Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
tonyot

Colour film of the Royal Review of the RAF at RAF Odiham in 1953,....Awesome!!

Recommended Posts

Hi Tony.

 

Thank you for digging this out of the archives, fantastic piece of history.   Robin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tonyot said:

The colour film in this link covers the story of the Royal Review,....... the numbers of aircraft and men involved are mind boggling; https://www.forces.net/services/raf/our-archive-raf-coronation-review-1953

Sounds like Raymond Baxter doing the commentary

Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tony, a very interesting film and I am sure that is Raymond Baxter doing the commentary. All those Meteor F.8s in the flypast was something, especially as most of the professionals watching would have known they were obsolescent by then. The half dozen Swifts must have been a bit of an achievement given the problems with the type, I remember reading that at least one barely made it back from the flypast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent footage.

 

I wasn't aware that the RAF was still flying B-29 and F-86 variants in 1953?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fantastic film, unfortunately we'd struggle to do that today. I loved the sound of the Javelin too! So got me DSLR now where's  me time machine

.........rats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I need a time machine.

 

What an air force we once had. Wish it was like that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice film. I did two tours at Odiham and now, here I sit watching this in my ex Officers Married Quarter at Hemswell!

I didn't know they once had Meteors here though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant that Tony.    I watched it three times, as I remember my dad (stationed at Uxbridge drill instructor then) going on about that and being involved didn't spot him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Excellent footage.

 

I wasn't aware that the RAF was still flying B-29 and F-86 variants in 1953?

I don't think the Canadair Sabre had even entered operational service with the RAF at that stage.  As far as I can remember the Sabres which took part in the fly past were from the RCAF.

Edited by Meatbox8
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I don't think the Canadair Sabre had even entered operational service with the RAF at that stage.  As far as I can remember the Sabres which took part in the fly past were from the RCAF.

 

The Sabres entered service late 52/early 53.  Both 3 and 67 Sqns were part of the flypast.

 

Great video Tony, thanks for posting.

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wez said:

 

The Sabres entered service late 52/early 53.  Both 3 and 67 Sqns were part of the flypast.

 

Great video Tony, thanks for posting.

Hmm.  I think Aeroplane Monthly might have led me astray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Hmm.  I think Aeroplane Monthly might have led me astray.

I got my details from Duncan Curtis' ( @Sabrejet  ) book Sabre: The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service.

 

The first formation, 24 from Duxford were RAF, the second formation of 36 from North Luffenham were RCAF.

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent! My Dad was one of the Airmen on the parade! And Bill Waterton flying the Javelin prototype mentions in his book "The quick and the dead" this flypast in amusing detail!

 

Granto 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valenstitch said:

Javelin prototype m

I thought I saw the blunt nosed Javelin prototype, also a straight winged Vulcan prototype, oh dear, How I wish I was a little boy in shorts with his notepad at the fence in those wonderful days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lovely book "Coronation Wings: The Men and Machines of the Royal Air Force Coronation Review at Odiham 15 July 1953" by Eric Bucklow (published by Hikoki) that has a full diagram of each formation and the aircraft and crews involved, as well as excellent colour drawings of the unit colours worn. Unfortunately it is now out of print but it is worth getting if you can track down a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Irish 251 said:

There is a lovely book "Coronation Wings: The Men and Machines of the Royal Air Force Coronation Review at Odiham 15 July 1953" by Eric Bucklow (published by Hikoki) that has a full diagram of each formation and the aircraft and crews involved, as well as excellent colour drawings of the unit colours worn. Unfortunately it is now out of print but it is worth getting if you can track down a copy.

Agreed, I just can't lay my hands on mine right now :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much tonyot ! Never seen this before , my dad was on one of the Lincolns . Some of his mates were on (B29) Washingtons, Hastings and Shacks.

Great film . Never see the likes of ever again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wez said:

I got my details from Duncan Curtis' ( @Sabrejet  ) book Sabre: The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service.

 

The first formation, 24 from Duxford were RAF, the second formation of 36 from North Luffenham were RCAF.

See attached, showing both RAF and RCAF Sabre formations, routes and timings:

 

Image1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 6:31 PM, Lord Riot said:

Wow! I need a time machine.

 

What an air force we once had. Wish it was like that now.

 

In terms of numbers sure, but in terms of quality the RAF of today is IMHO better than it was in 1953.

With the exception of the then new Sabres, the whole fighter force in that video consisted of types that were no match against the then current fighters of the main potential enemy. The RAF in 1953 was in an uneasy situation where many types were obsolete and their replacements were still not ready.

Different story for the bomber force, with the Canberra being a very good type that could do well in those years and the upcoming V-Bombers being all good aircraft.

 

Still, it's a very interesting video ! And I second the comments on "Coronation Wings", worth searching for a copy

Edited by Giorgio N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...