Best 109 kits of each variant

Adam Poultney

3 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

I can’t think of many serious modelers (serious enough to be reading this discussion forum) who would even think of using Tamiya kit decals.   There must have been about a million and six different Bf 109 decals produced in 1/48 just in the past 30 years or so, so it’s not as if anyone is going to go lacking for decals for the gem-like Tamiya kit.  Their choice of subject matter is pretty pedantic in any event.

I was just trying to be objective, and I certainly have a slew of aftermarket decals from which to choose when I build my Tamiya G-6. However, I must say I used at least some of the kit decals on more than one Tamiya build (Meteor Mk. I, Do 335, F-16C) and found them to behave quite decently.

• Like 3

Besides the eduard kits I find the Zvezda 109 G-6 a very good build. Not easy, but with full engine and good cockpit interior. Underestimated and very good value for money, I did not count the rivets, but it very much looks like a 109.

Volker

On 12/23/2019 at 6:30 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Sorry for another 109 thread, but I don't believe this information is all collected together in once place (it may be scattered throughout a thread somewhere but not in an easy format to find anything easily that I know of). What are the best Bf109 kits of each variant in each major scale? I would like to make a list on this thread for ease of access to the information. Personally, I am particularly interested in 1/72 the most, but I'd like to do this for all the major scales.

For each variant I would like to record the most accurate and the best value kits, and which subvariants are available for each

*This list is far from exhaustive and I still likely miss some information, I recommend you read the discussion on this if you want extra information. Some variants will have multiple kits listed, this will be because there are multiple very good kits and not one distinct best.

I have asked a similar question before, but a lot of variants are missing, I have taken some of the information from that thread for this. If you disagree, or if I've missed anything please do say so. I am far from the world's leading expert on Bf109 kits.

Llyn Ritger (Mr 109) and his website "The 109 Lair" would likely have a lot of extra info. He has published a set of volumes on the 109s . I'm not sure if the webby is still up but Mr Google will know. HTH JH

if you are interested in 1/32...

E

DML / Cyberhobby are superior to Eduard in almost every respect

DML only make E-3, E-4 and E-7 Trop (only Eduard make an E-1)

F

Hasegawa (and reboxed by Revell) have good overall shape and excellent fit

Trumpeter's F-4 is really closer to a G-2 (I'm not sure about their G-2)

both are decent kits in my view

G

Trumpeter do play here but not as good as Hasegawa across the board

G-6

Revell could have been so much more but some really shitty design decisions as well as actual shape errors

For me Hassy easier to build, but there is now lots of aftermarket for Revell, so depending upon what you want, it's a toss up between them

if the G-6 is your thing, take a look on Large Scale Modeller where there was a super extensive review done by Matt Low and Mikester I believe - both 109 experten

G-10

Only Revell have done a proper Erla in injection mould

K

again, I don't think trumpeter match Hassy or Revell, where these two have pros and cons; Hassy does go together nicely

if you are really into accuracy, look out for resin cowling / entire nose replacements from AMUR Reaver (they are Russian, available on ebay)

hth

• Like 1

Having built both AZ's G and F's, I have to say that despite looking nearly identical in the box, the Fs are MUCH better in terms of fit although the smaller parts are still a bit fiddly and have a short-run feel to them.

Seeing as 1/24 features in the OP's list, I will offer a very brief verdict on what's out there. The Airfix 109E is (to this amateur at least) a lovely kit - very basic by modern standards, but a decent shape and fit, and ripe for detailing. Having both types of canopy certainly helps. The Trumpeter 109Gs and K-4 are as detailed as you would expect from a modern release. There are plenty of reviews which give the full account of all the pros and cons, which I won't attempt to improve on, but suffice to say that they turn into very impressive models! 

The 1/72 Kovozavody Avia S-199 fuselage looks as if it has been corrected around the front wing/fuselage compared to the old AZ 109G kits, which had the awkward nose due to this.

4 hours ago, Luka said:

The 1/72 Kovozavody Avia S-199 fuselage looks as if it has been corrected around the front wing/fuselage compared to the old AZ 109G kits, which had the awkward nose due to this.

Interesting that you should mention this.  Some time back on a 1/72nd forum, I saw this pointed out and AZ's resident know it all, Jane Pulke, would not even address that.  This was when they were still trying to convince everyone that their 109 kits were "accurate" using the justification they had won an award from some model show.  Jane would chose to attack and threaten anyone who pointed out that their kit is flawed rather than to man up and admit they erred.

It's funny that KP (which is the sister company to AZ) got the nose/fuselage of their S-199 right, why hasn't AZ been able to?

• Like 1

AZ has changed the nose of their later G kits, although have not produced revised versions of their earlier releases.  I must admit being amused at the reference to the AZ kits as "old", which does rather restrict the vocabulary when referring to (for example) the original Airfix 1/72 F, G, and previous G-6.  Medieval?  Prehistoric? Antediluvian?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, nicholas mayhew said:

not a lot has changed in the 1/32 109 landscape since my post, or have I missed something?

😆

Just hadn't added some of the info posted in a while lol

• 2 weeks later...

Having built all three brands in the last 2 years I disagree with some of the opinions expressed so far.

Zvezda kit seems accurate in proportions but has some soft details including an odd upper side vs lower side of the elevators...the detail is good when you look at the upper view and non existent in the lower. But the real weak point is that the dihedral angle of the wings is too  shallow, and this is visible in a photo posted on a previous comment in this thread.

IMG_3184

Eduard looks equally accurate to me, and has the best details OOB. I prefer them above others

SAM_4409

Tamiya offers the easiest to build kit, with accurate proportions and good detail. It’s also the most expensive of the lot.

48133578033_911c122f0e_b.jpg

basically all 3 are splendid kits and only personal preference (or wallet size) can make one choose which is better

• Like 5

On 21/01/2020 at 13:09, Holzhamer said:

basically all 3 are splendid kits and only personal preference (or wallet size) can make one choose which is better

Ok, I'll list all three with their respective advantages and disadvantages

Edited by Adam Poultney

• 9 months later...

Returning to the original purpose of the thread covering all Me/Bf 109 kits by variant Special Hobby have recently announced their new 'Emil' E-4 which looks very interesting indeed.

Of course we won't know how good it is until it actually hits the shelves but looking at the advanced pics on the big 'H' which show positionable leading edge slats, flaps and ailerons plus detailed engine it could be a real winner. Certainly if it is anywhere near the quality of their P-40 Kittyhawk Mk1a which I'm currently building then it should be well worth the investment at just over £13 so I have just put 3 on back-order.

Regarding the 'Friedrich' in 72nd scale my next build will be the AZ Me/Bf 109F-4 'Marseille' which to my untrained eye looks to be extremely good shape wise when compared with the plans I have by Lloyd & Carrick. Although not always available in this guise the kit itself is highly detailed and looks straightforward to build so it gets my vote although admittedly I also have the Zvezda kit which looks similarly good but offering limited spares/options compared with AZ.

Tucked away in my stash I also have the AZ 'Gustav' G-2 which I have only perused briefly so far so cannot comment on accuracy of shape but as with the F-4 it comes with many extras and is highly detailed so for the price, compared with the latest Tamiya G-6 and Fine Molds versions (if you can find one) of £20+ it represents extremely good value.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

By all respect, after 30 years of modelling, I simple wonder that many kit manufactors simple can not make a simple equation lenght/scale. As you mentoned and the also Ray Peterson from LSM. Me, as an engineer, I simple wonder. I gave up to argue after building lots of models. Whern you read my posts you will find a little more about my insight and questions. Some are so simple. Check out my profile and for my contents. As the tint of a conapy or a seal of a canopy etc.

If you ever have stand near a good restaurated BF-109 you wonder what kits are realy.

Interesting is, the opposite of accuracy you have at tank kits. I love this manufactors. If we had one manufactor who creates a/c like tanks are for MiniArt, Takom or RFM or AV-Club.

Well, have a nice day and stand healthy!

Happy modelling

35 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

If all the references agreed it might be easier.  Of course that would not prevent them all being wrong.

Where would be the fun in that? If every manufacturer got their 109s right we'd have nothing to talk about.............now where did I put that pot of RLM"84" 🤣

Duncan B

39 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

If all the references agreed it might be easier.  Of course that would not prevent them all being wrong.

I propose that we all switch to 1:1 scale and use originals as our reference material. Wouldn't mind a few more 109s flying around... in friendly hands

11 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I propose that we all switch to 1:1 scale and use originals as our reference material. Wouldn't mind a few more 109s flying around... in friendly hands

An excellent idea in principle, and one which several companies have adopted.  Which unfortunately has not always resulted in compatible kits.  (or, indeed, identical aircraft.)  Relying entirely on existing examples would severely limit the range of possible kits and put up the cost of creating them.  Throw in access to original production drawings, and all modification drawings, and full production lists showing which modification was fitted to which airframe, and full service histories, with full colour photos of each side and top/bottom views for each repaint.  Including paint shop records for the precise tins used, and paint maker's records of pigmentation mixes.  Aahh, and raise the cost of kits to cover the researchers' fees.

While we're at it, for the more complete model include the pilot's height, weight and boot size.

Until then ...

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

This is a really useful topic and I thought I’d revive it as since it started, as we now have AZ and Special Hobby Emils in 1/72 and I was wondering which is the best out of the two in terms of fit and accuracy? The Special Hobby one looks to be the better of the two but was wondering if anyone had done a more detailed comparison?

I also noticed that 1:144 is missing from the list and Sweet do some lovely little 109F kits in this scale.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1