X-22 clear or gunze

Vinster

Hello all, following using Windsor and Newtons gloss varnish for a while I have realised that for me the varnish doesn't cut it - the varnish appears weak and fogs when in contact with sol and set not to mention the way it is easily removed when rubbing away anel liner or using the enamel thinners recommended to remove the enamel tamiya liner. Despite all this the varnish dries lovely and I have never experienced any frosting from it. 

I am now in search of a new gloss / clear coat I have a jar of X-22 but I heard of how it some times frosts, is it worth a try? I have also heard good things about it drying hard. I am also looking at Gunzes super clear UV cut. Does anyone have any information about any of these varnishes

I tend to use X-22, And so far no problems. Never had it frost - and that's across about 20 or 30 models!

However, I do also use Other Varnishes depending on what I am doing.

I have also used Humbrol clear in the large glass bottle - thinned 50-50 with Tamiya X20A, and this also gives a really nice, bullet proof finish. On it's own, it takes ages to dry, thinned with Tamiya thinner, it literally cuts the drying time by over 75%!!!!! I've been able  to spray a kit (all 1/48 aircraft) and within 20mins, it's dry enough to handle to airbrush the parts of the model I've had to hold whilst spraying the other parts of the model.

X-22 is very similar once thinned. I thin in the same ratios for all my Tamiya paint, using X-20A (all the Tamiya acrylic only no enamel or lacquer paints for health reasons).

Personally it's my main go to varnish along with the X-35 satin, and X-86 Matt (or flat as they call it).

(I have kits going back 8 years to when I got back into the hobby, and not a single one has yellowed or dulled in that time using Tamiya, or Humbrol Clear - after it was launched.... 137 kits currently on display in the house in various locations. Sadly some have been lost along the way after a house move and natural wastage)

Edited by treker_ed
  • Thanks 2

On 12/25/2019 at 8:57 AM, bmwh548 said:

Gunze's clears are my go to products. GX112, GX100, C46 (in that order) all thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner. 

Those are also my favourites, thinned with Mr. Levelling Thinner they dry within a very short time span to a rock hard coat

that's resistant to all decel softeners I've used.

Tamiya's X22 is not bad either, but it only worked for me when I started using Tamiyas own Lacquer Thinner, resp. Mr. Levelling

Thinner. However, I'm a bit more confident using Gunze.

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2019 at 14:46, treker_ed said:

I tend to use X-22, And so far no problems. Never had it frost - and that's across about 20 or 30 models!

However, I do also use Other Varnishes depending on what I am doing.

I have also used Humbrol clear in the large glass bottle - thinned 50-50 with Tamiya X20A, and this also gives a really nice, bullet proof finish. On it's own, it takes ages to dry, thinned with Tamiya thinner, it literally cuts the drying time by over 75%!!!!! I've been able  to spray a kit (all 1/48 aircraft) and within 20mins, it's dry enough to handle to airbrush the parts of the model I've had to hold whilst spraying the other parts of the model.

X-22 is very similar once thinned. I thin in the same ratios for all my Tamiya paint, using X-20A (all the Tamiya acrylic only no enamel or lacquer paints for health reasons).

Personally it's my main go to varnish along with the X-35 satin, and X-86 Matt (or flat as they call it).

(I have kits going back 8 years to when I got back into the hobby, and not a single one has yellowed or dulled in that time using Tamiya, or Humbrol Clear - after it was launched.... 137 kits currently on display in the house in various locations. Sadly some have been lost along the way after a house move and natural wastage)

Sounds like its good stuff - I'd love to see your collection. Thats good I'll probably give it a go saves me a few pennies