RAAF Hawk 127 question....

Devo

G'day All,

I'm building the 1/48 Aifix Hawk 100 kit as a RAAF Hawk 127, 76 Squadron at Willytown. I'm going to load it up with the centreline gun, 2 x fuel tanks and 2 x Mk-82 bombs....if it can carry sidewinders loaded up thus....I'll whack those on as well.

So......I have a question for those that know loadouts for the RAAF Hawk 127. 

Could the aircraft be configured with stuff hanging off  all the stations and still get airborne??? (e.g. 2 x wingtip sidewinders, 2 x inboard fuel tanks, 1 x centreline 30mm gun pack and 2 x outboard Mk-82 type bombs.)

I have seen pictures of RAAF Hawks loaded with 1 x centreline 30mm gun pod, 2 x fuel tanks inboard pylons and 2 x Mk-82 type bombs outboard pylons, no sidewinders...........also another one loaded no gun pack, 2 x wingtip sidewinders, 2 x fuel tanks inboard pylons and 2 x Mk-82 type bombs outboard pylons...….but haven't seen one with the lot hanging off it.

VMT,

Devo

Edited by Devo

If it can help, I've personally seen a Hawk Mk.127 with a yet different load: missiles, gun pod and bombs but no tanks... but it was on static display at an airshow, so the load was just for show. I'm pretty sure that adding a couple of empty tanks would have not created any problem. I attach a picture of this aircraft here below, showing the nicely decorated Sidewinder

I have also seen pictures of unmarked Hawk Mk.120 series aricraft carrying the load you mention, so it would not be a problem to carry it in theory...

The question is if you want a theoretical load or one that is realistic for the mission the unit is tasked with. 76 Sqn. Hawks perform advanced training missions and generally a mission would involve either air combat or ground attack, meaning that there would be no use for both missiles and bombs on the same aircraft. Real or even practice Mk.82 bombs would also be quite rarely used, with the good old CBLS used instead.

If you want a load you like, then yes, the full load you mention is in theory possible. And of course it's possible if you depict an aircraft part of a static display, where air forces are known to attach every kind of unrealistic loads for show. If you want a realistic load, better go for something lighter.

resized_cd94bdf2-d47c-4bc1-b432-cac2fd4a

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I attach a picture of this aircraft here below, showing the nicely decorated Sidewinder

Suicidal marking for most decal manufacturing especially in 72nd scale! 😁

Why do I think so?  Most can not accurately print a larger art, but here it is so small with many colour...very hard target for most decal manufacturing!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:19 PM, Giorgio N said:

If it can help, I've personally seen a Hawk Mk.127 with a yet different load: missiles, gun pod and bombs but no tanks... but it was on static display at an airshow, so the load was just for show. I'm pretty sure that adding a couple of empty tanks would have not created any problem. I attach a picture of this aircraft here below, showing the nicely decorated Sidewinder

I have also seen pictures of unmarked Hawk Mk.120 series aricraft carrying the load you mention, so it would not be a problem to carry it in theory...

The question is if you want a theoretical load or one that is realistic for the mission the unit is tasked with. 76 Sqn. Hawks perform advanced training missions and generally a mission would involve either air combat or ground attack, meaning that there would be no use for both missiles and bombs on the same aircraft. Real or even practice Mk.82 bombs would also be quite rarely used, with the good old CBLS used instead.

If you want a load you like, then yes, the full load you mention is in theory possible. And of course it's possible if you depict an aircraft part of a static display, where air forces are known to attach every kind of unrealistic loads for show. If you want a realistic load, better go for something lighter.

Thanks Giorgio, I think I will load it out for an A\G sortie. I do have a picture of a Hawk 127 airborne with this load... 30mm gun pack, 2 x Mk-82's( blue dummies though) and 2x fuel tanks. I also have a picture of two Hawk 127's loaded with 2 x fuel tanks, 2 x live Mk-82 and CATM Sidewinders on the wingtips.