SBS Macchi M.C.72 hydro speed record breaker completed (resin, 1/72nd)

It seems that I have forgotten to post this one, from more than 2 years ago, so here it goes:

(the WiP is here:

Here is this sleek and long neglected by the industry Italian speed record breaker that still holds its title for the category many decades later:

aIMG_7428+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

The model was photographed without beaching trolley, since there is none available at this point.
When the aftermarket industry comes up with one, I'll re-photograph the model. For other seaplanes I built I made the trolleys, but I am sure someone will come up with one sooner rather than later:

bIMG_7432+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

Beware that the box represents the plane without the aft fuselage belly surface radiator, but it is engraved on the kit. The plane flew with and without it, depending on the ambient temperature (season).

cIMG_7400+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

What I did like about this kit:

-The very appealing subject, until now ill-represented by the industry.

-The sturdy box.

-Not a single part arrived broken, unlike other resin kits, thanks to the good thinking on part of SBS adding features on the casting blocks to protect the parts and bagging them properly.

-The casting is flawless, spectacular.

-The detail is truly amazing.

-The engineering is good...mostly.

-The decals are good and gave no problems.

-The instructions are good, but with a couple minor tiny glitches

-The aftermarket P.E. steel set* has the right rigidity; you may like to enlarge those locating holes just a bit on the model, as primer and paint build up.

What could be improved:

-The potentially problematic super-fine texture of the wing radiators, that has to be dealt with using the right approach, otherwise problems may ensue.

-The lack of a guide to get the floats parallel and at the correct distance of one another. This could have been obtained either with an aftermarket beaching trolley or a very simple four-part resin jig, or even a pattern for the modeler to make his own jig, or just a 1/72 scale top view. SBS missed the ball here.

-The not so good way the back legs attach to the fuselage (they attach very well to the floats, though)

-*It would have cost nothing to include one spare P.E. rigging wire length. If you lose one, or mess-up one, you are in trouble.

cIMG_7400+%25281280x960%2529b.jpg

I understand that SBS released another version of this plane (there were three of them built, two were destroyed) and some were modified during their lives).
Beware that the subject represented here is not in the same finish of the one currently at the Vigna Di Valle museum in Italy -with black exhausts, a long metal plate on the sides and intake duct in black-, but the plane at a different stage of its life.

cIMG_7419+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

cIMG_7422+%25281280x945%2529.jpg

dIMG_7433+%25281280x952%2529.jpg

eIMG_7409+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

hIMG_7429+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

IMG_7435+%25281280x1036%2529.jpg

• Like 34

8 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

That is beautiful Sir.

1 minute ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING and Very IMPRESSIVE float Aircraft. 

:thumbsup:

Quite EFFULGENT in that Splendid Color.

PRISTINE  workmanship.

:goodjob:

:worthy:  KUDOS.

You are being exceedingly kind.

I guess I shall take the praise as a Season's gift 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

An absolute stunner Moa.

Happy Christmas.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!

Merry Christmas to you, Happy Hanukkah for me, and whatever else may correspond* to the delightful and always kind membership and creators of BM.

*Dare to think, for example, how @Martian Hale celebrates in Mars!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Well then you get more celebrations than I per year. You lucky person. This year I don't have to worry about anyone.  I'm just sitting here planning tomorrows modelling program.  Such fun........

That's right!

And I am doing exactly the same, but in a more abstract or virtual way, since I am away momentarily from the building board.

I also discovered than while planning and musing and pondering and disquisitioning about modeling I commit much less mistakes (if any at all) than actually making models.

So here we all are, united in spirit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks Stuart!

Merry Christmas to you, Happy Hanukkah for me, and whatever else may correspond* to the delightful and always kind membership and creators of BM.

*Dare to think, for example, how @Martian Hale celebrates in Mars!

He doesn't or at least tries not to :humbug: but does hope you all have a great and peaceful time.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Obviously a work of love – the resin kit and the model both!

The M.C.72 is arguably… no! definitely the most beautiful racer ever. I remember standing next to it in a state of rapture in the Vigna di Valle museum outside Rome.

Fantastic model and finish.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Perilously close to a belligerent airplane, C.  What must it have been to fly, like saddling up a shark.

You don't say, John!

A few years ago, as I was snorkelling in Kauai's north shore, stupidly in somewhat murky water, a shark passed just in front of me, the dorsal fin may be an arm distance from my face.

Believe me, they won't take it kindly if you would try to ride them.

14 hours ago, billn53 said:

Lovely!

Thanks Bill!

13 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Obviously a work of love – the resin kit and the model both!

The M.C.72 is arguably… no! definitely the most beautiful racer ever. I remember standing next to it in a state of rapture in the Vigna di Valle museum outside Rome.

Fantastic model and finish.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim

It is perhaps the "standard" for racing hydros.

But look what Santa left (this makes choosing a bit more difficult, doesn't it?):

49274954062_54c2029eab_h.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Moa said:

You don't say, John!

A few years ago, as I was snorkelling in Kauai's north shore, stupidly in somewhat murky water, a shark passed just in front of me, the dorsal fin may be an arm distance from my face.

Believe me, they won't take it kindly if you would try to ride them.

Thanks Bill!

Thanks, Joachim

It is perhaps the "standard" for racing hydros.

But look what Santa left (this makes choosing a bit more difficult, doesn't it?):

49274954062_54c2029eab_h.jpg

Well, maybe it has a different kind of beauty. Not in the same class visually as the harmonious M.C.62, in my eyes, with all that spindly struttery… 😉

Good luck with the build, though! I hope that your model will fare better than the tragedy that ended the brief saga of the S.65. Y'know – what with curious cats, a breeze through an open window, a loose shelf…

I'm not trying to pox you!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/12/2019 at 22:03, Moa said:

It seems that I have forgotten to post this one, from more than 2 years ago, so here it goes:

(the WiP is here:

Here is this sleek and long neglected by the industry Italian speed record breaker that still holds its title for the category many decades later:

aIMG_7428+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

The model was photographed without beaching trolley, since there is none available at this point.
When the aftermarket industry comes up with one, I'll re-photograph the model. For other seaplanes I built I made the trolleys, but I am sure someone will come up with one sooner rather than later:

bIMG_7432+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

Beware that the box represents the plane without the aft fuselage belly surface radiator, but it is engraved on the kit. The plane flew with and without it, depending on the ambient temperature (season).

cIMG_7400+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

What I did like about this kit:

-The very appealing subject, until now ill-represented by the industry.

-The sturdy box.

-Not a single part arrived broken, unlike other resin kits, thanks to the good thinking on part of SBS adding features on the casting blocks to protect the parts and bagging them properly.

-The casting is flawless, spectacular.

-The detail is truly amazing.

-The engineering is good...mostly.

-The decals are good and gave no problems.

-The instructions are good, but with a couple minor tiny glitches

-The aftermarket P.E. steel set* has the right rigidity; you may like to enlarge those locating holes just a bit on the model, as primer and paint build up.

What could be improved:

-The potentially problematic super-fine texture of the wing radiators, that has to be dealt with using the right approach, otherwise problems may ensue.

-The lack of a guide to get the floats parallel and at the correct distance of one another. This could have been obtained either with an aftermarket beaching trolley or a very simple four-part resin jig, or even a pattern for the modeler to make his own jig, or just a 1/72 scale top view. SBS missed the ball here.

-The not so good way the back legs attach to the fuselage (they attach very well to the floats, though)

-*It would have cost nothing to include one spare P.E. rigging wire length. If you lose one, or mess-up one, you are in trouble.

cIMG_7400+%25281280x960%2529b.jpg

I understand that SBS released another version of this plane (there were three of them built, two were destroyed) and some were modified during their lives).
Beware that the subject represented here is not in the same finish of the one currently at the Vigna Di Valle museum in Italy -with black exhausts, a long metal plate on the sides and intake duct in black-, but the plane at a different stage of its life.

cIMG_7419+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

cIMG_7422+%25281280x945%2529.jpg

dIMG_7433+%25281280x952%2529.jpg

eIMG_7409+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

hIMG_7429+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

IMG_7435+%25281280x1036%2529.jpg

Very nice work on this SBS kit! 

I like it a lot!

I had it in my hands some time ago but it was simply too small for my bad eyesight.. that said I am building their DH-88 but I had that one in the stash many years.

SBS and MikroMir are both preparing moulds for the M.C. 72 in 1/48 scale. SBS in resin and MikroMir in plastic of course. It remains to be seen if SBS will continue know that it is clear that MikroMir are working on it too...

I had not such a great experience with the MikroMir PC.7... wrong scale and all...

I do have their DH-88 Comet in 1/48 scale but have not yet amassed the courage to start it 😅

• Thanks 1