Macchi M.39 Schneider Cup

3 minutes ago, Jo B said:

Moa, you have great taste. Another beautiful subject.

Are you using balsa wood for the fuselage? If so, what are you sealing it with?

Hi Jo

It is basswood. I never use balsa.

Sometimes I use those wood plugs to plunge a vac, sometimes I just I use the wood, sealed with thin CA and primer and sanded smooth.

Not sure which way this one will go yet.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Jo

It is basswood. I never use balsa.

Sometimes I use those wood plugs to plunge a vac, sometimes I just I use the wood, sealed with thin CA and primer and sanded smooth.

Not sure which way this one will go yet.

I see. Cool.

Thanks for the links to those scratchbuilds. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nuuumannn said:

Moa, I've sent you a PM.

Thanks, nuuumannn!

Although I should warn fellow modelers that the machine at the museum differs in a number of ways from the one that won the cup (the one I will be representing here).

As usual, all material at hand deserves consideration, but only contemporary photos and films are a sure guide for accurate representation of the originals.

Furthermore, regarding photos: never trust blindly the captions. As noted somewhere above on the thread, a great number of photos of the Macchi types (and of course many others) are mislabeled, even in prestigious aviation sites.

Careful research is needed to separate chaff from wheat in order to improve the chances of having a fairly accurate replica.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 23/02/2020 at 05:58, Moa said:

Thanks, nuuumannn!

Although I should warn fellow modelers that the machine at the museum differs in a number of ways from the one that won the cup (the one I will be representing here).

As usual, all material at hand deserves consideration, but only contemporary photos and films are a sure guide for accurate representation of the originals.

Furthermore, regarding photos: never trust blindly the captions. As noted somewhere above on the thread, a great number of photos of the Macchi types (and of course many others) are mislabeled, even in prestigious aviation sites.

Careful research is needed to separate chaff from wheat in order to improve the chances of having a fairly accurate replica.

Cheers

I will follow this with interest, much of what you have written was new to me. I am so interested because I have the 1/24 scale Profile24 Macchi M39 but have not started it yet because I could not find enough reliable information.

Next time you visit the British family visit Duxford or one of the other fantastic aviation museums 😃 

When I go to Scale Modelworld in Telford (I live in Belgium)we always reserve a day to visit Duxford and I was able to take two rides in their De Havilland Rapides. And that is pure fun!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roadrunner said:

sorry i misspoke,

Do you draw a plan of this dolly, I have a 1/48 M39 to build, and need to scratch built one.😉

Not really, I took the front view of the plan, and used it to extract a front plate, replicated the plate for the back, carving the corresponding V sections of the floats in negative (of course shallower on the back) and united those front and back plates with side "boards" and some additional minor structure, adding then a central wheel on each side, and smaller front and back wheels as per photos (in those little wheels the dolly rests when it's inclined in those directions).

Does this help?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How did I miss this? Excellent, excellent ...

On 12/25/2019 at 5:50 AM, Moa said:

many photos captioned as a Macchi M.39 are actually of the very similar (but not identical) Macchi M.52 and 52R. Therefore the first task is to sort out the photos,

Agreed.  One more detail which might assist with sifting through identities:

I understand the M.39 & M.52 had 2x solid horizontal struts spanning between the floats; the M52R replaces these with lower drag bracing wires.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:12 AM, Moa said:

I was gifted some years ago (Thank's David!) this book that has been extremely useful ever since:

Unfortunately I’m not seeing this image - some sort of error? Could I impose upon you to name the title?

On 12/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, Moa said:

One particular detail to have in mind as you build the wing is that the panels were asymmetric, the left wing a bit larger in span to compensate for the brutal torque of the powerful engine.

Such thoughtful, well reasoned design!  He followed this through with one of his wartime fighters too ..

• Like 1

This is a bit lagging behind, since I decided to turn my attention to the other ongoing projects, the London bus, the annular wing and the Sea Lion.

Until I am recovered from this respiratory lingering annoyance, it's much easier for me to build kits (even if they are not shake and bake) than to scratchbuild.

But the time will come.

• Like 2