Question about Tamiya 1/48 military stuff.

fightersweep

Hi all;

Just a couple of quick question as I'm not that familiar with the Tamiya 1/48 military range. 

I've just picked up the HK 1/48 B-17 and want a few vehicles to go with it for a diorama. I know Tamiya did the GMC 6x6 and US staff car, both of which would be very useful, but seemingly gone from the catalogue at the moment. Do Tamiya re-release these at any point or rotate the series? I can't find the staff car anywhere, and one GMC in Germany that comes out at over £30.00 with postage.

Secondly, any suggestions where I can find any 1/48 US vehicles that would be airfield appropriate? I don't mind if they're injection, white metal or resin.

Thanks in advance;

Steve

the tamiya 1/48th stuff seems to come and go without any real pattern.

i managed to get a few of the gmc's from ebay a few years ago when they were abundant, you want to get a tanker version if you can, you could try the solido 1/50th models, too close to worry about in scale they do a lot of ww2 us vehicles suitable. plenty on ebay ans some are quite cheap.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Tamiya re-release the staff car soon, and I may just buy the GMC from Germany. I have the fuel truck, but I'm trying to find out if they were used on bomber airfields. I had forgotten about the Solido stuff. I used a bunch of their stuff on a diorama I built for a museum back in the 90s. I've got the same problem with figures. There used to be loads of USAAF related figures available in 1/48 years back, but seemingly very few now. Luckily, I only need a few ground crew looking types, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Steve

I am currently building 1/48 WW2 airstrip diorama so familiar with Tamiya range. See this thread for discussion of airfield vehicles in various scales. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061961-airfield-vehicles-a-universal-tribute-to-the-groundcraft/&tab=comments#comment-3505141  

Your right the Ford staff car has been unobtainable for some years as a single kit but you can still get it paired with P-51D fighter.  GMCs are still generally available from Japan although occasionally out of stock.

Many thanks for the feedback and links. Lots to look at which should help immeasurably. I have managed to source the Tamiya staff car and GMC, but I'm certainly eyeing up the Gasoline US semi fuel truck and trailer. Perfect for a bomber dio I think even if it ends up being as expensive as the HK B-17!

Thanks again chaps!

Steve