WiP - 1/48 Lindberg Bristol Bulldog

Thanks everyone!  

Mike - thanks for the tips on the nav lights - I have managed to scratch some together using shaped styrene rod - thankfully the lights aren't too large so they'll look the same enough when they are on the model.

Tomoshenko - RAAF aircraft were unfortunately very boring in terms of markings - all they really had were the roundels, rudder stripes and serial numbers. They were silver overall and had polished aluminium cowlings. This will be my first foray into polished aluminium, so i welcome any tips. I am thinking Alclad Chrome is my best bet - suggestions?

Cheers,

BC

• Like 1

Hi Brad. That's outstanding work on this ancient kit. Love the look of it so far. 

I'm keen on shiny metal planes, and I use the sticky back self adhesive foil tape that builders and plumbers use for insulation and all sorts of things. 

Here's my little Beech 18 in the process, 

IMG_20200310_223639

It takes a bit of practice...... don't try it straight on this one!

If you want to give it a try, get an old no-hope kit from the bottom of the stash and have a play with the material, see how you get on with it. 

There's kitchen foil as well, but it's very fragile and delicate compared to this stuff, plus you got to work out an adhesive solution. 

The sticky-back foil suits me but I realise it's not for everyone's liking. 

Doing Compound curves is the challenge but it's surprising what can be done with a little practice. 

👍

• Like 5

As per Rob's comment above (and he is pretty much a shiny metal Svengali around here as his piccie testifies, check out his builds) you can use the adhesive aluminium tape. Some folk use the dull side of cheap kitchen foil (the good stuff is too thick) glued on using diluted PVA or gloss varnish. I opt for the Bare Metal Foil which is a purpose made self-adhesive foil for hobbyists and modellers alike. Not cheap, and usually not easy to come by, but I'm sure you'll get some via mail order on tinternet. It's good for compound curves too. Here it is on my Hawker Fury build (hope you don't mind me posting my piccies on your thread, the rest is here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027219-revell-matchbox-hawker-fury-mki-172/page/7/😞

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

It may be a little problematic over your various ducts and vents etc, so you could use a combination of a real metal foil of your choice and Alclad. I've used Vallejo Metalcolor over a gloss black base which looks pretty good too. I think a combination of proper metal foil (again check out Rob's builds for tips) and Alclad or similar paint on the ducts and tricky bits will give it a nice contrast as per a real aircraft and really pay dividends on this build.

• Like 5

That's some beautiful work on the bare metal foil - it must have taken quite a bit of patience.

I have done small amounts of bare metal foil (small panels on other models), and one thing that I find interesting is that the foil seems to have a 'grain' - has anyone tried polishing this grain out? That's the only aspect of bare metal foil that has put me off the idea of a larger venture to date.

Cheers,

BC 

It does have a grain, as does normal aluminium and most metals in real life, but of course it wouldn't be visible in modelling scales. It can be buffed out using a soft cloth. I use cotton buds (or Q tips as out American cousins refer to them). I think the finer / higher grades of the micromesh cloths and pads such as 8000 or 1200 would work too. Test first obviously. You can't quite tell in my photos, but there is a slight grain effect on my Fury. I think the trick is to buff in one direction so the effect looks natural as on a real aircraft - only the airliners and restored or display aircraft tend to have the mirror finish. I think this will give each panel more contrast at this scale. Check out the vehicles WIP threads, those guys really know what they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a lick of paint onto the kit - the engine is now painted.

RAAF machines didn't sport varnished wooden propellers - photos show universally that RAAF machines had painted props. The exact colour isn't known, but it could have been black, brown, or green. I went with the latter. 

djX99ZT.jpgrwrNVYI.jpg
3ExfgMJ.jpg5DR0Yf9.jpg
qQj2thD.jpg

Cheers,

BC

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Wow Brad, your fuselage detail work and the work on the engine have really brought this kit to life. You have done a tremendous job fella.  I love the collector ring colour, weathering you have created. When finished you will, I'm sure be able to post piccies and we will think it's the real thing.  Amazing work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Hi John - the spinner was done with Alclad Chrome. 

I've been playing around with alclads and the silver doped fabric effect. Right now things are a bit reflective (namely the rib tapes), but I quite like the way that the light reflects and changes based on the angle - at some angles the rib tapes disappear, at others they stand out... which makes it really really hard to photograph.... Not sure if i'll hit it with a clear flat to knock down the reflectivity.

8xmD87l.jpg
50zhm5v.jpg
1hUO3nt.jpg
iWNPDcp.jpg

Roundels were sprayed because the Red Roo decals have the red section incorrectly proportioned (arg).

Anyways, I welcome thoughts. After this, i'll tackle the metal panels.  

Cheers,

BC

• Like 15

That's an interesting effect you've produced Brad. Need to remember this when I finally get round to a few planned biplane projects :thumbsup:

Here's where I am at now. I made up a gunsight:

B30KzZY.jpg

And added some more paint. 

YPzjpB9.jpg6Laey8c.jpg
B2UMIRj.jpgSbnphHs.jpg
Mdkz1II.jpgJGbsH4X.jpg

This was my first time using Alclad Chrome, and it was, well, ok. Not as nice as I thought, but ok. Came out more speckley than I would have liked. Probably my own fault as I hear that chrome in particular is especially tricky, even with a gloss black undercoat. In retrospect, it probably is reasonably 'scale', as the aircraft were not spit-polished all of the time. There's plenty of photos of RAAF machines with the metal panels tarnished. There's enough of a difference between these panels and the 'fabric', so it'll do (and I don't want to go back and try it again!). 

National markings were sprayed on. I still need to add the decals, which in the case of RAAF machines is a simple small-sized black serial number on the fuselage. Exciting. I'll add this closer to the finish line (as I still have some handling to go to mount the upper wing and rig the beastie).

All comments, tips and feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

BC 

• Like 16