F-111F

delticfan

You don't say which scale but...

...in 1/72nd the Hasegawa kit is gorgeous, Hasegawa at its best IMO...

...in 1/48th there's variations on the Academy kit, I think its the only game in town and I have no knowledge of how good it is.

HTH

Edited by Wez

17 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Ah I meant to use a hobby boss 1/48 hopefully there are some resin parts available, engines, intakes etc, thanks for the advice.

I'd never have guessed that from your original question in a month of Sundays.

I thought that Hobby Boss had done a 1/48th F-111 but it didn't show up on my Scalemates search, I'm guessing because I was looking specifically at the F-111F (I'm guessing the HB kit is a different version). 

If you look at this Scalemates search it throws up some extra bits, I don't know enough about the F-111 to know if they're of any use to you.

ResKit do splendid nozzles... for either kit 

Probably the best oit there... :)

the Academy kit is better shape-wise, the Hobbyboss detail-wise...search BM for details ;)

Edited by exdraken

20 minutes ago, rossm said:

There is one problem with the 1/72 Hasegawa kit - you can't get it ☹️

Indeed! I was lucky enough to be abvle to snatch up a pair for less than €20 each a few years back. 

Cheers,

Andre

16 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Apart from the Canopy - for which there is the Squadron Vac-Form - I struggle to see the problems with the HobbyBoss kit.

If you replace the exhaust and do not look too close you will be fine then!

If you want more, search for e.g @trickyrichs build of a C midel in the last -111GB.... ;)

In 1/72 it is worth considering the ESCI/Italeri/AMT (same kit) F-111F.

If I recall, the F version boxing does contain parts for the correct intakes. Ok, so not as detailed as the Hasegawa kit, but accurate outline, nice engraved panel lines and easier and cheaper to get hold of. 

37 minutes ago, exdraken said:

If you replace the exhaust and do not look too close you will be fine then!

If you want more, search for e.g @trickyrichs build of a C midel in the last -111GB.... ;)

Thanks - Let me have a look. If the basic shape is there then that ticks most of my boxes.

I have spent most of the year bashing the Mono F-100 into shape which is more accurate. Even after that, with the exception of the intake and UC length, it is hard to tell from the Trumpy one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calum said:

The Hasegawa F-111 was re-released in the last couple of months

As far as I can see it's just the EF-111 and the F-111G variants and they're near enough £50 in the UK, just over £20 in Japan. I think I'll have to stick with my Italeri one.

I do understand that Hasegawa has reissued their F-111G kit. With the reissue, most don't do any upgrades to their kit. So I'm guessing this being the same kit from the 90's. It's lacking the ALE-40 chaff and flare assembly in the speed bumps and a poor representation of the PavTac pod. It's the long wing and if you don't have a set of short wings would not do you much good to make a D. E or F. The Academy and Hobby Boss A, E, F, D/E and A kits come with both intakes. The Academy kit needs lots of work as does the Hobby Boss. The Hobby Boss has a number of instruction errors. Such as placing parts where they do not belong. And or having extra parts (bay door) where they are not correct. Been down that road with both kits and have made due because I worked on the F-111 aircraft 17 years in the USAF. As with any project do take the time to research and use your findings to build your project.

My 2 cents

Best Regards,

Ron VanDerwarker

Considering the -G is the rebranded SAC FB-111A, and I seem to remember the aussie F-111s also had longer wings, that may also be an option.
As far as incorrect instructions go, sometimes it helps to compare instruction sheets (scalemates f.i.) from various mfgs to determine the best approach.

Edited by alt-92

On 12/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, Smudge said:

In 1/72 it is worth considering the ESCI/Italeri/AMT (same kit) F-111F.

If I recall, the F version boxing does contain parts for the correct intakes. Ok, so not as detailed as the Hasegawa kit, but accurate outline, nice engraved panel lines and easier and cheaper to get hold of. 

Hasegawa F-111A & C all have TP1 intakes parts are marked as D

Hasegawa FB-111A/D/E/F all have TP2 intakes parts are marked as C. The sole exception coming with both types of intakes and lower fuselage parts  is kit #00952 C/G R.A.A.F also Hasegawa on the F-111G Air Combat Command box #K-124 you will find decals for an F-111F instead of a G

What you will find inside AMT F-111F box is the basic Esci F-111A, with EF-111A parts as extra and the TP2 cones, everything else exhausts included are for a very basic F-111A, they didn't include a different lower fuselage for the TP2 inlets so everything else it's up to the modeller

https://imgur.com/a/op97J6n

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite

On 12/29/2019 at 4:01 AM, Calum said:

The Hasegawa F-111 was re-released in the last couple of months

Did they release it in any form except RAAF versions?  That seems to be all I can find but I want to build one in USAF markings.  Can I do that with just aftermarket decals or are their significant differences between the AUS and US models? 

1 hour ago, mdauben said:

Did they release it in any form except RAAF versions?  That seems to be all I can find but I want to build one in USAF markings.  Can I do that with just aftermarket decals or are their significant differences between the AUS and US models? 

If the box includes parts for the F-111G, then you can build a SAC FB-111A from this, as the G was just an FB reconfigured for use by tactical units. A number were sold to Australia when they were retired by the USAF

• Like 1