1/72 - Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Gudkov LaGG-3 by Clear Prop Models - 3D renders

Homebee

On 2/4/2020 at 1:27 AM, Learstang said:

The Roden kits aren't bad, but the moulds are getting old, and the attempt to have just about every variant of the LaGG-3 buildable from one moulding means that there are quite a few parts, some which don't fit that well, such as the nose scoop (if I remember correctly). Still, I've built a couple of them and they came out looking like LaGG-3s, and I have a couple more I'm working on (series '11' and '66'). With a little work, you can make a nice model from them.

Regards,

Jason

Would you recommend using the Roden decals or wait until this arrives and use the leftovers (presuming there will be enough for more than one)? I like the LaGG but haven’t dared building one yet.

Again me being grumpy and non sociable, there are at least few people on this forum that scan all the possible news outlets from farflung websites, forums, blogs, social media for any news and updates, and in most cases it takes them less than an hour to bring that news to this forum.

Lately there is almost once a day " any news?"

bringing alive old topics, in my highly subjective view this equals to trolling-lite...if there is any news on a certain subject, it will be on Rumormonger in tens of minutes, if not hours, certainly less than half a day, so for anyone reading this rant, if you dont have any news of your own to bring to the topic, please don't resurrect dormant topics, thank you in advance-rant over.

P.S. Facebook Clear Prop page is the best source for news updates regarding the brand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Would you recommend using the Roden decals or wait until this arrives and use the leftovers (presuming there will be enough for more than one)? I like the LaGG but haven’t dared building one yet.

I used aftermarket decals, from AML, for my LaGG-3s. I didn't use the Roden decals.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Again me being grumpy and non sociable, there are at least few people on this forum that scan all the possible news outlets from farflung websites, forums, blogs, social media for any news and updates, and in most cases it takes them less than an hour to bring that news to this forum.

bringing alive old topics, in my highly subjective view this equals to trolling-lite...if there is any news on a certain subject, it will be on Rumormonger in tens of minutes, if not hours, certainly less than half a day, so for anyone reading this rant, if you dont have any news of your own to bring to the topic, please don't resurrect dormant topics, thank you in advance-rant over.

P.S. Facebook Clear Prop page is the best source for news updates regarding the brand.

Spot on.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:33 AM, John Thompson said:

Just bumping this topic to see if anyone has something new to share! Or any news about the Clear Prop 1/72 Su-25, too.

John

3 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Oh for heaven's sake - really? Okay, I promise I'll never do it again. Until next time...

John

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Torbjorn said:

The Roden decals are useless, the red stars are completely translucent on anything but a white background. I got a PrintScale set to finish my model.

The kits themselves are very much short run stuff; terrible fit of the wings to fuselage, oil cooler and air intake at the front. Still, with patience and lots of sanding you can get an adequate result.

9vFUZsL5Oiu3aWjk13NAh7vT.jpg?f=fotoalbum

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Torbjorn said:

Are you affraid to build the Roden kit? :D

59 minutes ago, Borisz said:

Are you affraid to build the Roden kit? :D

Hehe, not really - I love their kits and got plenty but the decals are plain awful. Too late now anyway because I built it. 😎

And yes, the decals were just as translucent as sroubos promised, I filled them in a bit with a paintbrush.

Does one dare to ask whether there are any news by the way? Since it’s being bumped anyway 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

It's been another 10 months (yes, I know there's a war going on) and not a single new word about this new 1:72 LaGG-3. Does anybody know anything?

And one more thing - didn't someone at Clear Prop get the idea of using 80% of the La-5 sprues to create the first decent La-5FN or La-7 in the gentlemen's scale?

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

I think the main problem with getting an accurate La-7 is that most scale plans of the thing disagree wildly with each other.

And nobody has made the effort to 3D scan either of the surviving examples.

I mean, we all know that 1/48 Gavia (and its 1/72 Eduard and HobbyBoss derivatives) obviously have a blunt nose.

But is the overall fuselage length correct?

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, warhawk said:

I think the main problem with getting an accurate La-7 is that most scale plans of the thing disagree wildly with each other.

And nobody has made the effort to 3D scan either of the surviving examples.

I mean, we all know that 1/48 Gavia (and its 1/72 Eduard and HobbyBoss derivatives) obviously have a blunt nose.

But is the overall fuselage length correct?

How do you feel about the scale drawings in the MBI La-7 book? Could those have been based on measurements from a real La-7? Also, now that I think of it, many years ago an American aviation magazine (Air Progress, maybe?) published some La-7 drawings which, it said right on them, really were based on actual measurements. I need to pull those out and have a look at them.

John

• Like 1

Well, scanning Kozhedub's machine in Monino, Russia, would be a bit of a tall order now (although not for Zvezda), but I would think it would be easy to access the La-7 at Prague-Kbely for measuring. Why didn't Eduard do that in the first place with their kit, or perhaps they did (despite the incorrect spinner)?  

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, John Thompson said:

How do you feel about the scale drawings in the MBI La-7 book?

Well, for starters, the windscreen in MBI plans is obviously too wide, and the nose is too blunt. They clearly served as a basis for all contemporary models in 48th and 72nd...

On 12/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, John Thompson said:

Could those have been based on measurements from a real La-7?

No idea really. Even if the general dimensions (e.g. overall fuselage length and wingspan) are correct, we still don't know what exactly is wrong with the cowling

- should we add a couple of mm and reshape ('a' is incorrect, but 'b' is ok) or just reshape 'a' and move the fastening ring a few mm back (both are incorrect, but a+b is ok)?

This would also be tricky to measure on the real machine.

40478013761_096eba46ce.jpg

Plans in my illustration above are borrowed from the comprehensive La-5/7 set done a few years ago by Johann on Sovietwarplanes forum.

These plans do seem to show a more accurate cowling and windscreen, but differ in other places from the MBI ones, especially in the vertical stabilizer (which is larger).

When I reached to the author about these discrepancies, he replied with "All sizes and values of La 5 and La 7 were taken from factory-made metrics and books of technical description of La-5/7 publications of TsAGI Institute and factory manuals, which I found in the archives. Part took with proektsy and photographer. But I did not take any size from third-party and untrusted drawings from the network".

Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate about my cowling dimensions question.

• Like 1

Thanks, @warhawk! A few years ago I saw some of "Johann's" LaGG-3 drawings in the Sovietwarplanes.com thread you provided the link for, but he deleted them shortly after that to protect the sales potential of the book he was putting together. Did he ever publish that book?

I have still not checked the Air Progress drawings I mentioned, but I will, perhaps later today. So it seems that anyone who wants to correct existing kits needs to rely on photos where possible. Thank you for your guidance regarding the cowling dimensions.

John

It is a real pity that no LaGG-3s nor La-5s survived the war, and given their mainly wooden-construction, it's not likely any will turn up, even in buried boxes in Burma.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

It is a real pity that no LaGG-3s nor La-5s survived the war, and given their mainly wooden-construction, it's not likely any will turn up, even in buried boxes in Burma.

To be precise, quite a few LaGG-3s and La-5s survived the war. Unfortunately, more than 75 years have passed since the war and today the situation looks much worse.

The Russians exhibit one LaGG and one La-5 in their museums, but the content of the original substance in these exhibits is highly debatable.

The La-5 is officially called a "replica". As for LaGG - I don't know. Apparently, some very tired La-5 is waiting for reconstruction in some museum in the USA.

But in general, the La-7 (there are at least two "true" such a/c), briefly called La-5 pattern 1944, had the same fuselage, cockpit, undercarriage and tail surfaces as the -5FN.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Yes, there were both LaGG-3s and La-5 variants in service at the end of the war, and the La-5 continued in service with the Czechoslovakians for some time after the war. However, Stalin's general 'clean-up' of obsolete, wartime aircraft after the war certainly seems to have taken care of all the LaGG-3s and La-5s in the Soviet Union, at least. That LaGG-3 and La-5 that were exhibited on Poklonnaya Gora are both replicas, my research had led me to believe (I wrote a book on the Lavochkin fighters). The one is the USA is just a fragment - the central portion of the fuselage of a highbacked La-5 containing only the cockpit region. If there are more parts to this relic, I haven't seen them nor read about them.

Regards,

Learstang

P.S. I just remembered that there is a fairly sizable fragment of a LaGG-3 fuselage in a Finnish museum, but I don't know if they have any other remains of the aircraft.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1