FW 190F-8 - Eduard 1/72

CedB

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lme0G6pOo

Sorry I am going deaf. LOL.

Looks like you making good headway with this one Ced.

Could have her finished by the end of next week?

Simon. 

Thanks Simon :)  Arrrgghh - those haircuts! Mind you I had one like that 'in the old days'…

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Progressing fast with this one, Ces - are you? :clap:

Lots of PE, but they really add up some fine detailing :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - slowing down now as I try to close the fuselage (see below) :) 

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

My kids would, they're rerunning it on a Sky channel out here now, its a favourite.

Steve.

Good news Steve - it'll improve their French no end! :D 

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

It was TV religion back then, everything stopped for half an hour.

Simon.

Indeed, those were the days eh? Family gathering to share the experience… rather than streaming in their bedrooms. That's what they said they were doing :shrug:

Things are looking good in the wings:

49291056098_f23c231a32_z.jpg

Lazy painting on the exhausts, but then all you'll see is:

49291747122_c1864080aa_z.jpg

…and only then if you pick it up.

I had the 'fizzy problem' with the Molotow Chrome again - after shaking and shaking a blob of chrome did gather on the top of the 'nib' so I used that, but it was thick:

49291059283_1ebe8c4659_z.jpg

I'm wondering if the nib bit has clogged and is only letting through the thin 'carrier fluid'? If I remember I might try pulling that out next time and brushing the stuff.

Right, fuselage close up.

The fin makes a good reference so that was clamped and the sides wiggled together:

49291087308_817ab255fc_z.jpg

I focussed on trying to get the bulkhead 'central':

49291775387_931b2174f4_z.jpg

As you can see there's more of a gap closer to the camera. Hmmm.

(Don't worry, I've found the missing belt and it got re-glued)

PC warned about the top i/p - I can see what he means:

49291785082_08db2e10a4_z.jpg

You can see the slots in the fuselage sides, just above the cocking levers (snigger), and the sloped sides of the assembled top i/p. 

The assembled part is too thick to fit in the slots.

Yes, it does drop in to the 'pit when you try to dry fit it.

Several times.

No I didn't knock off the levers - yet.

Nothing for it - dissemble… diss-assemble? the i/p:

49291106493_ba2ed12dd5_z.jpg

and try the plastic bit in the slots - it just fits, but too wide with the PE.

Right, sand it down…

Oooh look, artistic shot:

49291802292_8c5f25030c_z.jpg

(No worry about the fingerprint - I now have friends in the Police - ha ha!)

The coaming that will, as if by magic, fit over the gunsight has flash in the window:

49291133468_2cf3a4bd75_z.jpg

Cleaned out with a #10A.

The PE has now been stuck back on and I'll try another dry fit when it's dry.

Here we are now:

49291144218_4f0602a2d7_z.jpg

I can always tell how tricky a build is by the tools on the bench - here cleaned down to the minimum so I don't grab the wrong thing.

Another recommendation for the Platz saw by the way - cutting those weird knobs off the Eduard parts is really easy with this thing - you can position the blade against the part (for example that coaming) and, with a couple of swipes, clean part! A good investment IMHO.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Well, thanks to PC's warning and a lot of fiddling, the fuselage is closed:

49291348953_0b497130d8_z.jpg

The top i/p is in and pretty central:

49292038437_d93b2b1bb1_z.jpg

…and, of course, covering up all the detail :weep:

The coaming has been carefully dropped on:

49291842201_e3567f9cb9_z.jpg

I'll glue it when I do the rest of the nose - the next 'problem area'.

I could glue the wings together but I think I'll leave them until I fit the wings to the fuselage, just in case

• Like 11

Doing fiddly and doing it very nicely indeed Ced. Impressed at the pace and quality of your work on that interior. :clap2:

Sporting the new Britmodeller Masonic symbol I see:

49 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oooh look, artistic shot:

49291802292_8c5f25030c_z.jpg

Be warned if this man approaches you at Telford next year waving a finger like ET....

• Haha 9

Aaaahhhhh a baddie!

Well I feel I’m a bit late to the party, but I’ll be looking in through the window!

looking very nice so far, you appear to be teaching that PE a thing our two. 

love both the options you’ve got there, it’s a tough call.

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Doing fiddly and doing it very nicely indeed Ced. Impressed at the pace and quality of your work on that interior. :clap2:

Sporting the new Britmodeller Masonic symbol I see:

Be warned if this man approaches you at Telford next year waving a finger like ET....

'tis so Brother Tony :D 

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Aaaahhhhh a baddie!

Well I feel I’m a bit late to the party, but I’ll be looking in through the window!

looking very nice so far, you appear to be teaching that PE a thing our two. 

love both the options you’ve got there, it’s a tough call.

Rob

Hi Rob - you made page 3! Now get your top back on… :D 

Ticked off three of PC's warnings now:

49291772993_872a8a66b1_z.jpg

Needs painting but I hope it's in the right position.

Back of the wings glued in:

49292263491_c236b08a0f_z.jpg

The tight fit needs a lot of wiggling and I want to avoid the 'back in, front out, front in, back out' game so I'll let that dry while I have some lunch.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Wings on:

49292122293_1e6f1c945f_z.jpg

Fitting the tops of the wings after fitting the lower to the fuselage may have given me a problem.

'Something' was stopping the wings going together and I couldn't see what.

My usual solution is to flood things with TET and squeeze the hell out of the plastic and that seemed to do it.

There was still a mismatch at the front of the wheel bays (hence the weird clamping) but I think I've sorted it.

It was a learning experience*

And the pitot's still on.

*  “A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.’” - Douglas Adams

• Like 9

Clamps off, ailerons and empennage on:

49293997038_92b9f22296_z.jpg

What? The blue thing? That's my patent 'Pitot Tube ProtectorTM'. Oh, OK, a cut up credit card. Better safe than sorry…

Leading edge needs attention:

49294001083_2719c0c19f_z.jpg

… probably another reason to glue the wings together before going to the fuselage.

That said, the seam is practically invisible:

49294492316_6dc8049665_z.jpg

… except for the panel that goes up into the fuselage. i guess that's a 'feature' of the aircraft?

Another PC warning resolved - the nose isn't the same as the kit he built and just has two rings that go on the front:

49294494921_60dbefd106_z.jpg

You can see I've painted the coaming too.

Next step is… dah dah daaaaah - wheels. Don't do wheels. Normally.

Should I be using the ribbed ones or the smooth ones? Tyres, the tyres, you naughty thing :wicked:

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Should I be using the ribbed ones or the smooth ones? Tyres, the tyres, you naughty thing :wicked:

Fnaar... :rolleyes:

As a guess, given the snow camo of the one you've chosen, I'd say ribbed....

Just a guess though!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Ced,

about the under-wing storage, I've seen few photos with rockets, but it seems that the most common outfitting was the central hard point and then two bomb racks under each wing (similar to camo A and E in the Eduard profipack). The central hardpoint could be done to carry bomb or a fuel tank. It might be nice to do a storage on this point and then install empty bomb racks under the wing to give it a different look from a standard A-8.

Really nice progress on the fiddly bits! Few bits on the wheel wells. My experience has been that there is quite a seamline in the wheel wells toward the leading edges, especially in the larger area for wheels. I've had the best experience with perfect putty to just put it in and then smooth it and give it a light re-spray with RLM 02. Similarly, in few cases the PE locks that you have in one of the photos above can stand too proud and not allow the wing to close smoothly - so check the fit. If this is the case, you can try to sand them down a bit. In my case I have ended up pulling them out, deepening the slots on the bottom wing and re-attaching them again. In either case, with a bit of care they end up fitting. IIRC the rest of the wing assembly should be fine. The other wonky point of the kit is the cowling - but that's for later ;) HTH and look forward to seeing more of your progress.

• Thanks 1

Small but perfectly formed Mr B. , those PE bits looked super fiddly. Wheels too, unheard of sir!!!! 🙌😇. I’d go ribbed, more grip in the wet. 😋

As you’re doing snow camo. 🤪🌨

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Fnaar... :rolleyes:

As a guess, given the snow camo of the one you've chosen, I'd say ribbed....

Just a guess though!

Keith

Thanks Keith - ribbed it is. I did type the famous tag line in there but thought better of it… my pleasure :wicked:

I did zoom in on the scheme picture and they seem to be ribbed:

49298466267_982d955589_z.jpg

But wait! Where are the bottoms of the gear doors?

I'm thinking they took them off to allow the snow to blow off before the wheels were retracted.

My only experience of flying off snowy ground was the CFI saying "Leave the wheels down for a bit or the snow will freeze the wheels in the bay and they won't come down". 'A bit' was never really defined. Tense.

13 hours ago, jan_cz said:

Ced,

about the under-wing storage, I've seen few photos with rockets, but it seems that the most common outfitting was the central hard point and then two bomb racks under each wing (similar to camo A and E in the Eduard profipack). The central hardpoint could be done to carry bomb or a fuel tank. It might be nice to do a storage on this point and then install empty bomb racks under the wing to give it a different look from a standard A-8.

Really nice progress on the fiddly bits! Few bits on the wheel wells. My experience has been that there is quite a seamline in the wheel wells toward the leading edges, especially in the larger area for wheels. I've had the best experience with perfect putty to just put it in and then smooth it and give it a light re-spray with RLM 02. Similarly, in few cases the PE locks that you have in one of the photos above can stand too proud and not allow the wing to close smoothly - so check the fit. If this is the case, you can try to sand them down a bit. In my case I have ended up pulling them out, deepening the slots on the bottom wing and re-attaching them again. In either case, with a bit of care they end up fitting. IIRC the rest of the wing assembly should be fine. The other wonky point of the kit is the cowling - but that's for later ;) HTH and look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Thanks Jan, appreciated (especially the tips) :) 

Empty central bomb rack it is but too late for the wing ones - they don't seem to be fitted on this scheme.

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Small but perfectly formed Mr B. , those PE bits looked super fiddly. Wheels too, unheard of sir!!!! 🙌😇. I’d go ribbed, more grip in the wet. 😋

As you’re doing snow camo. 🤪🌨

Thanks Johnny :) 

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Is this one of those ‘ quick build ‘ kits then?

I havn’t had much time for BM in the last couple of days due to social and other activities and here you are nearly finished! :dog:

Thanks John :) Not a QuickBuild but it is going together really well…

So, off with the bottom of the doors:

49297997226_4bac91d875_z.jpg

Stroked with a #10A, the 'Stew Dapple Method'.

Wheel bays and intake masked:

49298243032_5875879a79_z.jpg

I used my favourite packaging 'worms' for the bays, the ones that squish but don't spring back. Get hold of some if you can, they're great for this sort of job. You can cut them easily with a scalpel and push them into places and they stay where you put them. Simples.

Canopies masked:

49298254736_df55e9e4ab_z.jpg

You can probably guess I'm going to use the closed canopy as a mask, tacked on with latex glue.

Windscreen stuck on with Formula 560.

I'm really liking the new ESD-16 tweezers for masking - sharp enough points to lift the mask and smooth enough on the back for burnishing down. Nice.

Central hard point and bomb rack glued on with TET Quick Drying:

49297832603_9c97cf6b7c_z.jpg

Another PC warning ticked off (I'm beginning to think this kit is a later mould with some problems removed).

Tailwheel masked and I just need to check for bits I've missed before a wipe over with IPA, then paint!

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

"Canopies masked..."

NOW WHAT DO WE DO?

We run clear/Klear/Alclad Clear gloss varnish along the masked canopy parts to prevent, er what do we prevent with a thin touch of clear varnish along the masking?

Yes we hopes we can stop paint creeping under the masking.

Looking very good Ced

👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wow, I'm impressed with your progress. I'm miles behind with mine and have already almost put a hammer to it. 

It doesn't exactly fall together does it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

"Canopies masked..."

NOW WHAT DO WE DO?

We run clear/Klear/Alclad Clear gloss varnish along the masked canopy parts to prevent, er what do we prevent with a thin touch of clear varnish along the masking?

Yes we hopes we can stop paint creeping under the masking.

Looking very good Ced

👍

Sorry Bill, too lazy :lalala: You can reserve the right (with Giorgio) to say I told you so :D 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really looking like a Fw 190 now! The finish line is in sight!

Roger

Thanks Roger - almost; just the hard painting! :) 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Mottling ahoy at this rate I'd say. :clap:

Yar me 'arties :D After the camo, of course.

8 minutes ago, IanC said:

Wow, I'm impressed with your progress. I'm miles behind with mine and have already almost put a hammer to it. 

It doesn't exactly fall together does it?

Thanks Ian :) The tolerances are certainly very small and everything benefits from a dry fit and some sanding I think.

Session in the booth:

49299673936_364ac2351e_z.jpg

RLM76 on the bottom, 66 on the wrongly painted canopy bits and the canopy, 70 on the prop blades, 23 on the nose.

In that order.

BMer: "Oooh Ced, that's brave, won't you get one paint on top of the other"

Me: "No, it's fine, clean out with thinner between colours and just be careful where you're aiming"

BMer: "But what about overspray when you're concentrating on the nose coverage?"

49299880907_cf9df5df39_z.jpg

Me: "No one likes a smart, er, bottom"

Yes I did have to respray some of the bottom.

Yes I should have been more patient and masked before the red.

No, I won't do it again.

Not today anyway.

I did mask 'the bits that will be yellow' though.

I'll let that dry and mask up for the camo tomorrow.

• Like 12

Thanks Bill and Keith - it's a bloomin' Pantomime this thread. Oh no it isn't! :D 

On a completely different topic Mrs B 'suggested' we sort out the photos tonight. Oh joy. We have several big boxes of 'loose' photos and a LOT of albums and I've had it on my 'To Do List' for ages to sort them out, digitise the prints and try to catalog stuff. Deep joy.

Among the problems are the daughters (one in particular) who has been copying and printing pictures for collages and then putting the prints back in the boxes.

Duplicates? Don't talk to me about duplicates.

See the problem.

Anyway, I came across this in the box MiL had 'passed on':

49301754126_acf6e21f39_z.jpg

One of Father-in-Law's pictures - he serviced Choppers with RAF - and as luck would have it I happen to have ordered the new LF Models kit from Hannants to top up a recent purchase of some PE landing lights.

I blame @Procopius - he bought 'some' and we saw a few on our tour.

Helicopters? Well, perhaps I don't hate the early ones as much…

On the 190 I've also cleaned off most of the red overspray with IPA:

49301306998_37b195759a_z.jpg

What's remaining is a new technique I call 'Red Basing'.

It'll never catch on… or will it?

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

12 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm thinking they took them off to allow the snow to blow off before the wheels were retracted.

Also to stop snow building up between the wheel and the door while moving on the ground, jamming the wheel and causing a nose over.  The doors were taken off Messerschmitts and the spats  off Stukas for the same reason.  Interestingly I can’t recall seeing any evidence that the Russians did this (someone will no doubt now post photos of UC doorless Yaks to prove otherwise!)

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1