Dad's Army build (Pvt Godfrey) - Tamiya 1/48 Flying Bomb - Finished!!!

Johnson

I know, it's a real cop-out - only one sprue. And not the jolliest Christmas Build... :unsure: but maybe something for my Eduard Tempest to chase across the ceiling, when it gets built! ^_^

It has no wheels, no people, few parts @depressed lemur! (I am impressed by the way ;)). No canopy, no cockpit, no undercarriage and has wings! And apparently not the most accurate kit either...

A Private Godrey build cos I may keep having to rush off.

Dscf1716

You probably can't see the time, but I started it at 10.38 this morning. Then the laptop went up s**t creek, only just got it talking to me again. I'll find a bigger, better clock.

Cheers,

• Like 5

OK, a start.

Dscf1721

The clock came from a crashed British plane in WW2, 'recovered' by my Grandfather, a WW1 pilot who's job (having been an estate agent between the wars) was to assess damage to property, crops etc, caused by crashed aircraft. The clock didn't go but I'd had my eye on it since I was a kid. When my Grandma eventually passed away, I took it to a mate who repaired clocks and he got it going. When the plane crashed, the face and hands had got squashed onto the works inside and stopped it, he just gently pulled them back and it went again! It does still have some damage; the second hand doesn't go - but it does work - I'm not just adjusting the hands!

Signing off for a while, apparently a healthy walk is in store!

Oh yes,

How was Mary after Jesus was born?       ........................................................................   :sorry:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

You probably can't see the time, but I started it at 10.38 this morning. Then the laptop went up s**t creek, only just got it talking to me again. I'll find a bigger, better clock.

I had the same problem in the August Blitzbuild & had to go out to buy a new laptop :doh:

• Sad 1

That desk of yours makes everything look nice and warm and vintage. The clock is a bit of a gem as well, especially with the back story.

I made one of those V1's ages ago. Would you believe it defeated me! I was never happy with the colours I chose for it. I ended up painting it satin black as a sort of ID model.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together, I won't have long to wait either. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

How was Mary after Jesus was born?       ........................................................................   :sorry:

In a stable condition (I'm still sorry!)

This afternoon's work;

Dscf1722combo

The flying bomb is assembled, not many parts, I wasn't going to bother with filler, but there were gaps along the wings and the fuselage seams were obliviously going to give me grief when I get on with the paint tomorrow. The dolly got a coat of Alclad aluminium with Tamiya XF65 field grey brushed on top, the idea being that I can chip some of the grey off to give a weathered appearance. I hope. I generally don't like Tamiya acrylics, they dry too fast, useless in an airbrush. But for this, it is OK.

2 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

not the easiest of paint finishes in such a short time

I have a fairly basic scheme in mind, nothing complicated. V1s seemed to have been painted in all sorts of finishes, but generally RLM76 underneath and mottled dark green on top, either 71 or 83, not sure which, but I would have thought by 1944 it might be 83.

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

That desk of yours makes everything look nice and warm and vintage

Mrs J is very relaxed about my hobby and doesn't mind me using the desk. Now the kids have flown, I have a room with a bench, but I find it too quiet and isolated so tend to do the kits in the living room. Trouble was, I had to tidy it for Christmas and when I started this morning, I couldn't find a thing.

1 hour ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

I can see this being a nice base model for some Warhammer 40k Ork kitbashing

Sorry Werewolf, this rather went past me! Not sure how or where a flying bomb fits with Warhammer.

Time taken today, a.m. 10.38 - 12.14.   p.m. 15.05 - 17.06, a total of 3h 37m. If I understand the rules correctly, being a bit of a wuss (Dad's Army option), I just have to complete by Sunday having taken less than 24 hours.

OK, time for tea. Mince pies and of cake (cake on short rations - I have a turkey mountain to eat later! )

Cheers,

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

Sorry Werewolf, this rather went past me! Not sure how or where a flying bomb fits with Warhammer.

Ork players are known for kitbashing and scratch building crazy stuff from other stuff. I'm currently collecting bits to convert a kids toy dump truck into an Ork Trukk. Missiles, guns, rockets etc are always good. More Dakka. 

• Thanks 1

11.00am - bit of a late start...

Dscf1727

Need to smooth the seams and then airbrush with RLM 76 Lichtblau Xtracolor gloss.

I'm not happy with the colour of the trolly which I painted field grey. The kit instructions look like a medium grey colour, which might be right, or just a Tamiya guess. I know from my AFV models that the Germans painted almost everything with red oxide primer and as there was a shortage of paint late in WW2, left a lot of equipment just in the primer. So off to the garage and out with the Halfords rattle can.

Dscf1728

The new Humbrol filler is excellent, very smooth, dries quickly and is easy to sand. The RLM 76 paint went on OK and I like the trolly more in red oxide, but it will need a bit of weathering and distressing.

Finished this session at 12.36, another 1h 36m so far today. Time for a coffee and wait for the paint to dry. RLM 71 Dunklegrun next, or it might be 83?

Thanks for looking, back later.

• Like 1

I should have got up earlier this morning. Gloss enamel doesn't like to be hurried. Finally dry enough by 7pm to do some masking. Yes, I forgot to take a photo and started the masking, but a little bit and by only by a few minutes. :huh:

Dscf1733

I like the idea of V1 parts being made and painted separately then assembled, so that's what I'm going to try to depict. This approach isn't best suited to a blitzbuild, but I have it easy in my kit and Dad's Army build option.

But got to go, time for a beer (Bass) and eats. Back later. Could be a late night.

Cheers,

The paint scheme is loosely based on Bruce Salmon's Bronco V1 that he reviewed/modelled for Hyperscale. Half way though the Dunklegruns, I think it's working. More paint tomorrow. I'll try to get up early!

DSCF1738

Cheers,

Up early, well for a Sunday. Clock reads 08.07, its gained a couple of minutes since I started it, but I haven't had to wind it yet. Supposed to be an 8 day clock? I've never tried winding it up that much.

Dscf1739

Lots of masking then spraying with RLM 71 Dunklegrun. I darkened the 71 and the RLM 76 Lichtgrau of the warhead to make it look as if it had been brought in then assembled. The tail pipe was also supposed to look different from the fuselage, but it didn't really work. Oh well, better leave it as it's all got to dry, add decals and then matt coat.

Finish this morning was at 09.49, 1h 42m. Time for breakfast.

• Like 1

I'm calling this done;

Dscf1743

Another 2h 05m, which makes the total build time 10h 30m, which might, possibly is, wrong. If anyone would like to check the times, do let me know. I'll check them again later.

A fun build (GB Rule #6).

Pics in the gallery shortly.

• Like 3

• Johnson changed the title to Dad's Army build (Pvt Godfrey) - Tamiya 1/48 Flying Bomb - Finished!!!