1/72 Bandai Star Wars X-Wing Cover me Porkins

Valkyrie

I always associate Christmas with Star Wars, so in a break from my usual Bf 109 blitz builds I’m going for a blitz on Jek Porkins Red 6 X-Wing on an attempted 24 hour build across Boxing Day into the 27th 

49268748342_d66764099f_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Nice kit - ambitious as well!

I spy a very nice set of nippers as well - great for time-saving when cleaning up parts?

Thank you! They are very decent, expensive but hardly any clean up, like hot knife through soft butter too, elegant and precise, especially good for removing glass parts from sprue gate or tricky Airfix mustang masts 

Ive done a few of these X-wings in last few weeks over on the film, fictional GB, so should help with the speed factor

• Like 2

One wing assembly done...repeat please...and then slot together and begin fuselage...might paint smaller parts as making good progress and SWMBO is asleep and still no family plans as yet...

49280788937_98b5465639_b.jpg

• Like 2

First issue, I used the kits decals for red 5 as my research shows the red squadron 6 markings for Porkins were red and not burgundy as in the after market decals sheet! I stole single extra hash marks from a previous build but these were a different shade so I’ve had to cut one off a new red 5 kit sheet, which means that build will now be red 4! Oh well. Decals settling down. I know NOT to disturb these till nearly dry...ask me how I know 

ok beer or gin? 

49280539553_4698538610_b.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

Very nice build, Sir.

I must admit I was shocked to see an X-Wing in this.  What is the kit like to build as it looks like something I would want to get my hands on.

Hi thanks for that. 

I’d give these kits 10/10. Superb intricate, accurate detail, water slide decals are very good too, and contains every decal you might need, from helmet decals to visor/goggles. It’s a snap together kit so no mess and no accidents, giving a super tidy neat build. You can build it up then disassemble to paint the intricate parts. Can be moved once built from attack position or folded and can be posed with landing gear or in a number of in flight poses with the stand. 

I bought one in October, and bought 4 more before I’d even finished the first. Cannot fault these X-wing kits and done a 1/48 snowspeeder which was good too and in the middle of another.

They are not super easy to get cheap here though, especially the special 1/72 and 1/144 set or the Death Star attack set which is 1/144 and has decals for red 2, 3 and 5. 

In theory you can paint any of the x-wings from the movies though you only get 2 droid type heads.

I would highly recommend you try one...

Here are my other builds...red 2 is about finished now and I’m half way through red 3, which are all over on the film and fictional GB..and of course, got red 6 now done.

49182276722_49760fd3d1_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great build, well blitzed Sir. 

Why thank you very much H...I feel it was a blitz, always wanted to try the 24hr sesh....over to you 

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Why thank you very much H...I feel it was a blitz, always wanted to try the 24hr sesh....over to you 

I’m taking the Dads Army approach for this one. 

• Like 1