Bringing balance to the force - Klingon Bird of Prey

Quite frankly, I'm disappointed at the lack of Star Trek representation in a sci-fi group build. We have a nearly a dozen X-Wings, a couple Battlestar Galactica, and even something from Space Above and Beyond for heaven's sake! This must be rectified. I started my first 1/48 jet after finishing the YF-21 for this group build, but I think I'll put that on quick hold while I put in another GB entry purely to represent some Trek. 

My choice will be the Polar Lights 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey released last year as part of a two pack with the USS Grissom as seen in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I've had this in my stash since it was released and this seems like a great reason to crack it open. It's advertised as a snap-fit kit, so it should go together pretty quickly. Due to the size I foresee handpainting a lot of the accents instead of masking and airbrush, so we'll see how that works out.

The box is actually really cool, with the decal callouts and color painting guide on the inside sides of the box, allowing them to be printed in color. 

spacer.png

Two green and one small clear runners contain the entire ship. You can build it with wings up or down in "attack" position. The details look great, but as you can see there's a bit of flash on the sprue, if not much on the actual parts. Included is an extensive decal sheet of which 90% of are for the Grissom. Small black two-piece stands are included. 

spacer.png

Thanks for reading! (Also in case it doesn't come across via text, my first paragraph is dripping with sarcasm. I'm enjoying looking at all the group builds and have a TIE Fighter finished on my shelf and an A-Wing in the stash.)

• Like 5

Thanks Dennis. I've been looking up references and will be taking bits and pieces from various different ships. The brunt of my paint scheme it will probably be based on the studio scale ship from the movie, but at 1/1000 scale I'll be more limited in what affects I can achieve. That said, I'm looking forward to weathering this, will be my first attempt at a lot of effects.

I've managed to put the kit together. There aren't a lot of pieces and the instructions are in 5 steps broken up onto two pages. Unfortunately there is an error in the instructions for calling out parts, but fortunately each part is so distinct it doesn't matter. The real downside is there is flash everywhere, including small amounts on almost every part. Maybe because I haven't built a lot of kits, but I'm surprised by the amount of flash present, especially for a kit tooled and manufactured in 2018. I don't remember the 1/1000 Enterprise refit having the same issues, and that was made years ago. I also had to cut down or even remove some of the tabs/pegs meant for a secure dry-fit because they interfered with certain things aligning correctly.

Right now everything is glued in sub-assemblies: main body, and the two wing sections. The engine cover and forward torpedo launcher are also not glued on. Next step will be filling and gaps and sanding, and then priming. To reduce gaps I may have to glue the wing sections to the body, which will make painting a bit harder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Overall, details look pretty good on the kit!

Edited by Shin
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress! Used Apoxie sculpt to fill in some gaps including extending the pole that goes along the bottom of the neck. I also filled in the holes meant for the tabs of the clear engine part, going to glue that in at the end.

spacer.png

I think I'm to going to try and do this in subassemblies and hope any gap at the end isn't noticeable. Primed in grey Stynelrez. 

spacer.png

Then put on my base color. I settled on Mission Models MMP-068, Green Zinc Chromate.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Got more paint on! 

Metal parts are Mission Models Cold Rolled Steel, but most of the other details are hand painted using some Scale75 figure paints I'm trying out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Going to gloss, decal and wash, then try some weathering with rust effects. 

• Like 8

thanks for the comments Dennis & Chris!

quick update - gloss coated with Tamiya X-22, decals slapped on, and panel lined with olive green & black oil paints mixed to a dark green, and with just black on the metal areas. I've also started experimenting with weathering at the top middle, using some brown enamel wash that I'm stippling on. 

spacer.png

I should be in some state of completeness by the end of the group build!

• Like 4

Cutting it real close, but completed 95% of the weathering today. This included using a Mig enamel wash for stippling on grime, a flat coat of Tamiya X-86, then experimenting with pigments and an AK weathering pencil to try and match some of the effects on my sources. I'm pretty happy with the result! Painted up the engines and torpedo launcher via hairy stick, and will finish attaching them tomorrow when everything is dry. Full reveal after the final touches, but here's a little quick preview!

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks Dennis! I was actually able to finish this morning, then saw your message. It did give me more time to take some photos though!

Klingon BoP done. I'm very happy with how this turned out. My original plan was to try oil paint rendering to weather this, but as the deadline grew closer I realized I didn't have time to experiment too much. Especially when I didn't have the oil paint colors I wanted, but discovered I had pigments of the correct colors...  My first time using pigments was on the exhaust of an Abrams tank and was surprised how easily they went on and how great they looked. I tried to do the same here on a larger scale. Was also able to try out an AK weathering pencil a bit. 

This is the first model I've heavily weathered, and found the process more enjoyable than I thought I would. As always, looking for critiques and comments. Thanks to the hosts for this fun group build, and everyone who followed along.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Shin
typo