AdrianMF's 2019

AdrianMF

The year started with a FROG Beaufighter, which had swapped a bunch of parts with an Airfix one as part of a Beaufort build:

IMG-6034.jpg

Then I finished my FROG(ish) Beaufort after ten months, on and off:

IMG-6022.jpg

IMG-6025.jpg

In the Trainers GB I did a Novo Magister:

44633184-F37-F-4-CEB-8878-070-EFD122-FB6

A Novo Oxford:

Oxford-LH-Rear.jpg

and a Pegasus Master I:

MAster-LH-Rear.jpg

Next up, the FROG Squad GB, in which I did a Novo Proctor:

IMG-6054.jpg

A FROG Wyvern:

IMG-6074.jpg

A Novo Master III:

IMG-6087.jpg

A FROG Mustang II converted to a Mustang I:

77-D67-DB9-3-F4-D-440-E-997-C-CF789-BA4-

And a Novo Master III converted to a Master II:

IMG-6111.jpg

Although I have a fairly random approach to subjects, these group builds gave me some themes. Miles Masters:

IMG-6119.jpg

And trainers:

IMG-6121.jpg

In the August Blitzbuild GB I did the third production Spitfire from the Airfix kit:

IMG-6099.jpg

And in the Year I Was Born GB I did the Revell X-15:

37-F10-EDD-59-D5-4796-BF1-F-9012928-F607

In the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB I spectacularly failed to finish an Empire but learned a lot about vac forming big things:

FDB1-C908-5-ECB-4538-9508-5-D30406-CBC1-

I am treating this as two builds: "Learn to vacform big stuff" and "Build an Empire from a dodgy vac fuselage and Airfix Sunderland flying surfaces". So build #1 I am calling done and build #2 will be coming to a WIP forum in the new year.

Tomorrow I hope to add a second Blitzbuild to my tally for the year:

D76-D095-F-5-D01-49-A2-95-DB-1-D1621-D8-

[edit] And I did:

7-A0-D8885-2-F8-D-4-A36-9153-2-A73-E5-DD

And the shelf of shame continues to haunt me (same photo as last year!), although some progress has been made on the Fairey Long Range Monoplane since:

070-A7-CF4-7-F4-E-4-C44-947-A-391-D569-F

And I promised to revive a Rareplanes Breda65 for Pat in the KUTA:

62-D7-AEB3-F72-D-474-B-A0-D7-4-CC3-AC402

So that's 13 finished-finished for the year, more than I expected. I have been driven by some really interesting Group Builds this year, and hope to do some more in 2020.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 35

I've said it before but I'll say it again, for a crazy person you do really nice work. A themed collection of high quality, really looking forward to next years madness, crack on!

ps

Is that a Demon on the shelf of shame?

Edited by spaddad
  • Haha 1

A fantastic line up Adrian. If pushed into making a choice, then my personal favourite would be the Wyvern, it's a great result from the FROG kit. I look forward to catching up with more of your builds in 2020, particularly seeing how things progress with the Empire build. I am very impressed by your work on that one so far, especially the 'old school' pattern making for the vac-form fuselage.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

If I could build new kits half as well

You do - I only photograph the good sides! On the other hand, I wish my build logs were even half as interesting as yours...

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work mate

Thanks Stew

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

All that yellow

No-o-oo-o trainers next year. No sirrie...

...well maybe a cheeky Martlet conversion to clear out the last Master kit.

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

for a crazy person

You know I only do conversions to annoy you ;)

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

Is that a Demon

It is indeed! Stalled on the ‘orrible fabric effect on the wings. I sanded it down a bit but it just looked worse. I think I will sand it all off and do the pen-embossed 5 thou card trick when I get around to it. I should have ignored it and just painted the thing. Airfix modified some of their moulds to add the fabric ridges in 1962 or thereabouts - the earlier Hart, Anson and Walrus are much nicer kits with smooth wings.

The Fairey flying surfaces will get Solartrim tapes for the ribs - too big for card!

55 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Wyvern

Thanks John. I just couldn’t get excited about the colour scheme at the time, which is why it ended up on the naughty shelf. It needed the scribing to give it some interest though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecov said:

Displaying your shelf of shame too

If I don’t get embarrassed I won’t do anything to fix it :)

(and there’s a few more too but we -ahem-, er, shuffle, (mumbles) don’t talk about those...)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 4:10 PM, AdrianMF said:

You know I only do conversions to annoy you ;)

It is indeed! Stalled on the ‘orrible fabric effect on the wings. I sanded it down a bit but it just looked worse. I think I will sand it all off and do the pen-embossed 5 thou card trick when I get around to it. I should have ignored it and just painted the thing. Airfix modified some of their moulds to add the fabric ridges in 1962 or thereabouts - the earlier Hart, Anson and Walrus are much nicer kits with smooth wings.

So that's not a fuselage extension plug between the cockpits ?

• Like 1

Given the amount of work & heartache that went into just the Beaufort I'm trying to imagine the circumstances that forced you to abandon the 4 shelf of shamers you've shown us, as none of them look particularly hopeless.

• Like 1