• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone wondered, our phone line and internet connection has been down for almost two weeks now, very frustrating and not a little debilitating for the small amount of work I still have to accomplish...  Still progress has continued on the SGB.

Stanchions are all done and wired up, :phew:

For those how didn't read the Fairmile thread, I use split pin stanchions from James Lane.  These come over length and need to be soldered together and to a base which I've etched.  The whole process is repetitive and fiddly, this vessel has ~ 60 to do, in three different heights, some 3 hole and 2 hole on the forecastle.  This picture shows the gig I made to hold them at the right height while soldering

DSCN1909

And this is one of the 4 stayed stanchions at the gangway entrance set up for silver soldering

DSCN1910

And here is the full set for one side being painted, with the mast turnbuckles in the background

DSCN1911

And lastly, installed and ready for the handrail wires

DSCN1912

The wires are made from 0.2 mm dia coated 7 strand wire, connected using 0.8mm brass tube, compressed to hold.  Here is a shot of the deck with the wires installed

DSCN1917

You can see the gangway entrance in the distance, the starboard side one has its chain installed (behind the 3 inch gun)

The mast is in and rigged, though this picture is a little out of focus, you can still see the lead fishing weights I use to simulate the insulators installed on the stay wires (those tiny black blobs on the wires), quite noticeable on the pictures of the real vessels

DSCN1913

Here is a close-up of the lower end rigging

DSCN1913

Steve

• Like 5

Update part two

I paint my ensigns, here is the linen set up for painting, the fabric paint lasts a long time when you only paint a flag a year at most, these tubes are 30 years old and still fine, a lifetime purchase...

DSCN1919

First side done

DSCN1920

Once painted on both sides, the edge is painted with varnish to prevent fraying and its cut out, soaked in weak PVA and clamped in position to dry

DSCN1922

And finally, installed on the mid-ships jack, which to the pictures seems to be where they were run up

DSCN1923

Also in this picture you can see the life-buoys finished and one of the 5 carley floats installed, note the flags in the flag locker and other details sorted out

Here is the forecastle with everything secured in place, cover on the boat rolled back to show the interior detail and anchor cable run through the deck sheaves to route past the holman projector

DSCN1924

So, finally an overview shot, more or less complete in this picture.  

DSCN1925

I'm waiting on the case and the oak board to mount it on.  Once that's all complete, I'll post some shots on the "ready for inspection" forum. 

This is the end of the build thread, thank you for reading it and also for the generous comments and likes, I hope there were points of interest and take away's of use.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in the house, probably more than my wife is.  Time for a drink methinks :drink:

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 15

Steve, I have really enjoyed your build, the craftsmanship, and explanation of how you did it. A superb build. I stand in awe and in some lifetime, hopefully, I will be just half as good in building. Thank you for sharing. Bravo Zulu.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jerry L said:

Steve, I have really enjoyed your build, the craftsmanship, and explanation of how you did it. A superb build. I stand in awe and in some lifetime, hopefully, I will be just half as good in building. Thank you for sharing. Bravo Zulu.

Thanks for the kind comment, 25+ years in and I'm still learning and making more mistake than components.  Really, given the time and energy I spend, I should be better :hmmm:

I just hope people feel this technique (use metal for metal and wood for wood etc) is not just possible but assailable and so not limit ambition to kits

Steve

A wonderful build Steve. That truly is a masterpiece. I've thoroughly enjoyed following the thread & have gained a greater understanding of the SGBs, long a favourite. I would be quite happy with a 1/72 kit now. :)

Steve

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Courageous said:

looking forward to you next challenge.

Thanks Stuart and of course to all the other kind comments.  These coastal forces models need to be joined by the enemy to place it all in context. 

My research into the Type 38 Schnellboot (without the armoured cupola) is at the drawing stage now, I'll start that thread next week.  Overall, it's a simpler model but the hull lines are quite subtle as I'm discovering with the drawing

At 1/48th scale, that's a model ~ 28 inches long, nice size, pretty much the same as the Fairmile B

Steve

• Like 1

This has been an inspirational build, I have been a closet follower for sometime and will sorely miss it, what you have achieved there is another true masterpiece, look forward to seeing it on RFI !

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

I'm not a maritime guy, but a great model is a great model, no matter the subject.

This is gorgeous, and your build thread has been very interesting and informative. I've probably learned more nautical terms here than in my entire life up to now.

Even if I don't really understand what they mean!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dancona said:

I have been a closet follower for sometime and will sorely miss it

Thanks David, hopefully, you won't have long to wait, the Schnellboot thread will start next week.

I started this one with the intention to provide all the information necessary for others to make a similar model.  But, to be honest, the guns among other things were quite hard and probably not suitable for a first scratch build.  I've been studying the S-boat and it certainly could be a first scratch build.  My hope is to make it available in component form if others want to build one (think ambitious kit).  The frames will be a CAM sheet from 4d or similar, the etching sheets will be available and printed components I can make or forward the 3d models.  I'll explain all this in that thread 

4 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Incredible work! Bravo!  

Ha, nice of you to post those two juxtaposed, 9 months between the two states, not so shoddy...

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

I've probably learned more nautical terms here than in my entire life up to now.

Thanks Ian, I'm always very keenly aware that there are people on this forum who actually served and know what they are talking about so I'm very conscious of trying to use the correct terms 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

"Ha, nice of you to post those two juxtaposed, 9 months between the two states, not so shoddy..."

9 Months and not so Shoddy just goes to show that some people just have to much time on their hands  :whistle:

brilliant stuff Steve great WIP this has given more than me some serious thought about trying this stuff but maybe in a smaller scale for now 

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

some people just have to much time on their hands 

46 years at work without a gap and hardly a day missed, makes a nice change to have the time to indulge :elephant:  I've never had so much time on my hands   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Post-script

After that post, I realised that I'd not closed the story on the mystery box.  I still have no clue what it's for or what I does, but I thought making it might help (in copper, naturally)

DSCN1926

That is to the drawing and it does bare a resemblance to the pictures.  Here it is in white primer on the deck where it goes (could it be a tool box for the torpedo tube possible?, or stowage for boat fenders, it is right by the gangway after all?). 

On the best picture, you can just make out that its on short legs so 1 mm x 1mm brass angle was used.  That top is sooo... strange, I'd love to know what it is

DSCN1927

The oak is on order, but I made up the mounting columns, the aim it to have it seem to float in the air.  The forward one locates with a brass bar into a tube in the keel, keeping it upright, mounted below on some scrap chipboard

DSCN1928

Steve

• Like 10

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

A great build.  I might be able to shed some light on the mysterious boxes near the torpedo tubes.  One reference I used a long time ago said that there were paraffin tanks on the upper deck for replenishing the torpedo engine heating paraffin.  Looking at those boxes, I suggest they may be the storage tanks with an additional screening cover to reflect heat from the sun as used to be fitted on the top of pyrotechnic tanks too.  Rod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rod Davies said:

One reference I used a long time ago said that there were paraffin tanks on the upper deck for replenishing the torpedo engine heating paraffin.

Hi Rod,

That's really interesting, you may well be on to something there.  On Medea, there was a square rack for petrol tin storage for the motor tender (those old rectangular petrol tins) that is about the same size, I'd not thought of that

Cheers

Steve