1/72 DC-9 accuracy

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the Aurora 1/72 DC-9? I have two and I measured the wingspan. It comes up short by 57mm or about 2 3/8". The model span is 367 mm and when I used my 1/72 scale ruler it shows the difference which should be 424 mm. I want to make a longer -32 version so I can make one from the two and use the leftover wing for another project. Can someone also double check my numbers? The real measure I found online is 93" 3".

I believe the kit is for the first production model (DC-9 Series 10), so it will be short when compared later versions. Here is a  factory drawing of the Series 10 thru Series 40 which should answer your questions. You can download the large original drawing here:  https://postimg.cc/mt3wqHCH

Douglas-DC-9-Series-10-thru-40-Display-M

Edited by Space Ranger

31 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Ah, a good old '2 kit stretch'. My favourite way of converting, although it does sound like a prison sentence.

:popcorn: sounds interesting.

Hardest part is cutting the fuselage perfectly straight. I have a bandsaw but it won't cut anything close to where you want it. Have to slowly cut around some dymo tape I guess, can you still get that or is it a '70's thing? The  big office supply stores are very useless and I'm not a fan of amazon. One fuse has open windows, the other has none. Guess I'll fill them and use decals on the sides, want to cockpit left clear. Don't feel like drilling out all the windows, they never come out nicely lined up.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Hardest part is cutting the fuselage perfectly straight.

When I am performing surgery on a 747 I use the panel lines and a 5thou saw blade, which is how wide the revell trenches are. As long as I am slow and careful the cuts come out straight.

8 hours ago, woody37 said:

Local car shops normally do the blue masking tape that is suitably thick to use as a cutting edge

Good to know, thanks.

8 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

When I am performing surgery on a 747 I use the panel lines and a 5thou saw blade, which is how wide the revell trenches are. As long as I am slow and careful the cuts come out straight.

I have a photoetch saw someplace, it might be a bit bent though.

19 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I just looked at mine, that works. I was going modify it at the roots but the tips sound better and easier. Did you come up with the same difference I did?

Not done any serious measurements yet.