F/A-18F Super Hornet

Alright, for my first non-sci-fi jet completed in many many years, is Academy's 1/72 Super Hornet. This model was started by a request from a coworker who wanted to give it as a Christmas present to her Uncle. Like myself, he prefers the F/A-18F, so that was a plus.

I won't go into the trials and tribulations of the build other than to say that Academy has made a great kit of this aircraft, and any problems were the impetus of my own dupidity...

Build page is here...

Sure there are some Push-Fit gimmicks that can be done without, but just cutting those off certainly help with the fit in some places when done so. The detail though is sharp and looks good, and like the Revell it has full trunking and better cockpit detail than the Hasegawa kit.

I do wish the elevators were separate, but at least they were not molded with the fuselage, which made drooping them easier. I also decided to drop the slats and flaps, which required a bit of cutting and additional plastic to be added.

All-in-all, a nice kit and one I will be buying again for my own shelf!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All done and complete, and time to go!

I used some smaller boxes to give support to the wings and nose, and toothpicks to keep the lid from pressing down too far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And thus ends that build. Now I'm taking a break for a week or two before I retreat to sci fi and my USS Falcon build.:thumbsup:

Model on!

Thom.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 24