Mosquito NF XII nose jobs

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

One of my back-burner projects is converting Tamiya's 1/48 scale Mosquito FB XI kits into a NF XII.  I have had the nose cap piece for the thimble nose in solid resin to replace the gun nose cap for quite some time.  I recently ordered the Freightdog replacement thimble nose but it is huge compared to the nose cap.  I have found pictures of this large thimble nose but also pics showing the smaller nose cap I started with.  The Freightdog nose is somewhere between the small thimble I have and the universal Bull Nose.  What gives?  Are there in fact three possible noses rather than two?  Please note that I am doing the kit as a NF XII which carried the Mk VIII radar.

Color me confused, Jim

The mk XII and early XIIIs were fitted with the thimble radome much larger than the small Ash radome fitted to a few mk FB VIs. The XVII and XIX had the large Bull Nose as seen on the TAMIYA Mosquito night fighter kit,now very rare, and the Airfix NF XXX

I used the Blackbird nose for my MkXIII.  My understanding is that the Universal nose was introduced around and about HK500 (I have a discussion thread See below).  

49006648393_1d5c11ce39.jpg

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

Hi all,

To be clear, I know that the first batch of NF XII's had AI MK VIII radar sets inside the thimble nose.  This also applies to first group of NF XIII's.  I believe the rest of the NF XIII's were equipped with the 'bull' nose, the universal nose which could take either British or American radar.  I also know that the Ash radar on other Mossie types used a smaller cylinder with a round nose, but that belongs to another story.  My point of confusion is with two distinct sizes of the thimble nose on the XII's and early XIII's.  I can see both shapes in period photographs.

Here is a example of the smaller thimble nose; this is Roy Sutherlands' 1/72 NF XIII (and a lovely model it is):

Roy's Mosquito NF XIII 1

And here is the larger thimble nose in work by another modeller:

NF XII Freightdog nose

Are they both correct?  I hope this helps to clarify why I am confused.

Thanks, Jim

• Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 16:06, Jim Kiker said:

Are they both correct?  I hope this helps to clarify why I am confused.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

@Jim Kiker

To be honest, the nose on Roy's Mosquito looks a little too sharp. I've looked through some photo references (e.g. Thirsk's Illustrated History) and can't see a thimble nose that looks like that. In addition, the image below, purported to be of HK382 (Roy's model), seems to show the blunter style of radome.

You said you can see both types in period photos. Could you perhaps post a link that shows the smaller style?

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C272993

3894936.JPG

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

Finally the dawn breaks...  I thought I had several pictures of the "smaller" thimble nose, such as this one:

Mosquito NF thimble nose

However, on close review I think this is the same nose as Freightdog gives it.  Digging further, Richard Frank's book on the Mosquito has a nose profile that is pointy-ish, but when I looked at that the note indicates that the nose profile is for the NF XV.  That led to a search on the NF XV and turned this up:

Paragon NF XV conversion set

Notice how pointed that nose is?  I think the little resin nose I picked up somewhere matches that.  At least now I know what goes onto my NF XII,  so I'll just toddle off and have a piece Crow pie.

Thank you very much for posting and successfully nudging me onto the right path!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
Fixed attribution.