Colour film of the Royal Review of the RAF at RAF Odiham in 1953,....Awesome!!

tonyot

Thanks Tony, a very interesting film and I am sure that is Raymond Baxter doing the commentary. All those Meteor F.8s in the flypast was something, especially as most of the professionals watching would have known they were obsolescent by then. The half dozen Swifts must have been a bit of an achievement given the problems with the type, I remember reading that at least one barely made it back from the flypast. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Excellent footage.

I wasn't aware that the RAF was still flying B-29 and F-86 variants in 1953?

I don't think the Canadair Sabre had even entered operational service with the RAF at that stage.  As far as I can remember the Sabres which took part in the fly past were from the RCAF.

Edited by Meatbox8
Clarification
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I don't think the Canadair Sabre had even entered operational service with the RAF at that stage.  As far as I can remember the Sabres which took part in the fly past were from the RCAF.

The Sabres entered service late 52/early 53.  Both 3 and 67 Sqns were part of the flypast.

Great video Tony, thanks for posting.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wez said:

The Sabres entered service late 52/early 53.  Both 3 and 67 Sqns were part of the flypast.

Great video Tony, thanks for posting.

Hmm.  I think Aeroplane Monthly might have led me astray.

7 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Hmm.  I think Aeroplane Monthly might have led me astray.

I got my details from Duncan Curtis' ( @Sabrejet  ) book Sabre: The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service.

The first formation, 24 from Duxford were RAF, the second formation of 36 from North Luffenham were RCAF.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

Excellent! My Dad was one of the Airmen on the parade! And Bill Waterton flying the Javelin prototype mentions in his book "The quick and the dead" this flypast in amusing detail!

Granto 

• Like 1

There is a lovely book "Coronation Wings: The Men and Machines of the Royal Air Force Coronation Review at Odiham 15 July 1953" by Eric Bucklow (published by Hikoki) that has a full diagram of each formation and the aircraft and crews involved, as well as excellent colour drawings of the unit colours worn. Unfortunately it is now out of print but it is worth getting if you can track down a copy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Irish 251 said:

There is a lovely book "Coronation Wings: The Men and Machines of the Royal Air Force Coronation Review at Odiham 15 July 1953" by Eric Bucklow (published by Hikoki) that has a full diagram of each formation and the aircraft and crews involved, as well as excellent colour drawings of the unit colours worn. Unfortunately it is now out of print but it is worth getting if you can track down a copy.

Agreed, I just can't lay my hands on mine right now :(

Thanks very much tonyot ! Never seen this before , my dad was on one of the Lincolns . Some of his mates were on (B29) Washingtons, Hastings and Shacks.

Great film . Never see the likes of ever again

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wez said:

I got my details from Duncan Curtis' ( @Sabrejet  ) book Sabre: The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service.

The first formation, 24 from Duxford were RAF, the second formation of 36 from North Luffenham were RCAF.

See attached, showing both RAF and RCAF Sabre formations, routes and timings:

Image1

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:31 PM, Lord Riot said:

Wow! I need a time machine.

What an air force we once had. Wish it was like that now.

In terms of numbers sure, but in terms of quality the RAF of today is IMHO better than it was in 1953.

With the exception of the then new Sabres, the whole fighter force in that video consisted of types that were no match against the then current fighters of the main potential enemy. The RAF in 1953 was in an uneasy situation where many types were obsolete and their replacements were still not ready.

Different story for the bomber force, with the Canberra being a very good type that could do well in those years and the upcoming V-Bombers being all good aircraft.

Still, it's a very interesting video ! And I second the comments on "Coronation Wings", worth searching for a copy

Edited by Giorgio N