing quite a cool trailer. I haven't seen the film though.

The visuals are cool, but from my POV the story left something to be desired.  aka it was gibberish. :shrug:

• Like 1

I watched half of it last night, it was mad. If they'd used all the interiors and props for a small scale movie it could've been pretty cool, the larger scale stuff felt a bit cheap.

But the story... wow. Ignoring all the bad science, why did everyone have to go into cryo just at the point of crisis?? 

W

4 hours ago, Will Vale said:

But the story... wow. Ignoring all the bad science, why did everyone have to go into cryo just at the point of crisis??

I did warn you ^_^ It's all a bit bonkers.  I'm quite good at suspending disbelief to ignore things like gravity, momentum, and all the other things that would have resulted in failure of their attempt to move earth, but that story... :mental:

9 hours ago, armored76 said:

These look great, indeed. I wonder how credible that February release date is...

@Will Vale Any idea for an "electrified" version? :D

I'd be more confident of the truck (cute and 1/100 versions) as there are pics on eBay of the box contents. Although they're all the same pics, so probably not of a kit in hand. The others seem further away.

It'd be easy enough to light but I don't think I could make it go!

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I did warn you ^_^

You did! I went in with eyes open, and I'll probably still watch the other half as it was still pretty fun.

It was also interesting having the basically racist portrayal of pretty much any Asian character in pre-'90s Hollywood films flipped around. The Aussie-Chinese guy they pick up from the prison was brutally stereotyped.

W

Certianly not lacking in political subtext, i found The Wandering Earth a good fun movie for the effects and unusual disaster scenario. Ill be interested to see how large the space station kit is. 1/3000 sounds small but i have no idea what the size of the station was supposed to be, and at around $110, thats not exactly cheap!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10667074

The Sulawesi engine would also be good, but would need some cool lighting effect for the engine IMHO

14 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Ill be interested to see how large the space station kit is. 

In the second image on Hobby Search it says 430mm long/266mm diameter, so I think it'll be quite impressive without being impossible to shelve.

It also says "multimedia parts providing excellent strength and details" so maybe we can hope for a big sheet of etch? It's a nice "airy" design, for want of a better word.

One the engines would make a great tiny-scale diorama :)

[edit] I found a higher-res image of the truck on a Malaysian site and combining that with the English-language image on Hobby Search it looks like it says:

"pre coloured snap-fit design, 390mm long, audio module included, two 1/100 <something> included, transport truck and mining truck options" or words to that effect. I think the somethings are the funky APCs so you can do the convoy scene.

So not a *huge* model to justify the price, but not tiny either and has some goodies. Will be interesting to see if the sound thing is any good or just a gimmick.

It's also in scale with MG Gundam kits!

W