1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Racing

I've finished the kit - well 99% but wanted to get it on here before Christmas.

I must be honest it's been a challenging build and the age of the mouldings meant that some parts were poor fits. Most of the chromed parts were unusable and had to be stripped then sprayed. A few of the flexible parts (on the Q frame) were perished and split into pieces when fitted, and some of the additional details I put on were probably more trouble than they were worth in the end as they can't be seen - especially in the engine department.

I also had to respray certain areas again after a botched attempt at recreating windscreen surround rubbers. I took advice from here and used a permanent marker in the end and I'm happy with the results.

I must have cocked up the front suspension as well as the screw threads sat proud of the body and had to be dremmeled into oblivion. Getting the ride height even close to what I thought was right was a major faff.

It was fortunate that I had two sets of decals with the kit because the originals had yellowed and were intact a bit blurry. The colours were also a bit off. I had to use a couple of them and they broke up when released from the backing, so thank goodness for the other set, which were clearly newer and after-market.

I ended up applying some gloss varnish to the decals only and the whole model will be polished when it's all dry and cured.

I'm aware of some of the faults with my efforts here, but I'm not going to highlight them. If nobody notices, then happy days, but I'm sure a few will spot the errors, but in then end I did feel I'd bitten off more than I could chew with this one. Most of my kits have been military and I find there's always a way to cover up mistakes with a bit of dirt, but with these cars it's much more difficult. I have a lot of respect for those of you who manage to build cars that look like they've come from a showroom. I have a way to go yet, but may not do another one for some time due to all the aircraft I have stacking up!

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome, good bad or indifferent.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Codger said:

You're too harsh on yourself- that's a very presentable model.

I've just acquired a 934RSR; if I can get it looking anything like that quality, I'll be over the moon. Do have a bigger problem, though, as I've got to get it orange!!😟

I'd be very proud of that build, excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin1962 said:

Most of the chromed parts were unusable and had to be stripped then sprayed

Interesting point! I'm battling through a T70 at the moment and can see very little of it staying "chrome"; there's even two version in the kit, shiny and matt. Outer wheel rims can, I think, can stay, but everything else, mainly because of flash lines and sprue gates, need to be stripped and painted. I've also noted that the "shiny" parts still have a glossy finish left after the plating is off (using dilute bleach) which is not keen on liquid poly and needs a gentle scrape.

Edited by MR2Don

20 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Interesting point! I'm battling through a T70 at the moment and can see very little of it staying "chrome"; there's even two version in the kit, shiny and matt. Outer wheel rims can, I think, can stay, but everything else, mainly because of flash lines and sprue gates, need to be stripped and painted. I've also noted that the "shiny" parts still have a glossy finish left after the plating is off (using dilute bleach) which is not keen on liquid poly and needs a gentle scrape.

I found it much better overall to get rid of the chrome and spray with Alcald Chrome.

27 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

I've just acquired a 934RSR; if I can get it looking anything like that quality, I'll be over the moon. Do have a bigger problem, though, as I've got to get it orange!!😟

I'd be very proud of that build, excellent.

Oh no, the orange! I'm not sure there's a pre-made rattle can that is the right colour. If there is then please let me know as I'm still tempted by that kit (despite my comments above!!)

18 hours ago, Martin1962 said:

Getting the ride height even

The rake looks good and one of the best liveries in motor sports!  Agreed with the other comments this is a fine build.  

JCH

Nothing to be ashamed of there, it's a very good representation. Even more worthy of pride is that it fought you, you stuck with it and won. :like:

I'm guessing that one of the 'flaws' you mentioned is the set of blobs on the front light lens. If you're feeling brave and they're surface imperfections on the outside, get a pack of the Ultimate Thinny buffers which would still leave a decent finish on the plastic (even better if you have polishing compound to finish it off). If not, it's the sort of thing which you could chalk up to experience or on-track damage ;)

23 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I'm guessing that one of the 'flaws' you mentioned is the set of blobs on the front light lens. 

Well spotted. As I pushed the lens in the light cluster fell out and I used some PVA glue to stick it back. I haven't checked but it should have dried transparently by now.

26 minutes ago, Martin1962 said:

Well spotted. As I pushed the lens in the light cluster fell out and I used some PVA glue to stick it back. I haven't checked but it should have dried transparently by now.

If the spots are PVA, isopropyl on a cotton tip will take it out. Soak it a bit and rub a while....

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...