Steyr 1500A/01

Foxbat

Inspired by a couple of Opel Blitz builds in the Armour forum, I've gone for a German softskin blitz build - and yes I realise I missed a great chance there. This one has less parts and less surface area to paint so stands more chance of being completed (see below).

I'm at work tomorrow, have family coming on Saturday and I'm out doing things on Sunday so this will be a Dad's Army build starting tea time tomorrow and continuing over the weekend. Thank goodness that rule was introduced, I would have been left in the starting blocks otherwise.

Some things never change. First up is the box shot:

spacer.png

And the contents. There's a small decal sheet somewhere, with my chosen scheme using a massive 4 of them. 

spacer.png

Let's rock!!

Andy

• Like 6

I was going to start dead on 7 but you know how those best laid plans go...

spacer.png

This is a typical Tamiya kit. Everything is beautifully engineered and just fits together beautifully. So much so that I'd reached this point without remembering to take any intermediate pictures. Fortunately the bodyshell is just placed on the chassis, so I'll be sure to take some more shots as I install seats, controls and whatever gubbins Mr Tamiya throws at me.

Unfortunately, the floor pan screws to the cast metal chassis. Which already has the incredibly fine running gear glued in place. So one of those front wheels is now but jointed mid axle and I'm hoping there'll be somewhere I can hide a support for the joint later as I had neither the time, skill or bits to pin it properly.

spacer.png

First coat of paint on everything is dog rough, but I'll tidy it up with a second thin coat and the final weathering should bring everything together. Two hours in and it's time for the first snack break.

spacer.png

Quality food - a home made Christmas cake that was fed half a bottle of cooking brandy before it was iced, and a very nice chocolate ruby port. Think I may have finished modelling for tonight, but I've got a good foundation to crack on tomorrow.

spacer.png

Chin chin,

Andy

• Like 3

Saturday. Just a quick painting session between prepping the house, shopping and family arriving.

Start:spacer.png

Painting parts on the sprue for speed. This paid dividends later:

spacer.png

The body (told you it wasn't glued up) got another coat:

spacer.png

And finish. That was quick :o 

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 1

Sunday I have been mostly visiting friends and doing one of those Escape Room jobbies in Sunderland. I took a pic of my start time, but to be honest it was so late in the day I had the whole of the last 4.5 hours of the GB to play with. Tonight's snacks are a selection left over from our buffet earlier.

spacer.png

Construction continued apace. Painting happened in one area as glue was setting somewhere else. The front wheel fell off again and has been reset yet again. It should last long enough to make the gallery

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It needs the windscreen and steering wheel, final highlighting and 3 decals. I've got 45 minutes to do that, plus half an hour to get the evidence in the gallery. No problem :D

Andy

• Like 1

Right, so some numbers. This build took about 8 hours over 3 days using the Dad's Army rule. During that time I met approximately a dozen people in three different towns, drove about 70 miles, drank a lot and consumed roughly a billion square calories. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? 

That was fun, but I'm shattered, my head is pounding with stress and glue fumes and I have to be at work at 8am tomorrow. Goodnight BM. Hope mine isn't the last entry in the gallery :)

Andy

• Like 1