Best 109 kits of each variant

Adam Poultney

Sorry for another 109 thread, but I don't believe this information is all collected together in once place (it may be scattered throughout a thread somewhere but not in an easy format to find anything easily that I know of). What are the best Bf109 kits of each variant in each major scale? I would like to make a list on this thread for ease of access to the information. Personally, I am particularly interested in 1/72 the most, but I'd like to do this for all the major scales.

For each variant I would like to record the most accurate and the best value kits, and which subvariants are available for each

*This list is far from exhaustive and I still likely miss some information, I recommend you read the discussion on this if you want extra information. Some variants will have multiple kits listed, this will be because there are multiple very good kits and not one distinct best.

I have asked a similar question before, but a lot of variants are missing, I have taken some of the information from that thread for this. If you disagree, or if I've missed anything please do say so. I am far from the world's leading expert on Bf109 kits.

+++Bf109 Kits+++

Bf109 Prototypes

1/72

AMG Bf109 v7

1/48

Bf109a (Anton)

1/72

AMG Bf109 a1

1/48

AMG Bf109 a

Bf109b (Berta)

1/72

AMG Bf109 b1

1/48

AMG Bf109 b

Bf109c (Caesar)

1/72

AMG Bf109 c1 

1/48

Modelsvit Bf109 c3 

Bf109d (Dora)

1/72

AMG Bf109 d1

1/48

Modelsvit Bf109 d1

Bf109e (Emil)

1/72

Airfix Bf109 e3, e4, e4/Trop, e7 (?)

ICM Bf109 e1, e3, e4, e7/Trop, e7 (?)

1/48

Eduard Bf109 e1, e3, e4, e7, e7/Trop

1/32

Eduard Bf109 e1, e3, e4, e4/7, e7/Trop

DML/Cyberhobby Bf109 e3,e4,e7/Trop

1/24

Bf109f (Friedrich)

1/72

Fine Mold Bf109 f2, f3, f4/Trop (accuracy)

AZ Models Bf109 f2, f4, f4/Trop (value and detail)

Zvezda (reboxed by Revell) Bf109 f2 (value, easy build)

1/48

Eduard Bf109 f1, f2, f4, f4/Trop, better detail and dihedral

Zvezda Bf109 f2,f4 (more variants?) has engine detail, but detail is soft and dihedral may be flat

1/32

Hasegawa Bf109 f2, f4/Trop, f4, f6 (reboxed by Revell)

1/24

Bf109g (Gustav)

1/72

Tamiya Bf109 g6

AZ Models Bf109 g1, g2, g2/Trop, g3, g4, g5, g6, g6/Trop, g6/R-6, g6/R-6/Trop, g8, g10, g10 Erla, g12 trainer, g14 (value and detail)

Fine Mold Bf109 g2, g2/R-6, g4, g4/R-6, g6, g10 (accuracy) 

1/48

Tamiya Bf109 g6, easiest build but expensive

Zvezda Bf109 g (variants?) has engine detail, buthas engine detail, but detail is soft and dihedral may be flat

Eduard bf109 g (variants?) Better detail 

1/32

Hasegawa Bf109 g2, g4, g6, g10, g14

Revell for g10 only, Hasegawa is better

1/24

Bf109k (Kurfürst)

1/72

Fine Mold Bf109 K4 (accuracy)

AZ Models Bf109 K4, K6, K14 what if (value and detail)

1/48

Hasegawa Bf109 K4 (?)

1/32

Hasegawa Bf109 k4 (reboxed by Revell), might want resin cowling

1/24

Minor/foreign Variants:

Bf109 Z (Zwilling)

1/72

Amodel Bf109Z

1/48

Planetmodels Bf109Z (resin) (?)

Bf109 X

1/72

Amodels or RSmodels? 

V tail

1/72

AZ Models Bf109 vtail g0, vtail g0/R-6

Bf109 H

1/72

AZmodel Bf109 h0, h1, h1/R-6

Bf109 T

1/72

Brengun or Amodel?

Avia S99

1/72

Kovozavody Avia S-199 (???)

1/48

Eduard Avia S99/C-10

Hispano Buchon

1/72

1/48

1/32

Messerspit, honourable mention

1/72

Brengun (accuracy issues, but only kit in injection moulded plastic around)

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 1

Fine Mold has done virtually all of the various Bf 109F-G variants and the K-4, all 1/72. Basic shapes are good as well as simple to build. Can be pricy if no access to Japanese retailers such as HLJ. AZ has done many of the G series, some detail is superior to FM, but there are irritating shape and fitting issues with most of them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

Fine Mold has done virtually all of the various Bf 109F-G variants and the K-4, all 1/72. Basic shapes are good as well as simple to build. Can be pricy if no access to Japanese retailers such as HLJ. AZ has done many of the G series, some detail is superior to FM, but there are irritating shape and fitting issues with most of them.

Ok, having gone through Scalemates' database for every variant done by each, AZ seems to be far more comprehensive. 
AZ will go in for value, Fine Mold for accuracy. 

What about Tamiya's new Bf109g6 in 1/72?

Edited by Adam Poultney

Zvezda 1/72 Bf-109F seems to be well regarded, even if it is "easy assembly". Or have you already chosen the "best" in the 1/72 109F category - I see two kits listed, so Zvezda makes three; they can't all be "best".

John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Zvezda 1/72 Bf-109F seems to be well regarded, even if it is "easy assembly". Or have you already chosen the "best" in the 1/72 109F category - I see two kits listed, so Zvezda makes three; they can't all be "best".

John

Well, best is of course subjective. Do you want absolute accuracy? A kit that fits? The sharpest detail? The best value? It's very subjective, that's why I'll list multiple for each variant if there are a lot of good kits. I guess this will probably be more of a list of the best kits of each rather than a single one, after all there are likely many variants with multiple equally good kits available. 

This list will hopefully be updated as people offer more suggestions and information for each variant so nothing is set in stone. I won't choose a best, because in a lot of cases I'm not convinced there will be one distinct best.

6 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ok, having gone through Scalemates' database for every variant done by each, AZ seems to be far more comprehensive. 
AZ will go in for value, Fine Mold for accuracy. 

What about Tamiya's new Bf109g6 in 1/72?

Honestly, if you purchase the FM kits from HLJ or Plaza Japan, they can be had for the same or less than what you pay for the AZ kits.  That being said, the AZ kits are suited for adding detail or even doing some conversion work to the FM kits.  FM did not release a G-14 with the tall tail.  You can use the tall tail from the AZ kit to fix that.  There are other bits and pieces that can be used on the FM kits as well.  At this point, IMO, the only advantage AZ has over the FM 109G series of kits is that they released the G-12 version.

That being said, my vote would also go to Tamiya's new 109G kit.  I've picked them up from Plaza Japan for $20 Canadian (which includes the shipping) - mind you that is averaged out over a purchase of 5 kits.  Even purchasing 2 or 3 from PJ, they are still a good deal less expensive than eBay or anywhere else from what I've seen.  Again, bits from the AZ kits could potentially lend themselves to making other 109G variants from the Tamiya kit, unless Tamiya ends up releasing those (sure would like to see a tall tail G-14...).

• Thanks 1

Add to the original list: I won't copy it as it takes up too much space:

Messerspit Mk Vb

1/72 by Brengun - at least it was 'built'

Others can comment on the accuracy of which I understand there are some shortcomings

• Like 1

I am in no way qualified to give an extensive commentary on this subject, but a few comments about the AZ 1/72 kits:

* All their kits have an extensive sprue of detail parts with various props, wheels, and other bits. This always leaves many leftovers that can be quite useful in improving other brands of kits.

* Their original series of DB 605A-engined G kits (G-1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 14) are nicely molded but do have some notable accuracy issues that have been discussed here (and elsewhere).

* Their F kits have some minor adjustments to the profile shape that make a remarkable improvement in their appearance. IMHO a worthy competitor to the FM and Zvezda kits.

* The “WNF” and “Diana” G-10’s have the shape issues largely corrected, but add engineering/molding issues that make the fuselage halves quite difficult to assemble.

* The K series is IMHO quite good, with both shape and molding issues addressed. These kits comprise a complete G-14 with a new fuselage sprue (even more leftovers!).

* They make the only 1/72 kit of the unique Erla G-10 (but an odd detail flaw is that you get the wrong oil cooler, whereas the correct shallower, wider one is included as an un-used part in their other G-10’s).

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Denford said:

Add to the original list: I won't copy it as it takes up too much space:

Messerspit Mk Vb

1/72 by Brengun - at least it was 'built'

Others can comment on the accuracy of which I understand there are some shortcomings

Not really a 109 but it can have an honourable mention for sure

19 hours ago, Seawinder said:

What about the Tamiya 1/48 109 G-6?

I'd have thought the Eduard kit would be better. Could be wrong. I've not built either. 

6 minutes ago, MDriskill said:

I am in no way qualified to give an extensive commentary on this subject, but a few comments about the AZ 1/72 kits:

* All their kits have an extensive sprue of detail parts with various props, wheels, and other bits. This always leaves many leftovers that can be quite useful in improving other brands of kits.

* Their original series of DB 605A-engined G kits (G-1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 14) are nicely molded but do have some notable accuracy issues that have been discussed here (and elsewhere).

* Their F kits have some minor adjustments to the profile shape that make a huge improvement in their appearance. IMHO a worthy competitor to the FM and Zvezda kits.

* The “WNF” and “Diana” G-10’s have the shape issues largely corrected, but add engineering/molding issues that make the fuselage halves quite difficult to assemble.

* The K series is IMHO quite good, with both shape and molding issues addressed. These kits comprise a complete G-14 with a new fuselage sprue (even more leftovers!).

* They are the only makers of the unique Erla G-10 in 1/72 (an odd detail flaw of this kit is that you get the wrong oil cooler, whereas the correct shallower, wider one is included as an un-used part in their other G-10’s).

Good information there, thank you. 

I think I'll try an AZ kit myself. I'd quite like a K4 and the K14 can go in the Luft'46 (more like late 45) category I guess I can also build one as a G14 if I get some decals for that. 109 decal sets seem plentiful, just never with all the variants I want in nice schemes.

I have built Airfix's Bf109G, so I think even the original AZ Gustav kits would look better than that. Lipstick on a pig as a few people have said with the Airfix kit. Still looks ok in the display cabinet, but doesn't hold up when looked at closely. Was good airbrushing practice though

• Thanks 1

The 1/72 Tamiya G-6 is good, includes a virtually foolproof method to get the stance of the main gear correct, but although the molding opens the way for other Gustav variants, there is no indication Tamiya will actually do any of them

Some you missed

1/48 scale

Me109K - Hasegawa (Fujimi did one but it is around 2mm short in the nose)

The Monogram (now Revell) was touted for many years as being the most accurate was the Monogram (more rightly a G-10 than a K though) but it missed the (at that time unknown/lesser documented) fact that the cowlings were asymmetric.

S-199 - Academy

Ha1112 - Academy

1/72

Ha1112 - _Classic Plane

Ha1112M (two seater) Classic Plane

Ha1112 Lift here (resin kit)

S-199 and CS-199 KP

Hi all,

All in 1/72 scale.

V1: MPM

Anton to Dora: AMG and Dora Wings from the same moulds,

Emil:

My personal choice is Tamiya over Airfix. Better "look and feel" for me. ICM is like Tamiya but with corrected rear fuselage lenght and worse mould quality.

Friedrich:

I would rank Zvezda on top as an F-2: Better detailed and more accurate than FineMolds and more accurate than AZ/KP F's. Zvezda is accurate, well-detailed and easy to built wit a few little fixes.

What AZ/KP has really done for their F fuselagewhen compared to their Gustav would be interesting to know.

Early Hispano: Amodel

Hispano Buchon: Special Hobby.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 23:30, John Thompson said:

John

I vote for Zvezda F-2. The only part that looks "easy assembly" is the canopy because of its attachment lugs. Many of us have spare, say AZ for example, better looking canopies, with which you get a very accurate in shape, detailed and beautifully molded Messerschmitt. Add a gunsight and it's there. V-P

On 12/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, Adam Poultney said:

I'd have thought the Eduard kit would be better. Could be wrong. I've not built either.

I must say that seems like a rather flimsy way to make the judgement. From what I've found doing a bit of net browsing, both kits have things to recommend them. However, FWIW, here is a quote from a WIP thread here at Britmodeller posted by Basilisk (Peter, I believe) in which he compared the Eduard, Tamiya and Zvezda 1/48 G-6 kits:

"... My verdict is as following:

Tamiya

Very accurate with some nice features, making it the top choice.

Zvezda

Also very accurate but a bit over engineered. If the Tamiya kits are too easy for you and not challenging enough, this is the kit for you.

Eduard

The least accurate offering. Yes it is still a nice kit and lots of sub-variants on offer. And if having rivets implemented is a must, this is the kit to get - just a shame about the many little inaccuracies."

Apparently the Tamiya kit suffers for an OOB build from their usual thick decals, and although they have the option for open engine panels, the engine itself is oversimplified.

On 24/12/2019 at 13:22, Charlie Hugo said:

The Monogram (now Revell) was touted for many years as being the most accurate was the Monogram (more rightly a G-10 than a K though) but it missed the (at that time unknown/lesser documented) fact that the cowlings were asymmetric.

Internet Myth. 

The Revell kit I think was someones pet project at Revell, none of the other 1/48th kits they did at the same time had engraved panel lines, and this was the best of the bunch.  The asymmetric cowl was known about, and discussed in John Beaman-  Last of the Eagles, in 1976, the first serious and generally accurate attempt at dealing with late ware 109's.(misses the Erla cowlings, and the production plant specific features, but these were unknown at the time) 

The kit is a spot on match for these drawings BTW.

the Revell  cowling,  it IS asymmetric,  this is the Revell nose.

Revell%2520109%2520G-10%2520%2520nose%25

the starboard side , top, does kink in,   the port side,  does not, the arrows point to the kink, and lack of.

thus the cowling is asymmetric  (for why, see link below)

The exhaust pipes are a little too high, this, and more are discussed,  with photos, on the late refined cowling, in the linked thread.

The kit, while dated, still makes a basically very well shaped model.  Bear in mind it is now 40 years old... one of the best from it's era.

On 24/12/2019 at 13:22, Charlie Hugo said:

S-199 - Academy

Ha1112 - Academy

AFAIK, all the 1/48th Academy 109 and developments, ie the two above, are  all originally Hobbycraft  toolings.

Hobbycraft used a lot of the basic data from the Revell G-10 kit as well, which is a good thing as the bits they copied were, exhaust height excepted, accurate.

HTH 

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The kit, while dated, still makes a basically very well shaped model.  Bear in mind it is now 40 years old... one of the best from it's era.

Agreed. Mine looks right in shape for the most part, although the paintjob was rushed and I didn't put much effort into the build. I simply wanted something to practice mottling on and a 109 is great for that. 

I want to do another G10 in 1/48 to replace the Revell one I did and do it up nicely with a good paintjob

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I want to do another G10 in 1/48 to replace the Revell one I did and do it up nicely with a good paintjob

Hobbycraft (the UK art supplies shop, not the defunct Canadian kit maker)  have been selling these for £5 in the last couple of Black Friday sales.. 

A good beginner kit, not many parts, fits well, (or it did) 

For those inclined, could soak up some of the leftover Eduard profipack decals for an easy shelf model.

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hobbycraft (the UK art supplies shop, not the defunct Canadian kit maker)  have been selling these for £5 in the last couple of Black Friday sales.. 

A good beginner kit, not many parts, fits well, (or it did) 

For those inclined, could soak up some of the leftover Eduard profipack decals for an easy shelf model.

I'm thinking Eduard kit rather than the ancient but nice Revell. 

Mine actually fit really well. It could do with filler but I didn't bother because it was just paint practice.

On 12/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, Seawinder said:

Apparently the Tamiya kit suffers for an OOB build from their usual thick decals

I can’t think of many serious modelers (serious enough to be reading this discussion forum) who would even think of using Tamiya kit decals.   There must have been about a million and six different Bf 109 decals produced in 1/48 just in the past 30 years or so, so it’s not as if anyone is going to go lacking for decals for the gem-like Tamiya kit.  Their choice of subject matter is pretty pedantic in any event.

Edited by NorthBayKid

2 minutes ago, NorthBayKid said:

I can’t think of many serious modelers (serious enough to be reading this discussion forum) who would even think of using Tamiya kit decals.   There must have been about a million and six different Bf 109 decals produced in 1/48 just in the past 30 years or so, so it’s not as if anyone is going to go lacking for decals for the gem-like Tamiya kit.  Their choice of subject matter is pretty pedantic in any event.

I use Tamiya decals, using hot water makes them conform to the panel lines more or less nicely.

• Like 1