Detailing the obstacle course that is the forecastle on this vessel

DSCN1888

Anchors still not made, but otherwise this area is coming together.  Chart house glazed now, ammo hoist block added, cowl vents inplace, chain added to the wire rope reels, weird RUL with side locker (shown on one of the pictures and the admiralty drawing) made, first two carley floats competed, holman projector and winch not fixed yet, I need the anchor and a weighting chain added looped back to the stowage point by the boat, plus of course the stanchions and other misc hawsers etc.  It will be busy. 

The boat canvas cover is drying, papier mache again.  It will be left rolled back but not fully to show the boat internal detail

Steve

• Like 7

Spent a boring morning adding 0.5 mm wire locking bars to the RUL's, 6 per unit, 10 units, been putting it off til now..  Anyway to brighten the day, I made one of the Holdfast anchors using the etched blade I'd added to the first etch sheet.  But I'd been lazy and used the same etching as the Fairmile, why?  don't know.  Anyway an anchor for an 85 ton displacement launch is going no where on a 240 ton mini-destroyer.  One glance at the drawings showed my how far off I was.  So, its back to scratch building the larger two anchors, good practice I guess

Still, its a nice anchor, I'm sure I'll find a use for it one day.  In the background four new swan-neck vents, the ones I'd made months ago are two large, looked all wrong, these are much better.  By the end I'll have made two models at this rate

DSCN1889

Steve

• Like 7

After downloading a proper drawing of a plow anchor and rescaling it against the GA, it turns out that the arm is OK, it was just the blade that's wrong.  So, that speeded things up a little

Here is the first anchor and bottom chain ready for priming in my spray bay (slightly out of focus sorry)

DSCN1890

And just to prove I can do it again, here are the two anchors together, one in paint and one brass.

DSCN1891

The bolts are 14BA on the hinge and the shackle.  I rummaged around in the garage and found an old tin of silver car spray, must be 10 years at least.  Anyway, this terrible old spray can splattered like mad and I was just about to re-paint it when I realised the effect is exactly like galvanised steel, so its a keeper :thumbsup: job done so on to the next item on my punch list which is the mast

Running out of reasons not to start the stanchions, soo boring :sleep_1:

Steve

• Like 9

Mast done, I remade the mast bands, much better, couldn't find where I put the yard so made a new one of those etc etc.

Small iterations towards a model I'm happy with, sigh...

DSCN1892

And primed installed with the yard crossed (suspended on its safety chain) and the bell hung, ready for 4 tiny shackles tomorrow

DSCN1893

Still got the splinter padding round the twin Vickers mount and platform, a probably rework of the boiler casing handrails which I've decided I don't like, mast rigging, lifebelts and three more raft's ropework and

Stanchions, I know.....

Steve

• Like 10

Today a parcel arrived filled with AK interactive weathering pencils, I bought the full box of 37, seemed cheaper that way, picture is out of focus, sorry

DSCN1896

These are acrylic paint in pencil form, really colouring in crayons.  You can apply them dry and then wash them out with water, or apply to a wet surface, or dip them in water or just leave them dry.  As you know, I'm hopeless at painting and even worse at weathering, so after watching a couple of videos on youtube, I thought this might be something  I could handle.  You can wipe them off with water or I guess acrylic thinners even when dry, so they should be safe to work with and experiment

Here is the result of an hours trial and error on the stern and rear deck.  It actually looks better in real life than this bad picture, very interested in your thoughts and suggestions

DSCN1895

Steve

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

your weathering is nice and subtle

You're very kind Stuart, but I think I managed to turn it into a Soviet freighter, you can almost hear someone shouting "get that deck cleaned, now!..." 

It was an experiment in the use of the pencils, I like then, but like everything, they need practice.  Watch this space, calmer more subtle scheme coming later 

Steve

• Like 4

OK, after horrifying everyone with the last weathering picture, here is where things stand at the moment.  It's tough to photograph given the lighting in the workshop, but I'm please so far.  The deck has one coat of matt varnish on it

DSCN1897

And here is the foc's'le and charthouse, you can just see the water markings on the side of the charthouse which is nice, this effect is much more subtle.  The deck behind the breakwater is darker that in front, but its super gentle

DSCN1898

And lastly, the starboard side, probably I'll add a little more to this so consider it wip

DSCN1899

The pencils are actually quite cool, still getting used to the effects, but you just use water so its all easy to clean up and change 👍

Steve 

• Like 6

There is a lot of weathering needed for a boat a yard long!

So, I'm working my way forwards with fittings and making up missing pieces.  I've also start to fix stuff as I go. 

Both these pictures are work in progress, they contain a mix of weathered and non-weathered items and still need more varnish, but I'm content with the effect so far.  I like the funnel, not an easy item to clean in the middle of a war.  These pictures make everything look huge :yikes: To my eyesight, the model looks better....

Stern view, smoke machine and Orelikon not weathered yet, but the Orelikon mount is.  3 inch unweathered.  The difference between the smoke float and  smoke machine shows the weathering effect

DSCN1901

Midships section, obviously missing the torpedo tubes.  Slight hint of rust on the casing corners, Orelikon unweathered as is the cowl vent, life ring unfinished

DSCN1900

Lots of trial and error in this process, I'll probably get it right by the time I finish and then forget it all again before the next model needs the same treatment

Steve

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Starting to look hard worked

I was war-time, not a Royal visit.  I'm sure they kept on top of the rust, but the corners and hard to get to places must have had touches, and that white paint had to have been a total nightmare to maintain :banghead:

• Like 3

Hi Steve - nice job with the weathering - I've tried the crayons and in truth haven't really found them useful - much harder to master than oils or indeed acrylics diluting with medium.  However you've cracked it and to my mind these Coastal Forces vessels got quite grubby.  Spot on for me!

Rob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

nice job with the weathering - I've tried the crayons and in truth haven't really found them useful

Thanks Rob, they take practice and maybe work better at larger scales.  So far, applying them to a wet surface works best for me, then rub off with a clean cloth for area work and then finally add detail colour (edges and rust).  Anyway, I'm a total novice at weathering so the pencils seems a safe way in.  I'm certainly sticking with it for this model

Working my way round the superstructure items with the weathering.  Takes some time, challenge is getting the effect even over so large a model, maybe too much, who knows?  Certainly she is looking lived in..

DSCN1903

Big discovery today is dark aluminium for edging/chipping the white painted metal .  The wind deflectors look really good after these touches, though hard to see in this shot.  Touches added to the window frames, create a more 3D effect by lifting the edges.

Both guns in this shot weathered now, with a little oil wash to the moving parts

DSCN1904

Really small touches of rust only, I'm sure they were able to keep most of the rust at bay.  Remember, this all still needs varnish to the final finish will differ slightly

I've not started the port side hull btw and lots of stuff is still missing in these pictures, lockers in particular, of the 37 colours in the box, I've actually used 15 so far

Steve

• Like 6

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

How much weathering will the hull recieve?

Its a good question!  As I get more confident, the weathering gets more intense.  Real ships (in wartime) were dirty and the hulls rarely got the attention they deserve.  Most models are too clean, but once you start, its tough to know where to end..

The challenges just get more complex :hmmm:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

Its a good question!  As I get more confident, the weathering gets more intense.  Real ships (in wartime) were dirty and the hulls rarely got the attention they deserve.  Most models are too clean, but once you start, its tough to know where to end..

The challenges just get more complex :hmmm:

Always the Rub!!!

Rob

• Like 1

There is a lot of weathering needed on a model that is 3 ft long!  I've been at it for a few days now, I'm pleased with the result, but photographs in that light don't really do it justice

DSCN1908

It is certainly  more 3 dimensional with the highlights (if that even makes sense!).  Progress on final assembly is also now taking place as I varnish the components.  Mast not weathered yet in these shots.

DSCN1907

Dark aluminium is my new favourite colour.  Used to highlight and chip the edges of the white painted metal to define the edges and make them stand out, you can see a little on the bow here and note the edge of the chart box and Oerlikon shield in the first picture

DSCN1906

And here in the forward 2 pdr gun shield.  But overall, all the little touches are supposed to blend into an appearance, not stand out, the challenge continues.  I think it is starting to look real but the hull is probably too clean still

I'm really starting the stanchions tomorrow btw :sleep_1:

Steve

• Like 5