3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

That checker plate effect came out very nice 👍

beefy

Yup its the business.  The one I did before for the platform between the torpedo tube and the engine room casing was too large by far, still you can't really see it..  This is the trouble with etching, you need to try some different things before you get a sense of what works in relief at this scale and the brass thickness.  the reason I always use 18 thou thick is that is the thickness I have experience with, what line widths work etc, those setting are quite critical and unforgiving.  Happy as ever to share any knowledge I have with anyone interested.

I've also just started to build up my model collection on Shapeways with a shop, see the link in my signature.  Over the weeks I intended to post stuff I draw there so others can buy them, with a nominal margin only.  Any other scales I'll be happy to accommodate, just trying to help really.  At some point, I hope this will become a website resource for 1:48th scale parts, I love that scale....

Steve

• Like 2

Couple of pictures of parts made up from the new sheet.  The deck winch took a lot of work but I think its turned out OK.  It needs the wire winding on, so it still comes part to allow the main drum to be removed

DSCN1750

Design taken from Lambert's book on the Fairmile B which has an isometric drawing but no dimensions, these dimensions fit the Admiralty GA

The revised skylight bases worked out a treat with the latches pre-installed

DSCN1751

You can also make out the two smaller hatches on the funnel casing, one of which is drawn bolted up for some reason, and the torpedo loading bracket mounting plates

So on we go...

I made a stupid mistake on the wind deflector and manged to draw it too short  on one side.  Measuring in mm and converting to drawing in inches at 1:48th scale means multiplying by 1.89.  Seems I forgot to multiply that length so its ~1/2 the length it needs to be, really annoyed at myself, stupid...  :wall:So, etching sheet three coming, sigh...

Steve 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Can't believe that you made a workable deck winch... great stuff

Stuart

Really I should have made the gears so that it would have turned, but there are limits :undecided:

It looks OK though, quite a prominent item on the deck. You will see the first of two sheave blocks that route the anchor line round the forward 2pdr, they have moving sheaves in them, none of which matters to anyone but me....

Steve

• Like 1

The big news for us personally is that last week we managed to sell the company I founded 12 years ago and so I am finally semi-retired...  Posts will not be restricted to weekends..

Been assembling some of the components on the 2nd etch sheet, in the photo they are sitting together on the fore-deck but of course they don't belong there

DSCN1754

The meat and vegetable screens were copied from the drawings in the anatomy of the ship for Agassiz, they are situated under the Vicker's turret platform.  The cup shaped frame is one of the two torpedo loading frames that sit on the bases shown earlier but are demountable.  I'm only including two, I guess they would shift them across so wouldn't ship 4.  The cable reel was super fussy to solder but came out OK, there are three more like this to make, one is enough for today, it does rotate as i have to load it up with cable once painted.  This sot also shows the rear of the deck winch and its brake wheel and riveted angles

• Like 10

Steve - Super work - and many congratulations on I am sure, a well earned retirement.

Sounds like that's a weight off.

I bought the book "Ship Models of Norman Ough" recently which is fascinating and immediately reminded me of your workB)

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Steve - Super work - and many congratulations on I am sure, a well earned retirement.

Sounds like that's a weight off.

I bought the book "Ship Models of Norman Ough" recently which is fascinating and immediately reminded me of your workB)

Rob

Thanks Rob, I have that book, the guy was simply a genius, if a little weird...:mental:

His models are to die for however

Steve

More progress on the most fiddly item of the whole build, the wind reflector, 22 pieces that all need to be in place before soldering, it doesn't work...  Breaking it down into stages makes it easier, but the vanes seem to move if you breathe, 2 hours of frustration later, the result is OK, though it will need some filling when I get around to paint

DSCN1755

DSCN1756

This is made like an egg-box and then filed back, the burnt bit of the wood platform was from soldering the new ladder, not sure it will show when painted

I've also made a start on the first Oerlikon, the ring step was on the third etching sheet that arrived today with the correctly wind deflector drawing where I messed up one dimension.  Hope to get this gun completed tomorrow

DSCN1757

You can also see two of the five crane bases in this shot, I'll be priming the deck this weekend as I've nearly completed attaching every piece that mounts directly.  I'm still waiting for the transfers, they should have been here a week or more ago, in the post as they say...

Steve

• Like 9

Finished the first Oerlikon on the Mark 4 elevating mount, actually turned out OK, but it took all day to put together.  For the second one, I'm thinking of elevating the gun, just to mix it up a bit

DSCN1760

And the back of the gun shield with the gun slightly elevated, all in brass, about 30 pieces in all

DSCN1762

Nice to make something I'm happy with first time around, doesn't happen often ...

I've also been playing with paper mache on a mould of the wire reel to see if i can make a reasonable looking canvas cover, all the picture you see, they are all covered.  Will post something tomorrow, let me know what you think

Steve

• Like 9

Another day of making lockers, the Holman projector, the last water tight scuttle and generally considering my next move.  Certainly, the second torpedo tube has to be done, I think I have everything that is a deck detail made and fitted ready to prime the deck.  The hull transfers still have not come, must be tomorrow, then I can varnish the hull before priming the deck.

So, tomorrow its back to drawings for the remaining guns.  Shapeways has suspended brass casting for the Covid virus, so the 2 pdr barrels are delayed, but the remaining RUL's and the bollards/fairleads are on their way.  

This is the overall look right now with most things resting in place.  The reel covers are shellacked to stiffen them, that is why the near one is muddy brown.  Probably these two will be uncovered, the stern ones will have the covers, but you can get the idea.  I'm considering the same method for the Oerlikon shell case bags

DSCN1765

The more I look at the Vickers turret platform, the less I like it.  Too flimsy looking and the T upright is too heavy.  I think I'll etch an alternative one made of two pieces sandwiched together with the upright preinstalled with a fold line...  The iterations continue

Steve

• Like 9

Lovely work Steve, really aspirational to someone just starting out in plastic kit maritime modelling. Your excellent results, along with the matter-of-fact, and often self-deprecating write up make me want to scratch build something, anything, though I am far from that at present. Thank you for taking the time to share this build with us, I look forward to each update.

I think I remember early on you mentioning the potential for this build to become a kit of parts which others could then build themselves. Is this still the intent?

Lewis

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

Lovely work Steve, really aspirational to someone just starting out in plastic kit maritime modelling. Your excellent results, along with the matter-of-fact, and often self-deprecating write up make me want to scratch build something, anything, though I am far from that at present. Thank you for taking the time to share this build with us, I look forward to each update.

I think I remember early on you mentioning the potential for this build to become a kit of parts which others could then build themselves. Is this still the intent?

Lewis

Lewis

I've spent well over 20 years doing this stuff in my workshop, mostly as a form of stress release from work.  Apart from entering a few shows, I've never shared anything, it was a solitary occupation.  Talking about the build process on this forum has opened the process up for me, given the hobby a new dimension and hopefully inspired some others to attempt this type of wood and metal build process.  But there is no point in dressing things up as perfect, none of my models are that.  I make a lot of mistakes and everything is a prototype, so things need to be done again when they don't work, that is the nature of the beast.  I watch Youtube videos of model makers and they never seem to make mistakes, I envy their skill at getting things right first time.

As far as the kit of parts is concerned, I've started to share some of my 3D models on-line via Shapeways and I'll be happy to produce the artwork for etching (using the bits that worked, not the ones that didn't!) to assist anyone wishing to model the SGB.  At 1:48th scale it would make an excellent radio-controlled model that would absolutely turn heads.  I've used a lot of copper on this build, but that could easily be replaced with wood or styrene.  But, to build it, you would really also need a lathe or access to one.

If anyone wants to do this, send me a PM and I'll be happy to share all I have and help in any way I can, just think of seeing more than one together...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

I think it’s your honesty that makes your build interesting and more accessible to the reader. Reading a thread where it goes perfect every time, with no slip ups or mistakes just isn’t realistic, and can make the reader feel inferior, and that they could never achieve similar results. Your evolutionary construction both helps others to learn from your mistakes and corrections, and also shows that you are a normal fallible person who has attained skills through perseverance and hard work, something we can all aim for

• Like 3

I realised I'm not posting pictures of pieces in progress much.  So, below the second torpedo tube process.  The flanges and dome end are turned on the lathe to be a push fit into the 11.8mm tube

DSCN1766

These are then parted off with a piecing saw, the stock has been drilled out to 8 mm, the largest drill I can get into my chuck.

The rings are cut from the next size tube up, using the lathe and the screw cutting bit and piecing saw.  They are 1 mm long, so this is pretty fiddly stuff, as is the filing off of the edges.  Still, at the end here are the parts ready to solder

DSCN1767

All assembly done with solder paste, which does spatter a bit, but paint will cover that.

Here is the boat with both tubes in place, the second one still needs some fittings added but its good to how it balances things up

DSCN1768

You can see the second de-mountable loading cradle also finished, this is where the drawing has them positioned, they seem a little close to me, but that's what is says

Painting getting close now

Steve

• Like 12

Well done, Sir......the best model since the scale Spitfire Vb at RAF Hendon.

interesting subject........my focus is a Fairmile C from Operation Biting.

Again, WELL DONE

• Thanks 1

Being semi-retired certainly helps progress on the build!

The transfers finally came this week and I've had fun installing them, a mixture of white and black depending on the background colour, in one place, the camouflage line runs right through a draft mark, that was fun.

I'm sort of happy, but they look a little bold to my eye, still they are staying...

I also finally finished placing marks, strips and other small stuff on the deck and so primed it in grey ready for the blue-grey (507B) final colour.

Here it is masked and sprayed, makes the deck fittings stand out better, though the rivet lines are very subtle, not helped by this picture being out of focus slightly

DSCN1770

And the stern with the masking removed, gives a better idea of how busy the deck is.  In both these shots you can see that the central deck house assembly is still removable, it will remain so for quite a while yet, helps painting 

DSCN1771

There are actually 7 draft lines on the hull, three per side and the stern.  The side marks are on the forefoot, the break in the docking keel and in the way of the propellers.  The drafts are different in each case, but the numbers on the first two line up on the hull

DSCN1772

The vessel number is really quite small, but it is correct to the pictures.  Next step is to varnish the hull to even it up, give it more protection prior to weathering and also help mask the transfer paper

Steve

• Like 13