RAF Mustang IV

Davek72

Permission to join?

Due to restrictions on time I wasn't planning on joining this GB...but I suddenly (a) got the itch and (b) discovered that I was slightly better prepared for Christmas Day than I expected.  

I was planning on getting as much of this done in the 48 hours of Christmas Day and Boxing Day before we go off to see relatives.  Its sort of my own min blitz build.

This is what I had in the stash:

49268960602_48730623b0_b.jpg

49268762041_10f45d7890_b.jpg

49268960582_19c550d3ec_b.jpg

49268301628_9645679c61_b.jpg

Thanks you for looking all comments welcome.

Dave

• Like 5

Ok interesting camo issue.

As this is a starter set they only expect you to use the 4 colours provided.  Obviously I am not going to do this.

Hunting around I found the Zoukei instructions for their 1/32 version of the same plane with colour call outs...

49277000303_7a19a2ee69_b.jpg

Compared with the Airfix one...

49268302148_049b853c0a_b.jpg

Game of spot the difference anyone?  Is one right and the other wrong or am I getting confused?

Dave

• Like 3

The Zoukel instructions are likeley more correct for the camo as they tie up more with this pic

p51_shk2.jpg

and with the Freight dog instructions http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/decals/fsd48009decalreviewbf_1.htm

But freight dog depict a red spinner.

Discussion here

If you have a coin. It might be worth tossing it.

3 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

The Zoukel instructions are likeley more correct for the camo as they tie up more with this pic

p51_shk2.jpg

and with the Freight dog instructions http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/decals/fsd48009decalreviewbf_1.htm

But freight dog depict a red spinner.

Discussion here

If you have a coin. It might be worth tossing it.

Thanks CT I am going with Zoukei as this looks closest to the photo.   It’s this stuff that makes modelling interesting.  

Dave

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dave

Welcoame aboard

Have fun with your build ..

Patrice

Thanks Patrice.   Always a pleasure.  

Dave

The current owners/operators of the P-51D warbird operating out of Duxford that carries the C&M of the subject aircraft, did a lot of research to ensure the accuracy of the C&M on the aircraft and it more closely matches the ZM option, with the difference they went with the red spinner as there is other photographs that apparently the aircraft did at some stage possibly/likely/may have/high probability from the available evidence, had a red spinner with a yellow backplate fitted - was something specific to the Squadron in a particular post-war timeframe and before the Sky spinner was applied.

The linked threads here on Britmodeller in earlier response posts have touched on this in part and there has been a fair bit of discussion and analysis on some of the warbird website forums on the matter of the scheme and its degree of accuracy.

Edited by ColFord
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, ColFord said:

The current owners/operators of the P-51D warbird operating out of Duxford that carries the C&M of the subject aircraft, did a lot of research to ensure the accuracy of the C&M on the aircraft and it more closely matches the ZM option, with the difference they went with the red spinner as there is other photographs that apparently the aircraft did at some stage possibly/likely/may have/high probability from the available evidence, had a red spinner with a yellow backplate fitted - was something specific to the Squadron in a particular post-war timeframe and before the Sky spinner was applied.

The linked threads here on Britmodeller in earlier response posts have touched on this in part and there has been a fair bit of discussion and analysis on some of the warbird website forums on the matter of the scheme and its degree of accuracy.

A belated thanks for this Colin.

Dave