Finding Aftermarket Parts

MikQuattro

I struggled with where to post this question cause it is very general in nature, but I chose this forum because I'm specifically referring to WWI-era aircraft kits (although I'm hoping if there is a clear answer it could be applied to all).  I'm amazed by all of the incredible aftermarket parts that are out there for kits....resin engines, PE detail sets, landing gear sets (with ballooned tires, why is this not a standard thing in kits?!)...it's all amazing but also overwhelming.  The problem I'm having is finding kits that have these detail parts available for them.  I've seen some sites that have a list of detail parts available for the kit you are viewing, but they aren't always accurate or complete.  And I've seen detail sets that say they are for certain manufacturers, but that makes be wonder if a detailed tire made for a 1/48 scale Eduard kit wouldn't work for a 1/48 kit by someone else. 

How do you guys go about choosing a kit that has the available detail kits that you want, or finding detail kits after you've chosen your model?

Generally an after-market tyre/wheel/prop/seat for a Roden 1/48 Alabtros D.Va will - should - suit any make of kit. Its usually a matter of how the part fits to another kit

Some makes like Roden or Eduard, which are re-boxed by Revell and others, have numerous spare parts which I use on the old Merit/Monogram kits to improve them

That's good to know, and I'm guessing that the extent of any required modifications just depends on the detail kit and the model.  But still would love to know how you guys go about finding detail kits to match the model you are interested in or vice-versa

Get yourself over to www.scalemates.com Type in your kit maker, scale(type in 1:48 not 1/48 or your chosen scale) and you usually get a list of after-market products. For the Revell 1:28 Spad XIII

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04730-wwi-fighter-spad-xiii--327708#

Edited by fubar57

Hiya, it almost sounds to me like you are over -thinking this, let me explain why. Back in the day, the machines used a lot of common componants, eg a LeRhone engine would be fitted to 15 different aircraft types. Vickers machines guns were fitted to virtually all Allied 'planes, and likewise the Spandau ( a Vickers deritive btw) was fitted to German machines. So, this scenario actually makes your search much easier. All you need to do is decide which areas of a model you would like to detail, then buy the needed componants disregarding what kit or type they are advertised for. Gaspatch do guns, sights, asi, wheels, turnbuckles. Airscale do instruments etc, Taurus do engines, magnitos, pulseometers, nuts bolts and a miriad of other parts. Czechmaster do engines, Aviattic does decals and cowlings, rudders, figures, etc, Pheon do decals, Part of Poland, Eduard, HGW, do photo etch. Kind of a long winded explanation, but I hope you get my point. Regards, Pete in RI

Mik,

What europapete said. I've always decided on what a/c I want to model, and then go from there to find what I need for it, and IF there's anything available. Then again, I decided to model WWI a/c back in the late 90's when there were: a) so few kits, and b) hardly any aftermarket.  So, I guess what I'm trying to say is find the a/c you're in love with and go from there. 

Also, as the Led Zeppelin song says, "all that glitters is not gold". Just because it's aftermarket, and just because it says it's for a certain kit, doesn't necessarily mean it's better than what came in the kit, if it will fit, or if it's even needed!  A case in point:  I prefer to model in 1/72nd, and I love PART p/e sets, but sometimes they go a bit overboard. I'll never use all of what's on those frets. 

HTHYMMV,

Warren

I would agree with the other comments. I have many kits that I have detailed with aftermarket parts designed for other kits. The key is, what are those parts? Are they designed to fit the specific kit parts, or are they engines, wheels etc that should fit any kit? A case in point, I recently built the Airfix Heinkel 111 and bought an after market resin undercarriage kit designed for the Hasagawa kit. It was a waste of money, it didn't fit. I have also ordered resin engines from Choroszy and Smallstuff which fit anything with a little bit of adjustment to allow for the thickness of the cowlings. Wheels should fit anything, as long as they had that size of wheel. But please do NOT use ballooned tyres. Tyres only spread out at the contact area if they have too low a pressure. Just look at your car tyres, aircraft ones are no different, they do NOT "balloon"!

Ian

Even if you won’t necessarily want to order from the uk, the hannants website has an excellent search function to discover relevant products. Select aircraft accessories or the specific type of item you want, and scale, and keyword the aircraft type.