As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

So far so wonderful. :) This is looking just amazing Steve.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, one small piece at a time, with no thought to when I will be complete  :waiting:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

With yours and others extensive knowledge of this class, can you point me in the direction of drawings of the later gas turbine installation?

Les

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

With yours and others extensive knowledge of this class, can you point me in the direction of drawings of the later gas turbine installation?

Les

Hi Les,

I'm afraid I don't have any information on that point (I've seen a picture on-line of a model is all, I'm sure you have that). 

"Fast Attack Craft" by Phelan and Brice, 1977 has this not very good image of gas turbine driven MGB 2009 (later 5559) which looks very like the SGB hull but I think is actually a development of MTB501, (note sloping charthouse front) a Vosper class that is shorter, one of which was a blockade runner Gay Viking, which looks pretty cool.

SGB gas turbine mod

However, if you reach out to the Old Bell Foundry (Greenwich Museum records office), they may well have drawings for that conversion, it is the sort of thing they keep.  The contact I spoke to is Andrew Tullis ( ATullis@rmg.co.uk ) who was very helpful, however, with the shut-down, they may not be answering emails.

Sorry, that's all I have

If you do find anything, please post it here, I'd like to see it

Cheers

Steve

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

Les

Also, check out this youtube video 

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

Les

Did a bit more digging and found this picture in a little paperback publication called RN Minor War Vessels in Focus, Lt Cdr Ben Warlow 2001, not seen this published on-line, might help with details

Grey Goose turbine 2

Hi Steve

Thanks for the postings- the video shows just how well that hull could perfom and  I am surprised Grey Goose has not had more attention from kit manufacturers.

I'm not sure but think the turbine design in MGB 2009 was a co development of  MetroVic's power unit for their Western Region gas turbine locomotive 18100

I'll be trying to follow up your suggestions once we are all settled back into post covid normality.

Les

As a ps, you might be interested in looking at Airscale's blog on Large Scale Planes of metal skinning a 1/18 scale Mustang

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74079-118-p51c-mustang-lopes-hope-the-3rd/

I’m just catching up with this, my word it’s spectacular, real proper modelling at it’s best.

Thanks, it's all I know, think I'm too heavy handed to work with plastic.  You know where you are with metal🔨, solder runs towards heat, should be simple