Best 109 kits of each variant

Adam Poultney

Ha, this is a good idea:

Myself built 48 & 32 all variants. Anyway: I am burnt from Eduard Gustavs. Wrong, less wrong, no choice. See my thread on this matter.

Most impressive is Wingsy in 48. 

AMG is no choice, same quality as Clasic Airframe.

In 32 just ZM maybe correct.

But, life is more complicated:

I have all technical papers from Gustavs. All versions. Approx. 1000 pages printed.

So, if you check s Gustav: Most kit manfactors do not explain what variant, sub variant sub-sub variant they do. The sub variants are a jungle by itself just on the engine and cowling matter only!

Do not get lost on weapons. Secondary issue!

Believe me, in this matter you get lost easily. Even as an engineer with lots of knowledge, after 3 decades  of modelling,  I gave up.

I use all Eduard kits, well knowing all of them has flaws. Really, if I say ha, this kit is correct, I am 100% sure, it takes some time and I notice the flaw or error unseen before. 

I started to ignore it, otherwise you get crazy! 

As I said, Wingsy is most promising. I have other japanese kits from Wingsy, they all are excellent.  Clean, well detailed superior to all known companies. 

Do not get mad! Thd cowling issue and engine issue have the energy to drive you mad.

Get your energy to achievr a correct smooth camo! Most modeller can not do it properly. But here on this forum this way an issue some weeks before. Italian 109 perfect done in RFI.

Happy modelling 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Hispano Buchon

1/72

1/48

1/32

Those are some notable blanks!

For 1/48 and 1/32 your only accurate option would be your favourite Bf 109 G kit (for 1/32 the Hasegawa or Revell kits are best, for 1/48 best use the Tamiya kit) together with the SBS conversion set, which I helped design. The set is spot on accurate, unlike any previous kit or conversion. I hope an 1/72 set is to follow, but this is outside of my control.

https://www.sbsmodel.com/search/buchon

Note there are Tripala conversions as well.

https://www.sbsmodel.com/search/tripala

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, fishplanebeer said:

When considering which 'Emil' to build in 72nd scale it's a bit of a no brainer now thanks to the excellent Special Hobby kits that blow everything else out of the water IMHO, including the latest AZ examples.

Regards

Colin.

Those Special Hobby 109e kits are not exactly "no brainers".  Their biggest, most visible flaws are the too wide canopy and too long undercarriage legs that feature downspouts for brake lines.  Tamiya's kit still holds it's own.  If the slightly too short fuselage bothers one, you can substitute an ICM fuselage or cut the Tamiya fuselage and lengthen it.  Whether you chose the Special Hobby kit or Tamiya, both are excellent kits, each requiring some tweaking.

Edited by Wm Blecky

13 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Those Special Hobby 109e kits are not exactly "no brainers".  Their biggest, most visible flaws are the too wide canopy and too long undercarriage legs that feature downspouts for brake lines.  

Though I must admit to not having 'seen' the kit, surely the length of the undercarriage leg depends on the weight it must bear.

1 hour ago, Denford said:

surely the length of the undercarriage leg depends on the weight it must bear.

If it's designed/moulded as extended or even unloaded, like the Academy P-47s do... It is quite noticable.