Revell Shackleton AEW2

Last completion for 2019.  Nice model that builds up into an impressive replica.  Seriously, don't waste any time on the fuselage interior aft of the cockpit as it won't be seen & is in any case pretty sparce.  My biggest issue was with the transparencies - the starboard side cockpit window went completely opaque, the port side one is in back to front (I really don't see how that was possible but I managed it!) & the portside after bubble window disappeared inside the fuselage when everything was buttoned up.  I managed to get it out but it can't be fitted from the outside so I have simply used Kristal Kleer which of course results in a flat rather than domed finish.  I REALLY wish model manufacturers would design kits in a way that allowed clear parts to be fitted from the OUTside at the end of the build because in addition to the above problem, it would avoid the risk of the clear parts getting sh1tted up with detritus from sanding etc. - ah well!

80594411_750074392145736_3706611889468342272_n 80578787_461074581257493_6659988855699013632_n

80263834_1017808551907934_8723938349024280576_n 80122839_1241536092723888_5671011758928560128_n

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Very nice-looking Shack! I have one on the build. What did you use for the Dark Sea Grey? I'm planning on using Testors MM Gunship Gray, as it's the closest match I have, but it's a really a bit dark, more like an Extra Dark Sea Grey. Clever with the wings - I've test-fitted mine (the wings are done) onto the fuselage, and they do just snap over the spars. I think I'll glue mine on though, as I've cleared some display space just for my Shackletons (I have more than one I'm building at the moment) and I don't intend on doing much transporting of them (hopefully very little).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

By the way, just noticed the gap at the starboard wing root - the wings are not glued on but fit perfectly when pushed home fully over the twin spars.

For ease of transportation, no doubt :)
Looks pristine like that, just fresh from the shower.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Very nice-looking Shack! I have one on the build. What did you use for the Dark Sea Grey? I'm planning on using Testors MM Gunship Gray, as it's the closest match I have, but it's a really a bit dark, more like an Extra Dark Sea Grey. Clever with the wings - I've test-fitted mine (the wings are done) onto the fuselage, and they do just snap over the spars. I think I'll glue mine on though, as I've cleared some display space just for my Shackletons (I have more than one I'm building at the moment) and I don't intend on doing much transporting of them (hopefully very little).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks.  I used Xtracolor Dark Sea Grey, nice gloss finish for the decals followed by Humbrol satin varnish.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1