Aldi special - Airfix P40 desert scheme

Tim R-T-C

Hi all,

So since I have the day off today while my wife is at work, I thought I would give this 24 hour build a try.

Picked up the Aldi special P40 so I could practice freehand brush camouflage, so lets see how that works out!

Aim for today is to get the assembly and paint complete.

Since my PC is OOU, all images are shot on my phone in Instagram as it makes a much smaller file size, but does mean they are all portrait orientation.

The official start pic with Instagram clock!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Progress post.

After a morning bath for the styrene, I decided to paint the interiors and some detail on the sprue. The kit instructions suggest desert sand for the interiors but I went with interior green, Humbrol 226. Also done the seat in silver and prop in black.

Now to let things dry and then start cutting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

With interiors dry and a mince pie found, time to finish the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made slightly complex by the misprinted instructions which have no number references, but all together quite easily, except that I snapped the control column!

Wing roots are a bit gappy, so might pop on a little filler, otherwise main construction finished and going to get some lunch and let it harden before the first paint coats.

spacer.png

• Like 3

And stop for the night.

spacer.png

12 hours done, paint on fuselage, canopy, prop and gear struts. All brush, freehand with no masking.

Just needs a few little touch ups, decals and varnish.

I am now working tomorrow so will invoke the Dad's Army clause to complete the second 12 hour shift on Sunday.

See you then!

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 7

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decalled, no issues really - the shark mouth does not really meet up perfectly at the bottom but not visible and I will try and touch up before end of play.

Just going to let them set, have dinner, then it is final assembly time.

• Like 4

And so at 20:50 I callednit complete. About 21 1/2 hours modelling time in all.

Not completely happy with the canopy lining, a little bitty but for a quick build, it has come out quite well IMHO.

I got some Flory washes at Telford which I might test out on this later, but happy to call this finished for now.

Thanks for following

spacer.png

• Like 4

Despite the fact that my unmade aircraft stash has just reached :blink:... er... 100! (should I take a bow? beat a hasty retreat? tell Mrs J? :unsure:)

I think I need to get one! :D!

Great build Tim. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harley John said:

Really nice build. I bought the same kit, did you use the paint that came with the kit? 

Thanks, yes the main three colours are just the starter pots. I added red for the prop hub and interior green for cockpit and wheel wells.

• Like 1