Hurricane mk IIc LKoA

Katurbo

Hi,

I am building the newest Hurricane mk IIc from Arma Hobby and I need some help with LKoA paint scheme (blog). Arma Hobby chose black/OG/DG:

spacer.png

However, my interpretation of LKoA is quite different. I am a little unsure about lighter tone on DG (rudder, rear fuselage, elevator, ends of the wings). In my opinion, it's not definetly "brush strokes" effect, because in this case we should see them at the front of the fuselage and on the other aircraft. Of course, OG put on DG is only my proposal, but maybe someone saw something similar on other RAF planes and know answer. I'm open to discussion, feel free to share your view. :)

TUpxWQ3.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Katurbo
change one photo
  • Like 2

was discussed here,

the planes were overall Night,

6247425410_3552da44d9_o.jpgHurricane Mk.V.......................          11 Aug. 1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

this close up shows the Night wearing off the original Dark Green of the canopy, as the canopy flexes when opened/closed.

30858203435_ea525fce16_o.jpgHurricane pilot, c1942. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

and then had the intruder camouflage added at unit level.

On 29/11/2019 at 11:42, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Here is scan from Polish Fighter Colours link. We use that book as primary source of well researched Polish markings.

polish-fighters-colours.jpg

Hi Wojtek

the 87 Sq planes were overall night, and the painted into the Night Intruder scheme,  

please note that the Ducimus guide states that the uppers were Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey ,  which was the intruder scheme, see last paragraph and images from the that below, 

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

and  below we have a larger shot of LK-R, as well as LK-A and LK-?

Hurricane-IIa-RAF-87Sqn-LKA-Ian-Gleed-BE

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Nigh

The light nature of the paler upper surface colour is clear, as it the crude, brushed on nature of the finish, even cutting into the yellow ring on the roundel

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

the demarcation of the camouflages line at the rear is also of note

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

the wing demarcation is of note, as is the chipped back to brass on the leading edge sheathing on the prop blades.

HTH

T

• Like 2

Hi

I always liked these in flight formation photos

almost every hurricane is painted a slightly different way with the demarcation lines,

to me it shows what really went on when aircraft left the factory & MU ,

and then went into squadron use, and it was up to the painters at squadron level to interpret the camo painting instructions 

cheers

Jerry

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

to me it shows what really went on when aircraft left the factory & MU ,

and then went into squadron use, and it was up to the painters at squadron level to interpret the camo painting instructions 

Except, in the case of the RAF,  unit level major repaints were fairly rare,  this is unusual in that the uppers were Night, and then had the disruptive pattern added.

Even so, there is not that much variation in the pattern.

1 Squadron were also a night intruder unit, and they got repainted to full DFS, but some of the paint wore really badly...

5 hours ago, Katurbo said:

The last question is: what's happen in the tail section on the DG. 😀

don't know. Incomplete paint job?  Poor adhesion?  

Ah, OK, from the link above, this maybe the answer

18606020334_51c959033f_b.jpg&key=738dc6e

photo shoot of No.1 squadron, when their planes had been repainted into Day Fighter Scheme from night intruder black, and were weathering badly.... that's a coat of Medium Sea Grey weathering off to show the black....

14191980055_2108d992da_b.jpg&key=7d175c8

note the patchy appearance of the tailplane/rudder as well

this is the same plane, JX-Y

Hawker-Hurricane-IIc-RAF-1-Squadron-JXY-

Hawker-Hurricane-II-RAF-1-Squadron-in-fo

note the patchy/tatty appearance,  possibly the same as full scale 'black basing' effect...or just a quick paint job on an airframe not cleaned very first?

HTH

• Like 2

It seems highly possible. It's very hard to see that as being anything other than a rush job under less than ideal circs. And from the huge sheets of paint falling off I absolutely buy Troy's suggestion of inadequate surface prep. Looks like no more than a quick wipe off with a mucky rag before the repaint, leaving loads of ingrained oil and other contaminants. They may not have been rubbed back for re-keying at all.

• 3 years later...
On 12/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, Troy Smith said:

Hurricane-IIa-RAF-87Sqn-LKA-Ian-Gleed-BE

Good evening,

could one think that the front part of the fuselage would not be painted? that is to say black?

the difference in sharpness compared to the rear is really obvious! and if we compare it with the plane coded JX-Y, I really wonder...

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback

On 13/09/2023 at 21:11, jea-baptiste said:

Good evening,

could one think that the front part of the fuselage would not be painted? that is to say black?

the difference in sharpness compared to the rear is really obvious! and if we compare it with the plane coded JX-Y, I really wonder...

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback

No. that would be a a totally non standard scheme. 

LK-A just has been repainted badly,  see pics below. 

"this quote from Pilot Officer Frank Mitchell of 87 squadron before Dieppe. 'August 18 - spent the day, apart from briefing, in converting the black night fighters to daytime camouflage. Paint everywhere - very rushed job'

see 

note this image, they have been quicky repainted, in a no standard pattern,  the rear fuselage of LK-A is very badly done.  You can see Night at rear underside, and flaking off Medium sea grey, again showing night. 

mev-11951375.jpg

a couple more from the same session

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/hurricane_87sqn.jpg

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/hurricaneIIC_87sqn.jpg

HTH

• Like 1