1/72 Nakajima B5N1 Kate, Airfix+Eduard

Fuad

First class, Fuad!  Wonderful natural metal finish and great interior detail.  Very well done... ;-)

Regards,

paul

Fuad,

Beautiful rendition of the Airfix kit. I really liked how you were able to duplicate the yellow/gold tint on the metal surfaces caused by the protective clear lacquer that was sprayed on to protect from salt spray and corrosion. One small suggestion; we had a lot of discussion a while back on the fabric  texture that Airfix molded on three of the four wing flap sections, and you can do a search for it. From everything I have been able to find, including the link I have attached below as well as in the Maru Mechanic monograph on the B5N-1/2, the Kate's wing flaps were of metal construction and were skinned in aluminium, not fabric. In the aerial view photo, you can clearly see the lack of any fabric or ribs on the flaps. I think Airfix might have interpreted the drawings in the Maru Mechanic that showed the details pf the flap structure and thought this meant they were fabric-covered. Not sure I  would want to mess up that gorgeous model correcting the flaps, but wanted you to be aware of this. (I'm still one of your biggest fans!)

Mike

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/pearl-harbor-blog/nakajima-b5n2/

• Like 2

Beside your master skills with kits I noted your mastery in photography. Either you modify them in some photo tool or use special settings when taking them. When I looked at these photos of Kate's interior during the building process, I initially thought these were artistic drawings scans from some Japanese modelling magazine. It took me a while to realize these are the photos of your kit. Amazing!

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Fuad,

Beautiful rendition of the Airfix kit. I really liked how you were able to duplicate the yellow/gold tint on the metal surfaces caused by the protective clear lacquer that was sprayed on to protect from salt spray and corrosion. One small suggestion; we had a lot of discussion a while back on the fabric  texture that Airfix molded on three of the four wing flap sections, and you can do a search for it. From everything I have been able to find, including the link I have attached below as well as in the Maru Mechanic monograph on the B5N-1/2, the Kate's wing flaps were of metal construction and were skinned in aluminium, not fabric. In the aerial view photo, you can clearly see the lack of any fabric or ribs on the flaps. I think Airfix might have interpreted the drawings in the Maru Mechanic that showed the details pf the flap structure and thought this meant they were fabric-covered. Not sure I  would want to mess up that gorgeous model correcting the flaps, but wanted you to be aware of this. (I'm still one of your biggest fans!)

Mike

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/pearl-harbor-blog/nakajima-b5n2/

My colleagues and I also discussed what flaps and ailerons were made of. We came to the conclusion that since power set is visible on them, they are still covered with something soft. And even in some photographs, there is a clear contrast between the surface textures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13mWR4rbVxtOS9vdIR84MQrFuWLyYWtiF

Edited by Fuad

7 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Beside your master skills with kits I noted your mastery in photography. Either you modify them in some photo tool or use special settings when taking them. When I looked at these photos of Kate's interior during the building process, I initially thought these were artistic drawings scans from some Japanese modelling magazine. It took me a while to realize these are the photos of your kit. Amazing!

Thanks for the comment. I first tried shooting on a phone with high declared characteristics.

Thanks for introducing me to a new experience - being so astounded at a set of photographs of a model that I involuntarily swore!

If I had to guess at the origins of the kit, Airfix would not have been anywhere near my first guess. If I had to guess the scale, I wouldn't have considered 1:72 even for a second.

I'm going for a lie down now!

12 hours ago, Fuad said:

My colleagues and I also discussed what flaps and ailerons were made of

Fuad,

There is some photographic references to suggest that the B5N1 variant had fabric-covered flaps, but that the B5N2 had metal-covered flaps. I'm sure your research probably turned up the same photos that mine did, and the two men I knew well from the J-Aircraft website who would know the answer without a doubt have since passed away. We may never know for sure. I think the scale drawings in the Maru Mechanic were probably the ones used by kitmakers, as I think they are the only existing ones, and they are somewhat misleading, as they show the internal metal structure  of the flaps,  ailerons, rudder, and elevators, but not the covering material. There is a pretty good-sized remnant of a Kate at the Pearl Museum that includes most of the fuselage and the complete RH wing and inner LH wing, but none of the photos I have seen show the control surfaces. I don't believe the NASM has a Kate in storage, only a  B6N Jill and a Val. I was going by Francillon's book and the description in the linked article. Since I plan to build the B5N2 variant, it doesn't reflect upon the excellent work you have done on your B5N1. I doubt mine will come up to your high standards, anyway! 

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, KonaDawg said:

Hi,  Possibly just me but I cant see your images any more....

Me, neither. It says: URL signature expired

Has you photo hosting site have a time limit?

Chris