AZ Models Supermarine Attacker***FINISHED***

PeterB

Trumpeter Sea Hawk looks a good option. Fits with my Hawker fighter builds and a good one with the obligatory Hunter. Stack of aftermarket if I want to go nuts. Sorry not Supermarine. In the mean time I'll enjoy watching Pete build his complete air force.

• Haha 1

(Pete, it's just for fun!)

We know the story

camouflage Attacker very poorly !!! 😉😁

Look at Attacker on this photo:

image;s=1000x563

!!!

😉😁😁

(Photo from internet auction.)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, AZ have made a real mess of the instructions for the undercarriage, and it is a good job I have both a walk round and another source of pics available. The parts themselves are fine, but the instructions say that the main gear legs and the 2 door parts are identical when in fact they are correctly handed. There is a lug on each leg which should be at the back and the support strut is glued on to it. All 6 of the doors are (correctly) different shapes so you have to make sure you choose the right ones, and they are totally wrong in showing the narrow outer door/wheel leg cover butt joining to the outer half of the wheel cover, unless you are building wheels up.

wheels

As shown in the above pic, the leg cover slides over the wheel cover as the u/c is lowered so that they overlap. Incidentally, as with the Swift I am building, the doors will need trimming a little if you are modelling a retracted u/c.

DSC02348-crop

So this is what it should look like with the wheels down. I will fit the inner doors and tail wheels later. The arrester hook well is far too narrow and shallow - I don't know if that is down to bad measurement or the possible moulding problem I mentioned earlier. I will try and fettle it but the hook is still going to hang down too much.

Definitely not a kit for the beginner!

Don't know how many modellers were involved Serge as some look quite reasonable, but the Attacker and Wildcat seem to be imaginary schemes.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

And that Sabre (or is it a Fury) on the left was so impressed by the Attacker it said "Me too. I want to be a tail sitter."  

• Haha 2

Not sure if the USN jet on the far right is an EA6A, given the Playboy Bunny logo but is seems to have yellow leading edges - unless it is masking tape. Quite a strange collection, some crying out for a good refurb!

Pete

23 hours ago, PeterB said:

Quite a strange collection, some crying out for a good refurb!

B.w. MiG-15 original Soviet die-cast model with movable details & poor imitate jet engine inside.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Thanks Serge.

I have started putting decals on both the Attacker and Swift - it will probably take a couple more days to get them all on. Pics as and when.

Pete

• Like 1

I have put some decs on, but will delay putting on those close to the canopy as I find Humbrol Clearfix has an unfortunate habit of stripping acrylic paint and decals. I have fitted the gunsight which is on the sprue and shown in place in the drawings but not mentioned in the instructions.

DSC02364-crop

I will now fit the canopy and once it is dry continue with the decs. The old Modeldecal sheet I am using works fine, and this one has individual "islands" of decal film instead of the usual continuous sheet - perhaps Hannants modified it when they took over Modeldecal and reprinted it? It is showing its age though as the small stencils etc are blurry and unlike new decs, cannot be read. Still it serves its purpose. For anyone buying it for an Attacker, there are only 12 stencil decals labelled "B" whilst the instruction sheet shows up to 8 more, but I may be able to use some from the kit.

Pete

• Like 3

Bit more progress.

DSC02380-crop

As you will see the canopy is on - the F1 had a nice clear bubble canopy but the FB 2 one had a metal rear and heavy framing - no idea why but it must have reduced rear visibility. Perhaps they decided that they needed a stronger canopy for low level bombing/strafing runs. I have put on some more stencils, and should finish in one, perhaps two days. After that it is a case of fitting the various wheel doors, tail wheel, hook, cannon and aerials

Pete

• Like 2

It has perhaps taken a bit longer than I expected, no doubt because I was working on multiple kits at the same time, but the end is in sight. Finished putting all the decs on earlier and have just fitted all the remaining parts including the DIY pitot tube and various aerials which were not supplied.

DSC02390-crop

Some touching up to do and then it can join the Swift in the queue for a quick spray of satin varnish. The location of the cannon barrels is a bit vague so I might have left them a bit long but I am not going to change it now, Other than the serious but recoverable moulding problem at the back end that I mentioned a while ago, the somewhat dyslectic numbering on the instructions and the slightly screwball wording on some of the decs, it has not been too bad, but certainly could have been better. I suppose that it is not as good as the alternative resin one (if you can get it), but a darned sight cheaper. You will be able to judge for yourselves when it goes in the Gallery. It is certainly a major improvement on the ancient Frog one it will replace.

Oh, incidentally and in fairness to Modedecal/Hannants I found another 6 decal "B" on the sheet so only short by 2.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Pete your collection of EDSG and Sky builds are looking good. I am currently sourcing my 1/48 Trumpeter Seahawk following on from watching your enjoyable builds. 

• Thanks 1

Technically not a good picture but it does show the various aerials I have added and the way it sits.

DSC02394-crop

The arrestor hook is hanging down below the fuselage a bit more than it should due to the well being too shallow, but not as bad as I expected.

Pete

• Like 4

Your attention to detail in this scale is wonderful. You may not think a technically good picture but I think you captured it nicely. I think it's an angle which improves the look of the Attacker. The higher views always look like Supermarine did not put enough lead shot in the nose!!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Your attention to detail in this scale is wonderful. You may not think a technically good picture but I think you captured it nicely. I think it's an angle which improves the look of the Attacker. The higher views always look like Supermarine did not put enough lead shot in the nose!!

Agree - it's nice to see the aerials and so on, which normally get lost from above.

It's almost a shot from just below the flight deck!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Agree - it's nice to see the aerials and so on, which normally get lost from above.

It's almost a shot from just below the flight deck!

Totally agree!! 

• Like 1

• PeterB changed the title to AZ Models Supermarine Attacker***FINISHED***

Well, it is done and in the Gallery. It has been an interesting build not without its problems but it has come out quite well in the end.

DSC02413-crop

Pics are a bit light but the best I can do at the moment.

Thanks for watching.

Pete

• Like 1