Hasegawa FromA Porsche 962C

All done.

Pros:

Nice shape, fits together with no problems at all. Good moulding, little cleanup required. Despite being quite old the decals all still transferred without problems. Realistic rubber tyres, nicely detailed wheels.

Cons:

Ultra-curbside. No engine, no gearbox (despite that bits of both should be visible through the rear end), no steerable wheels, not a lot of interior details.

Verdict:

Not bad. There's nothing wrong with it, I just wish there was more of it. I understand the Tamiya 962C is a pain with it's one-piece body and glass moulded together, but in other areas it's better, especially under the bodywork.

Build notes:

Completed in about 5 weeks. Body colour is Tamiya TS-47 chrome yellow. Extra details include a lot in the interior such as removal of passenger seat, added hoses, wires etc. PE radiators, scratch built rough engine, a side-hole opened up for another intake (what I'm not sure - not fuel) and brake discs with calipers. I've intentionally omitted 3 things from the suggested build - the front wheel covers (hate them), the headlight mask decals (not the same yellow and the car looks better without them), and finally the plain white decal sun visor - it looked boring and without it, I can see more of my interior detailing. I see so many variants of the FromA Racing 962C with and without various items, I figure - this is my variant. Colours remind me of a JCB.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
Added in description above images, reviewing the kit.
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

Looks sharp! Do these Hasegawa kits have engine detail? 

Sadly not. Not even a bit of engine and gearbox to show through the rear end of the car - mine's scratch built. They don't have steering wheels either. In short, they're as curbside as curbside gets.

I've now added my usual commentary/kit review above the original images, your question reminded me i'd forgotten to.

Edited by galaxyg

On 12/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, spruecutter said:

Yellow is always a challenge.

Agreed!  I used Tamiya TS-16 on my Renault RE-20.  Required several coats as well as sanding an polishing prior to clear.  Almost as difficult as gloss black.

Galaxyg - Very nice work!  I love the 962.  No engine, no problem.  Just don't take the cowlings off.  I am interested in seeing the scratch built engine.  I've been eyeing the MFH instantiation.  If I choose that build I hope it turns out as nice yours.  Well done!

On 12/31/2019 at 8:07 PM, JCH said:

Agreed!  I used Tamiya TS-16 on my Renault RE-20.  Required several coats as well as sanding an polishing prior to clear.  Almost as difficult as gloss black.

Galaxyg - Very nice work!  I love the 962.  No engine, no problem.  Just don't take the cowlings off.  I am interested in seeing the scratch built engine.  I've been eyeing the MFH instantiation.  If I choose that build I hope it turns out as nice yours.  Well done!

Thanks. Here is the "engine" (a Lego brick) and associated stuff. (plasticard and BMF and marker pen) Just enough detail to be seen to be something in the dark under the cowl from the back. Not enough for daylight scrutiny. 😀

spacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 1

Lovely job. IMSA car?

Really like the finish (big fan of yellow tbh!) and you got that one down nicely.

Annoying isn't it when manufacturers skimp on such simple things as a basic rear drive - good recovery with the Lego brick!

ATB
Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Great model, looks spot on! 👏

On 31/12/2019 at 14:15, galaxyg said:

Not even a bit of engine and gearbox to show through the rear end of the car - mine's scratch built. They don't have steering wheels either. In short, they're as curbside as curbside gets.

That's poor, but IMHO Tamiya 962's are even worse, with their glued-in windscreens and headlight glasses. Those bodies formerly were made for RC cars of their Tamtech brand and then later "converted" to poor kits. Horrible!