Clive's 2019 Haul of RFIs plus the GUR (Great Unfinished Railway!)

clive_t

Hi all, not sure I am going to finish anything else this year, so I may as well post this now. Not a bad year, all things considered.

First off, I set myself the challenge of completing 2 builds at once, with the common theme of 'P-40'. Mainly to see if I could do it and not completely hash it up, but also to address the fact that I had never ever in all my life ever built a P-40 of any flavour! So the result was my take on the Airfix 1:72 Hawk 81-A-2, in tandem with the MisterCraft (cough)1:72 P-40K. The fact that it was boxed as an 'Aleutian Tiger' P-40E should have forewarned me as to the likely pain I was going to endure. Anyway, as it turned out they didn't polish up too bad.

The Airfix result, portrayed as aircraft number 21 of the 1st Pursuit Squadron (The 'Adam and Eves'), flown by Greg Boyington :

3HiFcCb.jpg

KdTa2YJ.jpg

qPwT8Us.jpg

LPTWBw5.jpg

RFI WIP (same for both obviously :) )

The MisterCraft result, portrayed as "Hyde's Harlot", aircraft number 10, the mount of Captain Gordon Hyde of the 78th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group, Kauai Island in 1943:

Y2zN2IS.jpg

t88b891.jpg

avYsXuL.jpg

EwGzONR.jpg

RFI

Next up was my first foray into RS Models, with this 1:72 Re.2005 Sagittario:

goeBHjG.jpg

6FJw6It.jpg

ZHBmRtx.jpg

xs4GUyc.jpg

RFI WIP

After that, and with another project in mind I decided I would have a go at using foil to obtain a bare metal finish - for this, I chose the Airfix 1:72 Mig-15 from my stash. I don't normally do jets, but this seemed a good subject with which to try my luck:

qKw1uzZ.jpg

g2U2z5U.jpg

ERsYlRQ.jpg

lGlPKFp.jpg

RFI WIP

Next, a freebie kit from a fellow Portsmouth IPMS club member - only problem was, it was Hobby Craft's 1:48 interpretation of the De Havilland Vampire Mk.1! But, like the MiG-15 it was an ideal opportunity for another crack at foiling:

uATs4k4.jpg

W4wQ9Uf.jpg

pQJtMSY.jpg

wAtnKwL.jpg

RFI WIP

The next was a quick and not-very-complicated build (hence no WIP) of Tamiya's 1:48 Fieseler Fi-103 'flying bomb', completed just in time to enter into a club competition (no joy, sadly):

mpiuidv.jpg

bvUzQHJ.jpg

6v9OiB8.jpg

V9EEzBL.jpg

RFI

My most recent completion was a small (1:22.5 scale) vignette depicting 2 ex-servicemen:

44ObEIc.jpg

0mgk3NP.jpg

P9zOpYx.jpg

yTOuwTG.jpg

RFI WIP

Finally, and even though such projects are doomed never to finish, I would like to include a few shots from this year's progress with resurrecting my garden railway:

2AovwgN.jpg

itTz9se.jpg

IWYQc7z.jpg

y2lQVMi.jpg

The never-ending WIP

That's all from me, folks!

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my builds, your input is always valued.

Here's to a productive 2020! :thumbsup2:

• Like 18

Nice output for the year Clive.   I'll have to see if you posted a build log for your foiling projects and how feasible it is.   It sure looks effective and I  mused about trying the process when building a W196 earlier this year.   I particularly like your garden railway and wish I could have fit one into my life at some point.   Still think my Flying Scotsman would look just about right sitting on your rails.    I'm about 60 - 70% finished on a favourite Gresley A4 "Union of South Africa" which was a favourite of mine back in my youth.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice collection Clive, merry Christmas.

Thanks Ozzy, and merry Christmas and a happy new year to you.

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the Feisler. But then, there's that railway....

:D There were some challenging times there this year for sure, but I am looking forward to the warmer (and drier, please) weather when I can hopefully get back to it.

43 minutes ago, albergman said:

Nice output for the year Clive.   I'll have to see if you posted a build log for your foiling projects and how feasible it is.   It sure looks effective and I  mused about trying the process when building a W196 earlier this year.   I particularly like your garden railway and wish I could have fit one into my life at some point.   Still think my Flying Scotsman would look just about right sitting on your rails.    I'm about 60 - 70% finished on a favourite Gresley A4 "Union of South Africa" which was a favourite of mine back in my youth.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I would agree with that sentiment, and as long as she didn't try and negotiate any curves it would all be good! Old 'no. 9' is indeed a classic loco, still in steam too although I saw a TV documentary recently where the owner was driving it in Scotland, and he mentioned that he was in his 70s now and was reluctantly having to consider what to do with her :(

. If your model is anything like your Flying Scotsman, it promises to be an absolute corker - I look forward to being proved right :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, albergman said:

I'll have to see if you posted a build log for your foiling projects and how feasible it is.   It sure looks effective and I  mused about trying the process when building a W196 earlier this year.

Sorry Frank, I appear to have neglected to comment on this - there are links to the appropriate RFI and WIP threads after each set of photos in my original thread above.

The foil I used is fairly thick in comparison with the modelling grade stuff, as it is plumber's tape used for securing lagging round large pipes. For that reason, it is significantly less expensive.

I should add that there are a number of other people on here that have done the same thing, and with all due respect to the rest, I would wholeheartedly recommend you take a look at the work of young @rob Lyttle as it was he who inspired me to have a go for myself. It would be a good idea to start with a cheap kit that you don't worry too much about making mistakes on, and see for yourself what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck with it, and it would be great to see a WIP when you get to making a start :thumbsup2:

On 12/24/2019 at 9:59 AM, Gorby said:

Excellent work Clive and always entertaining WIP threads! Too many good'uns for me to choose a favourite.

Thank you Gorby, for your most kind comment - much appreciated.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great builds on a productive year !

Congrats Clive, Well done !

I like these P-40 !! That will re-spark my P-40 WiP !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, I am myself tempted to do another of a different mark in the coming year.

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated. I am pretty keen to get out into the garden at the moment, but I suspect that's because I know it's too cold and damp to do so! Meanwhile, Mother Nature looks at my pathetic attempts to hold her back from encroachment on the tracks, and smiles. Even now I know what will be the first thing on the outdoor to-do list!