Xtrakit Supermarine Swift FR Mk5.***FINISHED***

PeterB

With New, 2020 Year, Pete!

(O.K. it's called as Russian wishes, you are more familiar "Happy New Year!")

23 hours ago, PeterB said:

You are right about the stencils, and until such time as your postal service gets back to "normal" I guess you are stuck unfortunately.

With stencil almost no problem, because I have Modeldecal.

No problem with Attacker from AZ models because he is at the local hobby shop:

FB.2

http://www.hobby-you.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_30&products_id=15157

prototype

http://www.hobby-you.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_30&products_id=6641

As You see they are have big choice AZ model:

http://www.hobby-you.com/index.php?cPath=29_30&filter_id=81&sort=products_sort_order&page=all&osCsid=c31023996d8bb2434abe2fbf214d20ee

Which they can sell to anyone who buys including you, but it is not clear how much the delivery will cost and what the delivery* time will be.

So, not problem for my buy Attacker from AZ model but I don’t know why Attacker from AZ model need me if I have Аttacker from CMR with Airwaves photoetched and with decal  from Modeldecal & metal gun from Master Model?

AZ model it's poor plastic copy resin CMR but at CMR this Attaker is not a very good model.

Don't know if the more recent release has more stencils, particularly the FB 2 version.

I don't know about new repack FB.2 but I look old version F.B.2 from AZ models, she have little stencil on decal.

I hope your New Year is an improvement on the current one.

Yes, last year I didn’t have to inject**  pig leg:

20191231-215741.jpg

20191231-215750.jpg

20191231-215803.jpg

😁😁😁
Seriously, thanks for the wishes, but I'm not expecting anything good from the new year, not because I'm a pessimist, I just really look at the events.

B.R.

Serge

* - the question is why can they send or receive something and you don’t? It’s just their work, it’s their profit, they form a common set of orders that need to be sent to customers, then someone travels across the border with a big bag and there they already send their models by normal mail to customers. Naturally, the customer pays for this delivery, but since the delivery is shared between many customers, the increase in shipping costs is relatively small.

But for me, this cost will be significant if I need to send or receive a regular mail envelope.

** - If seriously, I'm warned:

On 12/31/2019 at 3:07 AM, Aardvark said:

I still have to do squid and pork leg, which I want to do as a classic knuckle or what the Czechs call "the boar knee".

Actually in a syringe tincture of soy sauce on grated ginger!

😉😁

An interesting recipe, but for it need a stove with an electric grill with convection, and I have a stove with a gas grill without convection.

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

As you can see I have tacked the wheel doors in place and put on the decs.

DSC02334-crop

This highlighted a couple of problems - firstly if you are modelling it wheels up you will have to do a little work on the doors as they are slightly too big, particularly the inner ones. Secondly, the inboard end of the bays is at a pronounced angle to the centreline, and Sword/Xtrakit would have you glue the lugs on the inner door against the end of the bay. This would result in them being angled to the airflow, which would not only cause a little extra drag, but also means that much more force would be needed to open and close them, which in turn would probably mean a more powerful and heavier jack.

In fact they were hinged in such a way that they hung parallel with the centreline - Airfix have got it right by moulding the front locating lug/hinge longer and angled towards the wingtip so that the front of the door can be positioned inboard of the end of the bay. No big problem as I will remove the front lug and use CA to glue the door in the correct position - I may even fabricate a fake hinge. There will be a short "jack" mounted at the rear as provided on the sprue. That is the first definite error I have seen so far, though there may well be others I am not aware of.

Next step the undercarriage, and if the balance is OK I will also fit the belly tank.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Well it is now standing on its own legs!

DSC02336-crop

Quite a bit of detail touching up to do, but I will leave the rest of the doors off until after I have put the decs on. The main wheel doors may be a shade too long but they were quite close to the ground when the oleos were compressed according to pics. I have fitted the various intakes on top of the fuselage, including 3 tiny ones - shades of the KP kits of my youth - Mig 17, 19 etc. I have 1 small and 2 large left so either they provided spares or else there are some more they don't show! Not much left in the box now - transparencies, bulgy bit that goes behing the seat and was attached to the canopy, 3 wheel doors with 2 tiny struts, pitot tube, and a couple of small pipes or blades to go at the rear - one no doubt a fuel dump pipe. Must have a look at the walk round again to see where they all fit.

I may yet have time to build my Xtrakit Vampire, but I am starting a multiple build for the Scandinavian GB in 2 weeks. However, as my good lady is scheduled for Jury Service for the next fortnight I should be able to crack on and even get my airbrush out so we will have to see.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

I have been using mine pretty continuously for 30 years, but mostly for either single colour finishes or varnishing. I did a 1/72 Mig 29 camo scheme with it years ago, but these days I find it easier to use a hairy stick on small kits as the masking is a pain. However I can see my new one (family Christmas pressie) being used on some of the larger aircraft such as the Lincoln and Manchester I am hoping to build for the Lanc STGB, and it should be useful for things like my Lansen, F4K and Buccaneer later this year. 

I actually have four, two cheapo double action and two rather better Badger single action ones. The problem is getting the paint to the right consistency and holding it steady with my arthritic hands. As Enzo said elsewhere recently, GB should be a challenge!

Pete, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have not forgotten this - started putting the rest of the decs on today and should have it finished sometime next week with any luck. 2 weeks jury service ended up being just 2 hours so I have not had as much modelling time as I hoped.

Pete

22 hours ago, PeterB said:

2 weeks jury service ended up being just 2 hours

😁

Pete, Your wife needs a lawsuit over this jury!! 😁 After all, they deceived You by promising that she would work for two weeks and instead she work for two hours!

This is pure deception and fraud !!!😁😁

Also, think about Your moral damages! 😉😁😁

After all, after spending less time on the models, You probably are experiencing a breakdown (here you need a helper from the doctor! It is advisable that the doctor also be a modeller !!! 😉😁) and depression! 😁

And what kind of depression does Your wife have that they did not allow her to fully reveal her potential in the jury ?! 😁

But even if Your wife does not win this lawsuit, You will still win, because while she will go to court You will make models !!!!

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Just kidding of course !!!

• Haha 2

I have put some decs on, but will delay putting on those close to the canopy as I find Humbrol Clearfix has an unfortunate habit of stripping acrylic paint and decals. I have therefore added the windscreen, the seat and the strange fairing behind it. I am not sure what it is for but it is apparently attached to and slides with the canopy.

DSC02362-crop

It does seem a bit strange providing a nice clear bubble canopy and then filling it with a ruddy big lump but that seems to be what happened. Once the rear canopy section is on and dry I will resume with the decs.

Pete

• Like 4

Pete, 

Your touch of nostalgia was interesting. For me I am constantly amazed remembering what I have built. A bit of pocket money and I was a veritable fully fledged aircraft factory. Something was wrong if the build took more than 30 minutes. It would then sit proudly on the shelf before being dragged out of retirement for a suicide mission ultimately being downed by anti-aircraft fire swinging from the clothes line.

I hope you have enough jet fuel to support your roll-out of post war jets.

Ray  

• Thanks 1

THanks Ray,

Still got a long way to go if you include the Russian, French and American ones, but the "early" Brits are nearly done - Sea Hawk, Hunter and Canberra left. Of course then I have to start the Jaguar, Tornado bomber and fighter, Lightning F6 etc,  not to mention the V Bombers. Perhaps in 10 years I will be nearly finished! Still all these GB help motivate me.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

I have glued on the canopy and the nose tip camera glazing, together with the Freightdog resin belly tank - as it was designed for the Airfix kit it needed a bit of filler.

DSC02383-crop

All the decs are now on so I can fit the remaining bits - undercarriage doors, aerials etc.

Pete

• Like 4

All the bits are on, so just a little touching up to do.

DSC02387-crop

I should be in the same position with the Attacker shortly, so with luck I can spray a satin coat on them this weekend. If the weather forecast is correct I may even get both of them in the gallery on Sunday, in time for the start of my next GB! That will just leave the Vampire alongside my Tunnan.

Pete

• Like 4

Don't know if it my computer but the forum seems a bit wobbly at the moment. Anyway, here is a view of the Attacker with its tail up, alongside the Swift.

DSC02396-crop

As I said in a previous post the tailplanes are at exactly the same dihedral so the sweep on the Swift confuses the eye. It does not take too much imagination to see the resemblance - sweep the wings and tail of the Attacker, lengthen the nose a bit to fit a nosewheel u/c, and fatten up the fuselage and "Eh Voila" - a Swift! All the touching up is done so hopefully I can spray them on Saturday.

Pete

• Like 2

• PeterB changed the title to Xtrakit Supermarine Swift FR Mk5.***FINISHED***

Done and in the Gallery. It was not a bad kit but I am glad to get it finished. As I promised, here is a "group photo" of the last 3 Supermarine production aircraft. The photo has come out a bit on the light side.

DSC02421-crop

Thanks for watching.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Only just seen this in the gallery, very nice build. I'm not convinced by the shape of the kit though

Hi Adam,

As I don't have any plans and the only review I have seen was of the Airfix kit, I don't know how accurate it is - the length and span are close enough. What exactly bothers you about the shape?

Pete

On 1/21/2020 at 4:18 AM, PeterB said:

Done and in the Gallery. It was not a bad kit but I am glad to get it finished. As I promised, here is a "group photo" of the last 3 Supermarine production aircraft. The photo has come out a bit on the light side.

DSC02421-crop

Thanks for watching.

Pete

Terrific line up. Great photo and great personal group build. Best thing about building in one scale is comparison of type.

The deck crew though need to do a bit of work on that carrier deck although highly unlikely that pebble will get sucked into a jet intake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:12 AM, Ray_W said:

The deck crew though need to do a bit of work on that carrier deck although highly unlikely that pebble will get sucked into a jet intake.

It's reserve airfield!😁

It’s better to be at this reserve airfield than on the main shelf,  at gunpoint the armada  Red nose Cat'sfighter based on Pete home!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1