1/35 Hanomag SS 100 Strassenschlepper

JeroenS

The sole reason I chose this puppy was because of its looks, and not because of the possibilities of extra detailing. Following that guideline, I'm building it according to the WYSIWYP principle (What You See Is What You Paint) 🙂 

Which means I'm not bothering too much about items which will not be visible in the finished product. I've painted the engine in the colour of the chassis and mounted it. Both front and back axles are on, as are the air tanks on both sides. 

20200205162253-9c302f85-me.jpg

20200205162254-790579cd-me.jpg

20200205162253-2eefc065-me.jpg

Next up: windows, and finishing the dashboard (there are a couple of decals). After that I can start mounting the body onto the chassis. This is a 4 step process: first the cab, then the firewall, after that the front including the bonnet, and lastly the roof to tie things together.

• Like 5

OK, one final picture of the interior 

20200205162254-5aa690a4-me.jpg

and there it is all closed up. 

20200205162254-d4aa58ac-me.jpg

20200205162254-007badc1-me.jpg

The chassis has already had a bit of weathering, the cab not yet, apart from the chipped paint that is. I'll add the tanks and mudguards before applying more weathering to the completed truck as a whole. I'm just drybrushing different colours really, sometimes blending them with a bit of water. I should have some more time tomorrow. I'll have to make a start on those tyres as well. I'd like to have it finished before the Scandinavian GB, I think that should just about work. 

• Like 7

Got a bit more done today, I had a go at one of the tyres. Rule no 1: always start with the spare wheel 🙂 

The mold line came away very easily and a light sanding of the whole tyre, followed by some light sienna pigments gave a satisfactory result. Here's the spare wheel next to an untreated tyre. 

20200205162255-c5dd785c-me.jpg

The rest of the wheels and tyres still need some work, the rims are in various stages of painting. All the major components are now mounted. The wheels are dry fitted. I got a little bit of weathering done on the front left mudguard. 

20200205162255-18e4c3ab-me.jpg 

20200205162255-5f39455b-me.jpg

The end is in sight!

• Like 7

A bit of progress on the tyres tonight, they are all sanded and got some pigments and weathering powders and should be fine.

20200205162256-991f8011-me.jpg

For the truck itself, not really progress but one step back and another one forward but in a different direction. I wasn't happy with the mudguards, I felt I had overdone the chipping on them. So I repainted in flat brown, applied some of the masking fluid (a lot less than before) and repainted in black. It looks better now, so I guess it still counts as progress. 

20200205162256-992500cd-me.jpg

I discovered that there is a speck of something white clinging to the inside of the windshield... unreachable of course... I hate that!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Spiny said:

It's always progress if you get one step nearer where you want to be, even if you have to retrace a lot of steps to get there.

I didn't know you were so philosophic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's a wrap for the wheels. 

20200205162256-c072a7b6-me.jpg

I don't really feel like doing anything else tonight, but: I'm going to force myself to paint some small stuff like license plates, steps for on the rear mudguards, windshield wipers... that sort of stuff. It's only 15 minutes, but... 

I always get this when I'm almost done... the next build is beckoning! 

• Like 5

Hi all, I've called done on the Strassenschlepper, here's the RFI:

Thanks for all the comments and encouragements along the way!

• Like 2