Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

With yours and others extensive knowledge of this class, can you point me in the direction of drawings of the later gas turbine installation?

Les

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

With yours and others extensive knowledge of this class, can you point me in the direction of drawings of the later gas turbine installation?

Les

Hi Les,

I'm afraid I don't have any information on that point (I've seen a picture on-line of a model is all, I'm sure you have that). 

"Fast Attack Craft" by Phelan and Brice, 1977 has this not very good image of gas turbine driven MGB 2009 (later 5559) which looks very like the SGB hull but I think is actually a development of MTB501, (note sloping charthouse front) a Vosper class that is shorter, one of which was a blockade runner Gay Viking, which looks pretty cool.

SGB gas turbine mod

However, if you reach out to the Old Bell Foundry (Greenwich Museum records office), they may well have drawings for that conversion, it is the sort of thing they keep.  The contact I spoke to is Andrew Tullis ( [email protected] ) who was very helpful, however, with the shut-down, they may not be answering emails.

Sorry, that's all I have

If you do find anything, please post it here, I'd like to see it

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

Les

Also, check out this youtube video 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gunzo said:

Hi Steve

Remarkable build.

Les

Did a bit more digging and found this picture in a little paperback publication called RN Minor War Vessels in Focus, Lt Cdr Ben Warlow 2001, not seen this published on-line, might help with details

Grey Goose turbine 2

• Like 6

Hi Steve

Thanks for the postings- the video shows just how well that hull could perfom and  I am surprised Grey Goose has not had more attention from kit manufacturers.

I'm not sure but think the turbine design in MGB 2009 was a co development of  MetroVic's power unit for their Western Region gas turbine locomotive 18100

I'll be trying to follow up your suggestions once we are all settled back into post covid normality.

Les

As a ps, you might be interested in looking at Airscale's blog on Large Scale Planes of metal skinning a 1/18 scale Mustang

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74079-118-p51c-mustang-lopes-hope-the-3rd/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Just catching up Steve lots of likes I like working with metal too, very nice updates :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, I really appreciate the likes, doing my best with the subject, lots more to come

Steve

Short post from today's efforts on the charthouse.  Once in a while, my etching ideas work as intended and this time the window frames and shutters fall into that category.

DSCN1716

Ignore the splatter from the solder paste, these will look the business once painted.  In a couple of pictures the side shutters are raised so I thought I'd copy that practice, to show they can be positioned in the slot anywhere.  I have the glazing cut and ready but I'll only install it after some of the painting is complete through the hole in the back that I realised I needed after not providing one....

The ammunition hoist is my second attempt, this one will need a snatch block but it is far lighter than the first attempt and after more clean-up will do OK

DSCN1715

The navigation lamp boxes still need more clean-up, they are strangely short and perched on the extreme lower forward corner so they needed some timber packing to not look very odd indeed.

Still overall I rate that as progress

Steve

• Like 7

Not much to show really for 3 days work.  I did complete the replacement 20 inch searchlight, shown below next to the earlier 24 inch model ~ 30 pieces of brass in that

DSCN1717

The crutch that holds the light was filed from a piece of 4mm round bar, heated and bent.  That's a lot of filing, ~3 hours for that one piece, still I couldn't think of another way to make it  The front ring is removable at the moment as I need to glaze it

I also made the binnacle which you can seen in the distance in this picture of the first torpedo tube (well the beginning of it anyway).  I've left the top dome off the binnacle as most picture seem to show it like with with a bearing sighting guide on top

DSCN1718

What you can't really see in this picture is that I filed the inside edge of the torpedo tube casing down about 2mm so it sits more upright.  When  I drew the etchings I didn't allow for the camber of the deck and its been bothering me ever since.  I finally plucked up the courage to file it, no spares of this so it I'd wrecked it, that would be the end for a while.  Anyway, its so much better now the top is horizontal. 

The tube is made in pieces joined by the turned flanges.  The intermediate rings are 1 mm long cut from the next tube size up in the lathe with a piercing saw, very fiddly indeed.  There is at least another day on this tube, between the brackets, pressure chamber and other fittings

More overall shots below

DSCN1719

In the foreground is the first engine room skylight, annoyed at myself, didn't etch enough clips, stupid mistake, so they will need to wait for the next sheet

In the shot below you can see the first circular hatch, and the loud-hailer, both came out alright.  See how much better the casing rests on the deck, so much better

DSCN1720

• Like 12

We may be isolated, but the post still works.  Three deliveries yesterday, shapeways, some misc brass and stuff from Cornwall Model Boats and a copy of Warship for 1999-2000.  Reading Wikipedia I saw that one of the sources for the SGB entry is this copy of Warship so I had to buy it.  There is quite a long article on the SGB development, not much on the actions.  But pure gold was a sketch drawing from the National Maritime Museum of the armament as fitted to each vessel in the class inc.  SGB 4 (the one I'm modelling).  This shows she carried 2 single Oerlikon guns in Mark IV mountings.  Now, amongst all the books I have (I have a lot of books), I have drawings of Mk I, IIA, VIIA, VIIIA, IX (twin) plus the power turret option, but no Mark IV,  If anyone has details of this mount, it would be much appreciated. In the photograph it looks very similar to the VIIIA but I found this picture on line which looks like the right mount, note the large training wheel, not seen on the other single mounts, interesting

wwii-20mm-anti-aircraft-machine-gun-manual-shell_1_4299a98f0160a5f832d857f7a69119ff

I also got copies of John Lambert's detail drawings of the 2 pdr power turret and the 3 inch 20CWT Mark 1 on a Mark IVA mounting from Warship Data International, some unpublished detail but mostly the same drawings that are published in  the various armament books I had already.  Amazingly, the illustration on the 3-inch cover is actually a close-up of SGB 4 the one I'm building, a nice bonus.  I have the picture, but this close-up is clearer of the stern.  It shows the side scuttles had rigoles which I'd not realised, will add them tomorrow

The shapeways package came with the cowl vents, the Oil Tight Manholes, the flag lockers, and a number of smoke floats (the same as I drew for the Fairmile, with a slightly improved base).  I'm getting better at this, if you group them together with connecting sprue, 4 costs the same as one as there is a minimum charge per piece.

Picture below is not very clear, but shows my water trap cowl vents (which rotate) and the OTM's.  I would have struggled scratch building the latter, these will look exceptional when painted

DSCN1721

Today I've been working up completing the first torpedo tube assembly, still needs some clean-up and a couple of minor details added but it's working out OK

DSCN1723

Those brackets are a bit of a nighmare, the etching didn't make enough room for the double bend so that's been fun as there are 12 for each tube  :headbang:

View from the front

DSCN1724

Further update tomorrow on my plans to have the 2pdr guns printed in steel, cool or what?

Steve

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Steve I think what you referred to as a training is actually to raise the whole gun amount. Thus enabling fire at close to 90' elevation

HTH

Kev

Thanks, now you say that, I've seen that on a picture somewhere, much appreciated 👍

Looking good! 👍

Here's a link to a US Navy ordinance pamphlet no. 911 for the 20mm Oerlikon - https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/gun20mm/index.htm 

There's a drawing on page 2 showing a Mark 4 (IV) mount.  Similar to what Kev said, the large hand wheel is for raising & lowering the height of the gun relative to the pedestal.   Hope this helps.

John 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Looking good! 👍

Here's a link to a US Navy ordinance pamphlet no. 911 for the 20mm Oerlikon - https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/gun20mm/index.htm 

There's a drawing on page 2 showing a Mark 4 (IV) mount.  Similar to what Kev said, the large hand wheel is for raising & lowering the height of the gun relative to the pedestal.   Hope this helps.

John 

Thanks John, better picture, I can build that :wink:

Knowing the Mark 4 mount is a USN mount, meant I could find a drawing in John Campbell's Naval Weapons of WW2.  I hadn't thought to look in USN weapons section.  There are also a couple of good pictures, but no drawings, in Allied Coastal Forces vol 2

20mm Orelikon Mk4 mount

No scale (though it looks more or less 1:48th in the book), however I can scale it from the barrel length easy enough.  Research is so much of the fun in this type of scratch building 

Problem solved, thanks

• Like 3

About 8 years ago, I had a break from marine modelling and built a 3/4 scale Fokker Eindecker (Aerodrome Airplanes kit from the US).  I flew it from 5 years and sold it about 18 months ago.

This is me flying it in Wiltshire one sunny evening many years ago

Eindekker 096 (1280x857)

What is not shown in this picture is the 3/4 scale maxim machine gun I made and subsequently flew with for years

Back sight

What's this got to do with the steam gunboat?  Well, I've been drawing the Vickers 40mm 2 pdr gun for printing and I realised it is just a very large maxim machine gun, its really so similar, though the barrel is water cooled of course like the army equivalent

I decided to print the gun because I couldn't work out how to flute the water jacket without it ending up letting the side down, and at there are two of this guns, albeit in different mounts, there is some economy in the drawing and printing process.

Here is the 3d artwork so far, the gun is around 2 inch long at this scale.  I'm going to add a little more detail before finalising.  Now, checking Shapeways, I had throught to have it printed in bass ($26) but I can actually have this printed in steel for $18 each!.  Steel comes in various finishes, black and also a bronzed-silver which sounds interesting and may alleviate the need for painting.  I just have to have this in steel, watch this thread...

2pdr artwork

No big progress today, lots of little bits, the rigols (I had enough in my parts bin from Medea which i built 25 years ago, it pays to keep stuff), the last internal framing on the bridge, a shelter on the forecastle forward WTS, the funnel steam release pipe etc and some more hull filler cleanup

DSCN1725

Steve

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

About 8 years ago, I had a break from marine modelling and built a 3/4 scale Fokker Eindecker (Aerodrome Airplanes kit from the US).  I flew it from 5 years and sold it about 18 months ago.

:speak_cool:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

built a 3/4 scale Fokker Eindecker

That is blooming magic Steve, I'm completely in awe & ever so slightly envious too. :)

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

but I can actually have this printed in steel for $18 each!.  Steel comes in various finishes, black and also a bronzed-silver which sounds interesting and may alleviate the need for painting.  I just have to have this in steel, watch this thread...

Watching like a hawk, mate, printing big maxim guns, how cool is that. Being an ammo & gun type from way back this is grist to my mill. The Vickers shot the 2 pdr pom-pm round from memory?  :unsure: 

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is blooming magic Steve, I'm completely in awe & ever so slightly envious too. :)

Watching like a hawk, mate, printing big maxim guns, how cool is that. Being an ammo & gun type from way back this is grist to my mill. The Vickers shot the 2 pdr pom-pm round from memory?  :unsure: 

Steve.

Steve,

They shot one of these..

DSCN1726

When I was young, my grandmother had this round on her mantle piece (minus shell case), it used to fascinate me so when she died, I inherited it.  The round came from HMS Medea, a WW1 destroyer that my grandfather served on through the war (which I modelled 20 odd years ago).  It's stamped Vickers 2-16.  The shell case I found in an antiques fair 20 years ago, its from 1943, same tooling, they fit together perfectly.  I may place it in the case when I complete the build, it needs to find a home with context

Steve

• Like 6