AMT 1:537 NCC-1701

Masks are off.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51985660144_712f96f2b7_b.jpg

Lots of detail touch-ups required now. One thing I hadn't counted on was the way the Mr Crystal Color reacts to enamel paints when applied with a brush - they just won't take (Tamiya acrylics are almost as bad). I'll have to coat the whole model in Future first and then do the touch-ups.

• Like 6

Decalling now. There are a lot!

51985373206_d7b3351286_b.jpg

The JT-Graphics decals are on a solid film and need to be trimmed close. They're fairly thin and conform well but Micro-Set makes them hard to handle as they want to set down immediately, so I took to adding a couple more drops of dishwashing liquid to the water and letting them sit in it for at least 30 seconds (much longer than the five seconds the instructions say). I also found that, against my better judgement and years of avoiding touching decals, in many cases a finger moistened with the water from the bowl was the best way to position stubborn, long, thin decals. After they'd set, a coat with Micro-Sol and they pulled down very well indeed.

51985432113_e8e821bda6_b.jpg

Almost done. A few more to apply and the touch-ups you can see masked and ready and then a final Future coat to seal. I also worked on the base this weekend.

• Like 8

Very nice! 🖖

I tried building that kit a couple of months ago but chucked it in the bin as I couldn't find a good way to attach the nacelle pylons......I have a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise on the bench now.

20 hours ago, Devo said:

I couldn't find a good way to attach the nacelle pylons

They're definitely the weak point. Reinforcing with wire has strengthened mine but I've still managed to crack the starboard nacelle pylon at the base a couple of times through careless handling.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...