Mary Rose - Starter Set

Avereda

I think I may have some time on my hands over the next few days, to avoid filling it with alcohol I’m going to blitz build instead. Airfix Mary Rose Starter Set, expect punctuation in the form of lentil soup (we all know why this is necessary so I won’t dwell) and the occasional mince pie. 3-4 hours for this first session, probably something similar for Saturday and Sunday.

49281609487_dd4aaab88f_b.jpg

• Like 5

I saw these wee kits in Lidl and thought should I try one....there was another tall ship too, they had loads of em

Good luck with this and I always fill my blitz build with alcohol anyway but a good focussed build will be good to watch.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I saw these wee kits in Lidl and thought should I try one....there was another tall ship too, they had loads of em

Good luck with this and I always fill my blitz build with alcohol anyway but a good focussed build will be good to watch.

Thanks, I may revise this dry build technique come tomorrow 

3 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

A floaty thing in a day!!

That is a challenge. Good luck 

Cheers, not that many parts it has to be said.

A bit of a mince pie and brandy cream pit stop

49282928491_463481344a_b.jpg

Close of play was called at the 4 hour mark, man did that fly by. All parts off the sprues, masts built, main hull together and in the stand. No idea how this will pan out tomorrow.

49283134612_44ce05b4f3_b.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Johnson said:

Nice to see. All I know is the museum shots of timber that's been underwater for a long time.

I’ve been to see the exhibition a few times - I did a fair bit of work at Portsmouth Harbour at one time. In other news I’ve crocked my back quite badly so I may have to abandon ship.

• Sad 2

Game over for me I’m afraid. My back’s gone good and proper. I’m immobilised in my armchair and to make it worse Mrs Avereda is watching Sunshine on Leith fir the thousandth time.

• Sad 1

That's a great shame, was looking forward to seeing the Mary Rose set sail (and not sink...)

Hope your back feels better soon, as a fellow sufferer I sympathise and quite understand!

All the best,

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That's a great shame, was looking forward to seeing the Mary Rose set sail (and not sink...)

Hope your back feels better soon, as a fellow sufferer I sympathise and quite understand!

All the best,

Thanks for the good wishes, I’ve had the odd muscular problem before but this is a bit more debilitating.

• 8 months later...

Time to refloat this one, if a mod can shift it somewhere more appropriate then I’d be very grateful. I fancied a bit of brush painting to help get a couple of stalled builds from previous GBs, so it’s out with the paintbrush and in with the primer.

50393817051_a1b8b6c7db_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If only to prove that I do still, sometimes, do this stuff. A bit of an update, I’ve been fiddling around with some woody browns and a bit of excessive highlighting on the protruding beams. The highlighting needs knocking back a bit and tidying up but at least it’s progress.

51009444111_34dc4a3df7_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still going. Managed to get some transfers on a couple of days ago, they seemed to have conformed ok and have definitely added a bit of life to the project.

51271288300_f09a921de2_b.jpg

• Like 8

Looking much more colourful now, I have this one in the stash too, so I shall mash that follow button.

Hope the backs' better these days, I've found gardening is just the right level of exercise to help strengthen those core muscles whilst not being able to overdo it, plus mint julep pitstops during such 'work' doesnt go amiss either.

David

9 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Looking much more colourful now, I have this one in the stash too, so I shall mash that follow button.

Hope the backs' better these days, I've found gardening is just the right level of exercise to help strengthen those core muscles whilst not being able to overdo it, plus mint julep pitstops during such 'work' doesnt go amiss either.

David

Certainly more cheerful now and my back’s a lot better these days thanks. Malt whisky is the poison of choice here and I’ve just been introduced to the wonders of tablet popcorn.

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Avereda, I've just discovered this. Sorry to hear of your back problems, but glad you're able to reopen the shipyard here. She's a good-looking model. Regards, Jeff.

Good evening Jeff, she’ll be a lot better looking when I remove the gluey fingerprint from the port side. Perth eh, Mrs Avereda is from Perth, Scotland and has always wanted to visit.

• Like 1