4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

On the instruction sheet for Grey Goose the color chart has it listed as Corticene/ Linoleum and the main deck as G20-CCRN25 if that helps

I cannot believe they painted a large chunk of the foredeck red!!  The linoleum/corticene is a dark brown, but that would not be installed here, its an interior finish and not anti-slip.  This is certainly Semtex which I can only find on the colour charts as Ivory til 1940 and then flat green. 

G20 is a sort of pale sage green and Grey Goose is shown on all the pictures in the light blue-green Western Approaches scheme so a pale green deck is most definitely possible.  Grey Fox carries a version of a dark coastal forces colour scheme and the pictures how the upper surfaces dark.  Really, who knows unless we can find someone who served on her...

As ever, colour debates are endless

I've gone with 120 grit paper in the end - thanks for the suggestion Les.  I tried 4 different ones and this one came out best when painted, certainly anti-slip but not in your face so.  Time will tell once its weathered down

Of course, its a right awkward shape and edged in .8mm x .5mm brass strip (that I happened to have lying around as you do...)

DSCN1885

I think it will look pretty smart painted, whatever colour I land on :hmmm:

Steve

• Like 8

10 hours ago, gunzo said:

By the way Steve, I've been through most of my sources and cannot find any more detail for thse 'catamarans'.

Thanks Les, I can't find anything either.  However, blowing this picture up, I'm thinking they are simple canvas covered cork pad fenders, stacked one on top of the other.  I have a sweet little book published in 1946 by a Captain Isard that contains simple illustrations of ship fittings.  Here you can see a rectangular cork pad for use on the gunwale and the picture does seem to be two very large versions of that (2 ft square and each 16" thick) with rounded sides, top one painted deck colour 

fender

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work as usual

Thanks Stuart, I'm just trying to work my way through this the best I can.  I have to say though, I'm quite pleased with it so far, most of the really hard bits are done now

So,  I painted it flat green just to see what it looks like and its sort of growing on me, not as startling as I had thought, though it looks a bit like AstroTurf in this picture.  In reality its a bit darker than this picture indicates and while its far too bright right now, I guess it could work.  Edge not painted yet btw.  Weathering will blend it in more, it certainly is a talking point

DSCN1886

I'm going to sleep on it, quite a big decision

Steve

• Like 4

I must admit my recollection of Cavallier when in South Shields was of a rather darker hue than you seem to have (I am loathe to trust computer colour translation). The red I mentioned earlier was, again to my recollection, a deep dark verging on a russet brown (perhaps not quite such a luftwaffe magnet).

Les

12 hours ago, gunzo said:

Cavallier when in South Shields

Googling that gave me dozens of pictures of spaniels.  It would seem un-necessary, certainly illegal and possibly unhelpful to Semtex a spaniel, whatever colour was chosen .:analintruder:

Re the colour, I know what you mean, I worked offshore in the 70's in the oil business and from your prompting, remember red/brown Semtex decks on various vessels, however, I don't think it applies here.  I'm actually slightly worried that I've got it completely wrong and she was painted in a unique set of greens.  The vessels with the curved camouflage were certainly in 3 shades of green as Beefy pointed out for Goose.  Having worried about this overnight, I've decided that Fox was unique within the class being the only vessel with these straight lines, and so I'm going to close my eyes and stick with the grey pattern and MS2 deck, all of it.  So, now I'm stopping talking about colour completely, or may get too depressed to continue :locked:

2 hours ago, Ripaman said:

this is an absolutely brilliant model

Thanks Stuart, and for all the generous likes.  Overall, I'm really enjoying this build, sharing it with the community and still learning as I go, which is what it is all about

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

... stick with the grey pattern and MS2 deck, all of it. ...

Good plan, Steve.

Doing a little quick research, I couldn't find any WWII RN ships or boats with green decks.  That's not to say there weren't any, but they're really hard to find.  Green seems to be a more prevalent deck colour in the post WWII era.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gunzo said:

Steve

As far as I am aware, semtex or whatever could be painted over with any suitable colour, although I supect the over coating would weather quite quickly with boot scuffs etc.

Les

I was thinking the same thing.  Even if the deck was a couple of colours when it left the shipyard, it would probably only stay that way until the first repaint when only one paint colour would be used.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

painted over with any suitable colour

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

I was thinking the same thing

Exactly, its back to the blue grey of the rest of the deck and they'll need to find somewhere else for a kick about (it really did look like AstroTurf).  The surface finish is subtle (probably helped by two coats of paint), I like it

• Like 2

Meanwhile, I've been making spoons.  Well raft paddles actually.  Five rafts means 10 paddles, a steady job.  Luckily, in my wood pile was a length of 1.2 mm thick cherry wood sheet.  I love cherry wood, just saying.

Each one is traced out, cut out and then sanded to shape, hand made so they all look slightly different but very similar, finish is a coat of tung oil, 15 minutes for each, all done now.  The blank at the end was for the spare I needed when I oversanded the 8th shaft, sigh....

DSCN1887

I'm sort of working my way from the bow picking up on the last bits I overlooked while focusing on the large components so lots of random stuff to come

Steve

• Like 6