More Than One Shade of Green

Aircraft could not (and still not) have been perfect all the time. Covering whatever came their way with paint that was within the same color scheme. In fact my buddy who flew Blackhawks in Iraq had four different black color on his bird. 

I decided to do the same on my Revell B-17G. At first it was to cover up my salt chipping fiasco. I used an olive drab to cover up, what looked like a sneeze from Silver Surfer, and to try out my new air brush. 

Have any of y'all done this using different shades to give it a more "workhorse" look? 

I'll post a picture later today. 

Looking for honest feedback 👍I know I can count on y'all.

I had often thought about this, especially when seeing footage of the 324th bombing group. The Memphis Belle in particular was a patch work of what looks like Olive Drab and RAF Dark Green. 

I guess that you used what ever paint was available at the time.

Incidentally, and if you've not seen it yet, the documentary "The Cold Blue" is superb! Highly recommend it.

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Thanks 1

They tended to salvage any needed parts from anywhere available so the paint could easily match another airframe from another factory.  I always wanted to build Little Miss Mischief which had a Vega built natural metal front end and an entire rear section from the ball gunner back from a painted Boeing version.  I think Honnington & its 1st Strategic Air Depot was a main location for salvage & rebuild in the UK during the Eighth Airforce’s stay.  Any extensively damaged but still flying B-17s were sent directly to Honnington to land or crash land.  They were then either rebuilt or parts salvaged for further rebuilds.  May have been a panel here or an elevator there or even patches across the airframe.  Add to that in the field paining & touch ups, I doubt you often saw a one colour fortress

• Thanks 1