Very bad news about the Victor

Adam Poultney

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:43 PM, Kushan_Farsight said:

That is true, it might be just too close to what they already have.  My thinking was that in the whole decommisioning of Cosford as an active base, there would be more 'airbase' land that an airframe could be put on... perhaps even a hanger or 2 given over to the Museum. but i admit that may be wishful thinking on my part.

I doubt very much you'd want it on a hanger, the weight would be too much for the structure and it's a challenging enough task to dust the current hanging/posed exhibits!

only 2 worrying days left for applications! :( Throwing the information over to anyone i think can help at this point.  

My local council is obsessed with roundabouts, and spent £56,000 on a few LED lit perspex windows, so im hoping that they might consider sticking this on one of the larger roundabouts to see the value/appeal of something like this as a potential tourist attraction, or even an unusual 'gate guard' on one of their new fancy science & technology business parks! 

2 hours ago, Agent K said:

I doubt very much you'd want it on a hanger, the weight would be too much for the structure and it's a challenging enough task to dust the current hanging/posed exhibits!

I dont think it would be suitable for hanging! I was more thinking that in the process of changing from an active base, some of the current 'in use' hangars could be re purposed to house this victor! but all a little too short on time! 

Things aren't looking good for the poor thing :( I hope this doesn't end with her at a scrapyard, we need to try to preserve everything we can, I might try to contact my local aerospace museum (Morayvia), maybe they'll buy it, in the mean time, hope someone else can get her a home.

Edited by KingTiger435
fixed a spelling mistake, accidentally wrote "U" instead of "I"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If it's gutted and knackered with structural issues, it's probably better to put her out of her misery, as sad as that is.  You can't just pour money into a corroded hulk that's big and hard to store without a clue of how to make any money back :shrug:

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 19:32, Mike said:

If it's gutted and knackered with structural issues, it's probably better to put her out of her misery, as sad as that is.  You can't just pour money into a corroded hulk that's big and hard to store without a clue of how to make any money back :shrug:

Ditto this, very fortunately, there are still a number of Victors in good condition, including two that can taxi (one even flew!).

Unfortunately, gate guardian duty is usually a death sentence for aircraft - keeping even a well looked after in-service aircraft corrosion free is a huge challenge, let alone an aircraft that has been sat outside. Often *serviceable* aircraft that are overhauled are found to be falling apart (it's actually worrying!).

As great as it would be to preserve everything, I think money may be better spent elsewhere...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's very sad of course. The Victor is an iconic aircraft. One wonders if The National Lottery would fund such a project? Even then i think the funding has to be matched.

We as aviation enthusiasts probably realise the true value of this aircraft. Most people who are not interested in the same things as us.. probably wouldn't want their Lottery money spent on this 'good cause'.

It's almost a parallel of the scramble to preserve steam railways in the late 60's early 70's. Groups of very dedicated people taking over uneconomic railway lines. Some of these Preserved railways have been an enduring 'success'. With Covid many now face an uncertain future. The same is true of aviation museums. Duxford is brilliant and the exhibits are mostly undercover but the IWM is properly funded and a world class museum and repository for historic artefacts. 

Sadly i think it's probably going to be curtains for this Victor. Breaks my heart to say it.

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Watching the time lapse video, I received the impression that there was a certain dignity to the way it was dismantled -not cut up, not scrapped and it didn't have a digger carve through it either. It was almost ceremonial.

Well, the captions explain that - it's being dismantled for salvage, unusually.  I wonder what other gate guard will be getting what other parts?