Hello everybody...Well we are quickly approaching an aircraft. Tomorrow is final sanding, polishing, and re-scribing the few lost libes and rivets. UpE9Z48.jpg

ZpJMGgP.jpg

0E5Q4oW.jpg

ZyEWqlC.jpg

iLfYCRy.jpg

baEgKq8.jpg

wu8f1kV.jpg

After that theres not much left to do before paint. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hi Dennis.  It's really nice to see this kit being built for a change, particularly in SCW colours.

I started a radial-engined version a few years ago (Bolivian).  I'm now thinking that I should dust it off for this year's KUTA!

Cheers

• Like 2

Just now, CliffB said:

Hi Dennis.  It's really nice to see this kit being built for a change, particularly in SCW colours.

I started a radial-engined version a few years ago (Bolivian).  I'm now thinking that I should dust it off for this year's KUTA!

Cheers

Thanks Cliff... This should be in paint by Sunday and Im looking forward to it. For a 50 year old mold its actually quite good. Yes you should put into KUTA it deserves its day in the Sun. 

• Like 2

Hello everybody... I was able to spray the RLM65 today. I will let it cure for a day or two before i start the upper colors. vMZZeQ3.jpg
The big bump on the starboard wing is a drop of white glue to mask the landing light. 

qrRPTGj.jpg

I see now that i goofed by adding the “V” braces for the Horizontal stab. Im going to either get creative with masking or possibly adapt the scheme to account for those ? Possibly brush painting the colors under the braces ?  

oHRilSD.jpg

I did not forget to do the control surfaces. GEa2Sy4.jpg

Or the main gear or crew entry doors. 

c4iBLRI.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Good morning everyone... I pulled a long session tonight on the A/B and got the first color sprayed down on this. Its a custom mix for RLM63 and i think its pretty good. 
Uet5X4l.jpg

mYmQHFM.jpg

gSbCCjW.jpg

All of it free hand on the demarcation between the 63 & 65. I will have to most likely hand paint around the stab “V” struts. Thats why they're taped of for now. I will let this cure and spray the next color in a couple of days. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

Evening everyone... I spent several hours today spraying with a total of 6 colors  I was able to get the darker green done and will let that cure. HhpUbZR.jpg

nJb5ohG.jpg

OeCGmiv.jpg

Next up is the the RLM61 brown color, so far so good. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Well I think its a success. It needs a few touch ups particularly the tail surfaces and under them. The full span flight controls need the lightest color sprayed. In my rush to get paint on this, i forget to tape them in place before i did the first color. The first photo is to show the last stage of masking. xCayGu1.jpg

Next is the finished product. 

an9oOjd.jpg

TSPrNXI.jpg

huIipP6.jpg

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Lookinggreat there Dennis. Certainly a very colourful camouflage. 

Quick question,  just how many models are you building at a time? There are 5 in this picture alone! 

ZyEWqlC.jpg

Colin 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Colin W said:

Quick question,  just how many models are you building at a time? There are 5 in this picture alone!

Your count is pretty accurate Colin. I usually build between 3-5 at any one time. The most Ive ever done was 7 at one time but that got a bit stressful. I find it hard to do just one at a time so i start another to use as a fill in while things are drying/hardening on model one. Then i realize hey model # two is still drying. Just maybe i can start another... which is how it usually goes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... please be patient with me as I have every intention of getting to this. I sadly had to say goodbye to my beloved friend and companion of 16 years this morning. My Martin was a pugnacious pug 
iLOWTTy.jpg

and took no guff from anyone. He will be missed and I'm taking time along with SWMBO to grieve. I will check in daily but just cant see myself building anything yet. Please everyone have a good day. 

Dennis

• Sad 5

On 1/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What I do to deal with raised lines is take 800 - 2000 grit W/Dry during the sanding polishing stage and lower all the lines until they're almost smooth. For me it works just fine, and it never really gives me any issues with the decals then. 

Now that is a good idea which I'll be trying on the next suitable model I build. I loathe scribing and don't get me started on rivets :angry:

Nice subject choice, I think going lighter on interior colours is very sensible even in my preferred 1/48 scale.

@TonyTiger66 Good to hear from you, sorry it's from a hospital bed though. My I-16 will make an appearance later on. SCW GB Take 2 will rule :D

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Losing a friend is always hard, remember the good days though and it will be a tiny bit easier. Good call on holding off model-making IMHO too.

• Thanks 2

Hello everyone... Trying to do something to take things off my mind. I was able to place all 10 decals on this today. Its not much and the rudder crosses need to be trimmed for sure, Italeri made them way to big. But here it is in all its glory with markings on. 
Ga5tjsQ.jpg

K3QuRbL.jpg

r4aDLNr.jpg

QtsvSyY.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

Hi Dennis

First of all my sincere condolences on losing Martin. We lost our 16 year old golden retriever "Dizzy" many years ago, i still get upset when i see another retriever, pathetic isnt it !

To return to more cheerful things your Ju-86 is a delight, the definition of the colours looks perfect, can you say which colours your chose, or did you mix them yourself ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dennis,

I would like to also offer my condolences on losing Martin. Very upsetting. A cat that theoretically lived at a neighbour’s home when I lived down under; “Gobble” went missing the week after I left; last October. He spent most of his time with us and genuinely was a good friend. Even though I left the country, the news was saddening. Pet friends really do become just like people friends. They’re often more cuddly too. 😔 

My sincere apologies for the ludicrous delay in providing info regarding the model/photographs. I will PM tomorrow. No longer in hospital, but 3 weeks of being as much use as a chocolate teapot afterwards, then a week in London at Infected Blood Inquiry.

Now back home and, for the first time in a few months, with Mrs. Tiger here, not 11,000 miles away 😊.

You have done a beautiful job on this Italeri classic. Your model looks so authentic to the original subject. I too am fascinated to know your colour choices, so far I have used Agama, Life Color but these colours here look superb. 😍 🤗.

When your Ju-86 is finished; a little request: Any chance of a black and white photograph of it? Maybe with a little ‘age’ tint? I suspect it will be hard to tell from the real thing. 👍 

I will message tomorrow, meanwhile, keep on keeping on; its so good to see a SCW/GCE subject done justice like this 😊. It will help take your mind off of Martin too.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dennis

First of all my sincere condolences on losing Martin. We lost our 16 year old golden retriever "Dizzy" many years ago, i still get upset when i see another retriever, pathetic isnt it !

To return to more cheerful things your Ju-86 is a delight, the definition of the colours looks perfect, can you say which colours your chose, or did you mix them yourself ?

cheers Pat 

Hello Pat Thank you for the Condolences and i return them for Dizzy. As for the Junkers i opted to use both out of bottle colors for the RLM 61 and RLM 62. The RLM 61 is Tamiya's XF68 NATO Brown. The RLM 62 is AMMO 0206 which is BS641 or FS34079 and Ammo lists it as RLM 81. The last color RLM63 is a bit of a hard one and i had to mix the color. I used Tamiya’s RAF colors Medium sea grey XF83 6-7 parts to Tamiya RAF Dark green XF81 2 parts. 

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

You have done a beautiful job on this Italeri classic. Your model looks so authentic to the original subject. I too am fascinated to know your colour choices, so far I have used Agama, Life Color but these colours here look superb. 😍 🤗.

When your Ju-86 is finished; a little request: Any chance of a black and white photograph of it? Maybe with a little ‘age’ tint? I suspect it will be hard to tell from the real thing. 👍 

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Dennis,

I would like to also offer my condolences on losing Martin. Very upsetting. A cat that theoretically lived at a neighbour’s home when I lived down under; “Gobble” went missing the week after I left; last October. He spent most of his time with us and genuinely was a good friend. Even though I left the country, the news was saddening. Pet friends really do become just like people friends. They’re often more cuddly too. 😔 

My condolences on “Gobble”. Thanks for the comments, believe it or not they actually mean a lot. Coming from someone that I think knows quite a bit about the period/theater of conflict. I have listed the colors above as Pat @JOCKNEY also asked. Here is my best attempt at aging the photo’s as i no longer have a sepia filter it wont be perfect. Up first are the Noir filter’s

l1SOPLs.jpg

Nob4ofD.jpg

0AzI6dg.jpg

Next up is something called a Silver-tone filter. 

MW9J6MX.jpg

Nob4ofD.jpg

5xtJa7W.jpg

Personally I think it would be better in a Sepia tone but don't have the ability. I hope they look as good in B&W as they do in color. When its finished and nicer outside I may take it to the local airport to get some more photo’s. 

Dennis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Well I almost didn't do a very good job on the landing gear but fixed it before the glue set. As you can see shes on her gear and everything is holding. fvAnzDq.jpg

D3ymrsw.jpg

GENW6ZD.jpg
Not much left to do. The canopies, antennas, flat-coat, and weathering. Not necessarily in that order. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ?

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everyone... Next update we have done the flat coat, added the canopies, and mounted the two guns which will be visible. The dustbin turret is done but it will be tucked up inside the plane so not visible. Though to be fair the guns still need to be painted yet. OgohUVV.jpg

v4yAN0j.jpg

XSHGrhR.jpg

GQbbqAU.jpg
I cant express enough to anyone building one of these or contemplating such a build. LEAVE THE CONTROL SURFACES OFF THE WINGS UNTIL EVERYTHING IS DONE !!! I have already repaired both sides three times, because i picked the model up by the wings. Pick it up from the fuselage only once you've added them. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... Well I pulled this down today and added the props. Im going on a few B&W photos of Spanish/Condor Ju.86’s. The front of the props are polished metal and the rears are a dark color Not dark enough for black so i went with a chocolate brown as this seems to be a common color on props of the era. The props are only mocked on as of now. zc1zY2h.jpg

Qloja6A.jpg

tBFrTGq.jpg

ENJLhYx.jpg

XryGztB.jpg
Now if anyone has any knowledge as to the color please speak up so I can repaint them if needed. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2