Well, it had to happen, it was just a matter of having the time, I've bought a resin printer...

Now this really is cheating, but I don't care, at the the drawings are mine

All resin printers seem to have problems with the print sticking to the tank not the build plate and so failing.  Mine did the same, 5 times.  I read every post i could find, watch 2 videos to no avail.  Then I noticed that the slicing software has a setting for the type of resin being used.  I'd bought black (without thinking really, lazy as it was added by amazon).  I'd been using the wrong print settings.  No thread told me to check the colour settings for the resin, crazy.  Anyway, with grey loaded and the grey settings, perfect result, sigh..

DSCN1788

The real trigger was the twin Vickers turret.  I just know I'll get that drawing wrong a couple of times at least.  Using Shapeways to test print stuff is really expensive, now I can run my own tests

Anyway, here are the 3 Carley floats, all printed together in 30 minutes, as printed, primed and then painted with the grab ropes added

DSCN1789

There will be more weathering of course but I'm pretty pleased so far...

Also, below you can see the winch in primer assembled with the wire-rope added, coming together well, Holman projector in the foreground and tissue paper canvas screening on the breakwater installed in the background

DSCN1790

Steve

• Like 10

Loving this build it is like watching a Zen master. :worthy:

Oh and I don't think 3D printing is "cheating" any more than using Photo Etch or any other modern technique, life is short enough! I'm considering one myself, slightly put off at the moment by reputation for malodorousness malodouricity err... smelly so it will probably have to wait for my new shed. I'll be interested to read your experience.

• Thanks 1

Very nice! I bought one of those a month or so back but haven't had reason to use it yet. With Shapeways price increases I don't expect to sell any more from my shop, but at least I'll be able to print them myself and sell them!

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

smelly so it will probably have to wait for my new shed.

Actually, its not so bad, or maybe I'm just used to chemical smells, I love the smell of large diesel engines for instance, strange but true. 

Plus I think all the gloves and masks are only included for millennial's, I wouldn't drink the resin, but I've had worse on my skin and emerged unscathed and unrepentant :jump_fire:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Actually, its not so bad, or maybe I'm just used to chemical smells, I love the smell of large diesel engines for instance, strange but true.

Then you'd really like our son's pick-up truck.

50047643096_0a0e8639b0_w.jpg

:winkgrin:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The second one always goes quicker, sometimes its even better.  Here is the second torpedo tube having its side brackets soldered on.  These jump at the slightest movement or just the flux evaporating, getting them to sit still and be soldered is easier to write than do.  The wire is tying the tube to the casing to make sure they are placed correctly, the edges get tidied up after soldering.  Because I'm so heavy handed, I always solder over-size pieces together and then file them back to shape.  Early on, I tried to fit exact pieces, but it inevitably went wrong and ended up in the bin

DSCN1791

And here they are both primed white and in place, nice to see it balanced up, you'll see I've had a clear up and found the missing rating.  On this shot you can see the 3-inch gun mounting ring base, printed on my new printer :elephant: 

In the bottom right corner, you can just make out the back of a smoke machine.  This has had 3 prints so far, sorting out supports has been not easy.  None of the prints are good enough but the last one was OK to try to drill the 0.5mm wire holes, not a success.  I'll have to go up in size a bit for the valves, they are scale but way too flimsy to be workable.  Still, overall the look of this really complex drawing is there, just need more tweaking

DSCN1792

Here's the view from the bow

DSCN1793

The ring in the foreground is for the forward 2 pdr, the etching drawing for that is progressing very slowly, its super complex with the riveting etc.  You may remember that I ordered the barrels from Shapeways in brass way back in April.  The new delivery date is now August due to the virus shutting the foundry.  This gun will be all brass, a model in its own right

I'll keep posting as I go, hopefully not too repetitive

Steve

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, FlyingSpanner said:

It’s really coming together now Steve, amazing how a coat of paint and it suddenly looks finished 🙂

Still mostly primer, plenty to go yet

Thanks

Steve

The perfect solution to filling a cable reel without wasting yards of cable, you print two halves of a ribbed core and just add the last layer. (after painting the ends steel of course...)

DSCN1794

Loving this printer, you can see the emperor Trajan in the background looking on, he's destined for my daughter's designer dolls house, a project from many years ago, recently re-discovered (by her..), at least its now out of our loft, do they ever really leave....

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Finally, after 5 attempts, I managed to print the smoke machine without problems.  I had wanted to fit one of these to the ML but didn't think i could make one that was good enough not to let the model down.  I'm happy with this result, though the 0.5mm wire work is really fiddly, not sure you can see all the detail in these pictures, but soldering 0.5 mm wire to 1mm tube and then slotting it over .5mm wire to join the cylinders was interesting to say the least, shown below in primer

DSCN1796

and sitting on the rear deck, about where it belongs, it is incredibly fragile....

DSCN1797

Also in this shot, you can see a couple of smoke floats and the mounting bases for the de-mountable stanchion run used if she was fitted for mine laying, tiny little details to reward someone looking very closely

Also in primer now, a selection of lockers, RUL's, the wash-deck locker and the two screens, veg and meat, there are 5 different type of RUL alone, so many different guns, about 25 lockers in total.  Just on the edge of the picture is the second type of Carley float, a square form one, 2 of which are fitted to the breakwater screen,.  She carried 5 Carley floats, a reflection of the overmanning required to service so many guns with no space for lifeboats

DSCN1795

And, I finally got around to making the second Oerlikon, I have to space repeats out, it get really boring making the same thing twice, or more.  Still, they look pretty similar, ~30 pieces in each

DSCN1799

Last post for a 2 weeks, we are braving the outside world and visiting France

Steve

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, Steve D said:

... really boring making the same thing twice, or more. ....

Having scratch built the lockers on my last three builds, I know what you mean.  

She's coming along great.  :yes:

Stay safe during your travels Steve.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Murdo said:

Amazing work!

:worthy:

Thank you for the nice comments and the series of likes.  All I'm trying to do is show everyone that this kind of modelling is perfectly accessible and that you don't need to be a professional to produce museum quality models, you just need to be prepared to chuck a lot of stuff away in the process...

I wanted to make one point on scaling.  I draw everything on CAD at 1/4 inch to the foot, but the 3D drawings are drawn full size (to scale) in MM.  When I'm reducing drawings to scale, I find that ships and components were natrually made in whole inches, often whole multiples of 3 inches, to keep things simple.  So, when I scale something to 41.67 inches on a drawing, obviously it was actually 42 inches. 

1.89 is now a number engraved on my brain, 1mm at 1/4 inch scale scale being 1.89 inches in full size.  The brass shapes I use are mostly measures in mm also, wire, tube etc. so I'm perpetually interchanging  My engineering education was imperial at school, metric at university (mostly), then I joined an American engineering company and went back to imperial units and the strange semi-imperial unit of KSI (kilopounds per square inch!!).  My whole life has mixed the two, I tend to do woodwork in inches, but use mm for small stuff....  I'm probably the last generation to have this strange approach to units....

Steve

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see primer/paint going on...brings out the details nicely

Thanks Stuart, yes, its looking very clean at present, quite happy with the result so far

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

Steve - knocked out by the printer and the printed items, the quality looks amazing.  I had not appreciated they had come down in price so much.

The whole piece is really coming together.  You are not alone in working with mixed units.  It's just as chaotic in medicine where we mix and match with imperial.  Curiously we are probably close in age, and being educated in Wales I was ONLY ever taught in metric.  Lots of younger people I know in England primarily STILL work in imperial:unsure:

Steve - for someone who has no more IT experience than Microsoft Office - how long would it take to learn a CAD programme - do you think to reach the level of design that you are at with regards to your printed pieces?

She is really looking the part now

Rob

• Thanks 1

robgizlu

Fusion 360 is a good system that has plenty of from basics on-line tutorials (eg YouTube) to get your head around how 3D drawing programmes work. It is also free to hobby users but not with 'all bells and whistles'.

Les

Rob

For the 3D drawing, I use 123Design which used to be free, maybe charged for now.  It takes a while to get quick with it, but is really easy to use if you use the grid to separate things, lots of youtube videos to watch. 

For the 2D drafting, I use TuboCAD which is a kind of low rent Autocad.  I have been using it for years and am so used to it now, I won't change.  I downloaded Fusion 360, but it doesn't offer anything different to the two I use.  While many tools offer both 2D and 3D (such as Turbocad) really these are different objectives and I think are easier to separate.  2D for etching and 3D for printing.  There are a load of free tools on the market, I've tried many, but for me, the speed and shortcuts these tools offer win, I guess its what you get used to

Cheers

Steve

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Rob

For the 3D drawing, I use 123Design which used to be free, maybe charged for now.  It takes a while to get quick with it, but is really easy to use if you use the grid to separate things, lots of youtube videos to watch. 

For the 2D drafting, I use TuboCAD which is a kind of low rent Autocad.  I have been using it for years and am so used to it now, I won't change.  I downloaded Fusion 360, but it doesn't offer anything different to the two I use.  While many tools offer both 2D and 3D (such as Turbocad) really these are different objectives and I think are easier to separate.  2D for etching and 3D for printing.  There are a load of free tools on the market, I've tried many, but for me, the speed and shortcuts these tools offer win, I guess its what you get used to

Cheers

Steve

Actually, that wasn't very helpful.. What I do is scan images/drawings etc and then upload them to the 2d tool where I can scale them to the right size.  Then I measure using the 2d tool or redraw them at the right scale before modelling in 3D.  A 2D drafting tool that  can upload jpg images is essential to get drawings ready to model in 3D.  Hopefully a more constructive response

Steve

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sorry to say that I have not followed this build as diligently as it deserved.

Steve,

Don't worry, there's a few month left to rectify that :rofl:

• Haha 1