1/72 - Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Gudkov LaGG-3 by Clear Prop Models - 3D renders

Homebee

Wow - there really is a Santa Claus! Merry Christmas, all you (us) VVS nuts! I really didn't expect Clear Prop would continue to mine the Russian fighter aircraft motherlode after the La-5, but I'm quite happy to be wrong - I wonder what other nuggets might be in the planning stage! A La-5 and a LaGG-3 of whatever "series" is a bonanza in itself; will they do more than one series of LaGG-3? My Christmas stocking is overflowing - thanks for the excellent news, guys!!!

John (Pushing the limits for number of exclamation marks and scrambled metaphors in one short post)

• Like 1

I am also (very pleasantly) surprised that Clear Prop put their focus on VVS aircraft.

Both their La-5 an LaGG-3 look promising.

Now if they would add a Yak-9 series to their roster, my surprise would turn into sheer excitement.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Really WOW! What a Christmas present!

Only negative thing is that my LaGG-3 stock value just collapsed.... ;)

Cheers,

AaCee

Amen to that - I've still got 6 or 7 of the Toko/Roden one sitting unbuilt, but for a new one from Clear Prop, I'm glad to take the hit!

5 hours ago, Tali said:

They are going to release first LaGG-3 from the 66 Series...

Thanks, Tali! That's what I hoped for, although the CAD rendering shows an earlier series version.

4 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I am also (very pleasantly) surprised that Clear Prop put their focus on VVS aircraft.

Both their La-5 an LaGG-3 look promising.

Now if they would add a Yak-9 series to their roster, my surprise would turn into sheer excitement.

+1 for the Yak-9 VK-105 series, but how much more should we hope for? La-5 and LaGG-3 in one year? Incredible! Maybe we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch... 😉

John

Edited by John Thompson

11 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Thanks, Tali! That's what I hoped for, although the CAD rendering shows an earlier series version.

We've got this render after the initial announcement:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love it! I know it's said a lot around here, but not usually by me - this is going to be an expensive year!

Hmmmm - I need to come up with a new storage strategy for all my future purchases...

John

6 hours ago, John Thompson said:

I love it! I know it's said a lot around here, but not usually by me - this is going to be an expensive year!

Hmmmm - I need to come up with a new storage strategy for all my future purchases...

John

The answer is sell some of your stash 😁 I'm in the same boat - so many great new releases but I've run out of room so time to sell some and give some to charity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Please Clear Prop I long for an La-9 and , or an La-11 !

Wulfman

Or both - me too! Their attention seems focused on OKB Lavochkin, so who knows what might come in the future. I won't distract them by asking for any Yakovlevs or Polikarpovs!  :thumbsup:

John

• Like 2

Although I like the La-9 and La-11 very much I'd rather go for the -5FN and -7 in 2021, please 😃

IIRC the only common part for the whole series (that ClearProp can use from LaGG-3 and La-5 for the -9/-11) is the complete main u/c unit - the leg, the wheel and the cover.

Thus for the La-5FN and La-7 the commonality of parts with the early La-5 will be much greater.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 3

Yes, you're right - although the differences are smaller than for example between Spitfire Mk.I and Mk.21.

And surely it's quite opposite to the Yakovlev single-engined fighter family, where Yak-1/3/11/15 have totally different (leg, wheel and covers) gear than Yak-7/9.

Regrettably this "detail" has been totally overlooked during the recent "manufacture" of Allison-powered Yak-3 and "Yak-9" replicas, which differ only in wing span and area.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, John Thompson said:

Amen to that - I've still got 6 or 7 of the Toko/Roden one sitting unbuilt, but for a new one from Clear Prop, I'm glad to take the hit!

Quick question... whats the Roden kit like ? I found them for $8 U.S., and was considering taking a chance on one ? Or should i just wait for the clear-prop ? 

The Roden kits aren't bad, but the moulds are getting old, and the attempt to have just about every variant of the LaGG-3 buildable from one moulding means that there are quite a few parts, some which don't fit that well, such as the nose scoop (if I remember correctly). Still, I've built a couple of them and they came out looking like LaGG-3s, and I have a couple more I'm working on (series '11' and '66'). With a little work, you can make a nice model from them.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

The facebook page has this as a Series 66, which looks about right, as it has the flat windscreen, retractable tail wheel, and the slatted wings.

Regards,

Jason

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know any news about this topic? Pre-pandemic, the release was expected for the second half of 2020, but now...? I tried to contact Clear Prop via their web site (I also asked about other versions of La-5), but got no reply.

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...