Trumpeter 1/144 F-86E(M) Sabre - JRV

srkirad

First and first, Mery Christmas to all who celebrate today!

All the best wishes, and may the sprue&glue be with us through whole next year! :)

I've planned to participate North American Aviation GB (host: @trickyrich), but unfortunately GB didn't make it to the final group during bunnpoll, so why not build it then in this new GB category? 

Until the start of the build, I'll put this boxart as a placeholder - it will be replaced with the photo of sprues...

103523-11185-29-pristine.jpg

I won't tell you yet what do I have on my mind in terms of markings and livery, let it be a surprise in a way :) but for sure it will be kind of a exotic one! 

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, off we go with this one!

I didn't cut off any parts from sprue yet, but they've been given some colour, just to be in line with NY's and Xmas holidays' joyfulness :)

jrv-sabre-144-001.jpg

Decals are Lift Here made, as I will represent one of JRV (Jugoslovensko Ratno Vazduhoplovstvo - Yugoslav Air Force) birds... can you guess which one of these it will be? 🤐

jrv-sabre-144-002.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 10

• srkirad changed the title to Trumpeter 1/144 F-86E(M) Sabre - JRV

You guessed my intentions :)

Yellow represents plane from first Aerobatic team of Yugoslav Air Force - it didn't have name in that stage, and they flew 5 Sabres (I think it was 5) painted in Yellow/PRU Blue, so I chose this one as regular ones are a bit boring.

Anyway, I've made floor and back wall of cockpit from styrene as line of join of fuselage halves would be very visible. They are painted in black now, wheelbays are painted in Interior Green, and I've added some ballast from lead pellet, fixing it with Kristal Klear.

jrv-sabre-144-003.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A fabulous choice S. and it's particularly nice that it's in 1/144 scale.

Quite a few aerobatic teams used the F-86.  I'm wondering whether it was the most widely used aerobatic aircraft of all time?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

A fabulous choice S. and it's particularly nice that it's in 1/144 scale.

Quite a few aerobatic teams used the F-86.  I'm wondering whether it was the most widely used aerobatic aircraft of all time?

Thanks Cliff, at the moment fuselage is already joined, but having a few iterations of putty-sand-putty-sand on the joins - I think my decision to add some lead balast made a bit worse join of halves, so they were missaligned on places.

It will be ready for engraving of lost panel lines soon, but I work on this one more relaxed as GB lasts until NY - in moments I have a pause on other GBs' entrants...

Yeah, interesting notice about aerobatic Sabres - now I'm thinking about all of those aerbatic teams, and yes, they mostly have different aircraft in inventory, and Sabre was active in few of them.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wings and horizontal stabilizers were glued to the fuselage.

I did small correction on tail section - there was a gap underneath tail, and beetween tail and exhaust - small piece of 0.25mm styrene sheet fixed that gap.

jrv-sabre-144-005.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-006.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

Minor progress around cockpit...

jrv-sabre-144-007.jpg

...cockpit edges painted in matt black, and modified/scratchbuilt loop antenna for radio compass behind pilot seat.

I've made it from stretched clear sprue, and moulded into semispheric hole.

Antenna was drilled from bottom side and painted into yellow...

jrv-sabre-144-008.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-009.jpg

It turned out a bit overscale and more flat than it should be, but having on mind size of it, I think it is similar to the original :)

79625692_1_x.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&v

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Canopy took its place.
I had some trouble masking windshield - it's soooo tiny that I gave up using Tamiya masking tape and used Blutack instead.

First layer of primer was Black Surfacer around cockpit area.

jrv-sabre-144-010.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

After few months finally found some time to dedicate to this one....

I've sprayed white on middle parts of panels as some kind of preshading for yellow livery - grey panel lines will be a bit darker when yellow layer cover white one...

jrv-sabre-144-013.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-014.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-015.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 2

"Inverse" preshading did succeed although it's not very visible on these photos... 

I'll leave paint to cure while I think of how to make masks for blue in most efficient way...

jrv-sabre-144-016.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-017.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-018.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

There have been quite a few lazy months for this one - I couldn't make myself to cutout masks for those yellow and blue stripes, but here we are after the job is done!

I've scaled drawing of this livery to the 1/144, and printed it out on tracing paper. Then I just put some Tamiya tape over that printout, and cut off desired areas.

It actually wasn't so hard to do it as I imagined, given the size of the kit :D

On few places masks are maybe a bit missaligned, but overall I think it turned out pretty well...

Simulation of PRU Blue was done with Gunze H42.

jrv-sabre-144-019.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-020.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-021.jpg

jrv-sabre-144-022.jpg

Now it's only left to paint grey dielectric panel on tail, and antiglare area around cockpit and canopy, and we're heading for gloss varnish before decals...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

This one is going well for you S. Isn't is strange how the jobs we often loose momentum on while avoiding turn out to be far easier than we anticipate.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...