Victor Flaps advice needed

Stuart Wilson

Hi,

Got the Airfix Victor B2 off Santa this year and having never built one before I need some advice:

I would prefer to build it with the flaps up. Photos seem to show this was common when parked but I'm not sure. Is this the case?

The two intakes on the upper rear fuselage can be deployed up or down. Again up seems to be standard when parked, I assume this was the case?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Wilson

24 minutes ago, Stuart Wilson said:

I would prefer to build it with the flaps up. Photos seem to show this was common when parked but I'm not sure. Is this the case?

Hi Stuart, you are correct, the Victor was always parked with the flaps in the up position, just be careful when following the Airfix instructions, there was a mistake on the K.2 instructions when building the kit with the flaps raised.  They instruct you at steps 26 and 27 to cut the fairings off the rear of the wings, DO NOT cut them off,  the larger fairings need some trimming where parts H5 and H6 go to get the flaps to lie flush, but some dry fitting will show what needs doing.

2 hours ago, Stuart Wilson said:

The two intakes on the upper rear fuselage can be deployed up or down. Again up seems to be standard when parked, I assume this was the case?

The air intakes were always up when parked.

Any other questions, please ask.

2 hours ago, Stuart Wilson said:

Hi,

Got the Airfix Victor B2 off Santa this year and having never built one before I need some advice:

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stuart

For the love of the modelling gods when you build the flaps

DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Steps 28 and 29 would have you cutting off the wrong bits and if you chuck the bits you cut off you're going to have a hard time fixing it.

I'll link to my first build, the issue is mentioned in there as well as the correct thing to do. 

Quoting a comment from another user in that thread:

The wing centre upper section that fits onto the fuselage needs to be thinned along with the mating section of the fuselage until it fits without a step, you need to dry fit the parts to see the problem and the remedial work is obvious.  If you are building it with flaps down no problem, but if you want the flaps up DO NOT cut off the wing trailing fairing as the plans direct at steps 28 & 29, it's the wrong bit to cut off.  Victors were never parked with flaps down so I am putting mine up, the bit to actually cut off is the flap track that extends out at the rear of the lower wings, parts D5 & D6, again dry fit the parts and the problem with the flaps not fitting is obvious.  I have not found any other problems, so far.  

The two intakes were almost exclusively open on the ground. 

Flaps were rarely down on the ground except going down the runway. 

18 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Stuart, you are correct, the Victor was always parked with the flaps in the up position, just be careful when following the Airfix instructions, there was a mistake on the K.2 instructions when building the kit with the flaps raised.  They instruct you at steps 26 and 27 to cut the fairings off the rear of the wings, DO NOT cut them off,  the larger fairings need some trimming where parts H5 and H6 go to get the flaps to lie flush, but some dry fitting will show what needs doing.

The air intakes were always up when parked.

Any other questions, please ask.

Mistake was also in the B.2 kit, I think the quote in my comment came from you actually

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Mistake was also in the B.2 kit, I think the quote in my comment came from you actually

Hi Adam, not sure what Airfix were thinking with this fairing removal, there were comments about it when the B.2 first came out but seems like they could not be bothered to correct the mistake.  I still have my Victors on hold while I finish off some other kits, perhaps when the new Vulcan arrives I will get them finished.